Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i usually eat croissants and have coffee and **** loads of water on the trail....
just watching a video and this guy is eating gummy bears and gels???
what do you do?
i have got the Bonk (i think from eating sweet things) and 15k out from base its not nice.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I don't eat whilst riding. I have enough stored energy in the fat in my love handles to ride 500 miles.

However if you eat croissants, gummy bears and gels your blood sugar will be so high you won't be able to access that stored fat and you will... BONK.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
so i usually eat croissants and have coffee and **** loads of water on the trail....
just watching a video and this guy is eating gummy bears and gels???
what do you do?
i have got the Bonk (i think from eating sweet things) and 15k out from base its not nice.
Is your piss clear? You need to pre hydrate daily before the ride. No amount of water just before and during will unbonk you.

Also do the bread carbs before the ride and the sugar during.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Riding N. FL heat and humidity necessitates good electrolyte balance as well as sugar/carbs. SaltStick caps get the job done for me. GU gels are my go-to for a quick sugar boost on the trail. Both easily travel in hydration fanny pack along with 1.5L of water, a couple of Clif bars and some tools. After riding in the summer here, the fall/winter/spring season is a breeze...

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't eat whilst riding. I have enough stored energy in the fat in my love handles to ride 500 miles.

However if you eat croissants, gummy bears and gels your blood sugar will be so high you won't be able to access that stored fat and you will... BONK.
That works fine so long as you are remaining in a aerobic state, but if you're riding requires anaerobic bursts, especially if they are sustained or frequent, your body will not be able to convert fat to energy fast enough to keep up with energy demands and cause you to bonk. Eventually, your body will begin breaking down muscle for energy stores and then You get into a self defeating cycle of trading off muscle for energy.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
I'll have at least 1 nutria-grain bar per hour, anything over 2 hours and I'll pack a few PB&J sandwiches. Bonking sucks big time, bring food and eat it throughout the ride. I don't eat gummy bears while not riding, so there's no chance I'll eat them during a ride, but I'm sure others out there swear by it. I avoid anything with chocolate, its a known migraine trigger for me and it sucks because a lot of energy/powerbars have chocolate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.