Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My buddy Jeff and myself thought we would build a loaner/demo 29er, for anyone the wanted to go for a ride but didn't have a bike, or someone that just want to try a 29er. We came across a pretty good deal on a slightly used Monk and decided this would be it. It's a large frame and was a bit over 7 lbs, with seatpost collar and headset. I'm using just about all parts I had is my stock/parts bin, some new and some used. I would have gotten it finished but I didn't have the right front derailleur:madman: , had a top pull and needed a bottom. I hope to find one local tomorrow and get it finished, if not I'll have to order one.

The build is with mainly run of the mill, mid-range parts. Nothing very light, 2000+ gram wheelset, FSA V-drive EXO crankset, Avid 185 mech, WB BW1.0, Sram X-9 triggers/rear der., wire Exiwolf with tubes, yadda, yadda yadda. All I like is the front derailleur and chain to get it rolling. I was quite suprised at the weight, 30.2 lbs as it sets now. Should be under 32 finished. Not bad for 4.5" travel. With a thought out smart build kit, this bike could be easily under 30lb.

Here's a couple of pics. Hope to get to ride it on very soon.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
Leviathan vs Monk

This is the comparison I've been anxiously awaiting.
Building up a loaner/demo, this guy gets my vote for 29er man of the year.

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
That is awesome. Next year I will have another 29er hanging around. I am almost done selling off every 26" bike and item I own. I can't wait ultil it is complete.

The Monk looks great!

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A couple more pics. Plenty of rear tire clearance with Exi, and fork clearance should be fine for any fork.

Note: This frame does not have any water bottle cage mounts.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
More friends like you

cruzthepug said:
A couple more pics. Plenty of rear tire clearance with Exi, and fork clearance should be fine for any fork.

Note: This frame does not have any water bottle cage mounts.

Steve
That is great! Many posters would love to have a bike like that and you are building it up as a loaner!:thumbsup:

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was able for find a front derailleur and get the Monk finished. Here's a couple of finished pics. The final weight is right at 32lbs. I hope to get it out tomorrow for a test ride. May end up putting on a set of Ignitors, that will drop a bit of the weight.

It may take a bit to get the Swinger shock adjusted, but the first pressure setting seems quite plush. A spin around the block and over some curbs it feels pretty good.

Anyone for a test ride?

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts