Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Does Not Belong on a Bike
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI is closed!

Stopped by the other day and the sign on the door said closed for inventory from the 28th to the 31st and also closed on New Years day. Stopped by today and they have a closed forever sign on the door.

·
Shattering Glass
705 Posts
It's a thin line right now for some shops. Blue Sky in Longmont just shuddered the doors blaming the economy and so did High Gear Cyclery 6 months previously. Get out and support these places. It's going to be hard to mail order a shock rebuild....

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,443 Posts
dash said:
It's a thin line right now for some shops. Blue Sky in Longmont just shuddered the doors blaming the economy and so did High Gear Cyclery 6 months previously. Get out and support these places. It's going to be hard to mail order a shock rebuild....
I thought you just sent them to Push?? :confused:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Jkaber

jkaber said:
I worked at the Bikestation in 1992-1993. They were over by Crown Hill back then.
Hey jkaber...did you go to Wheat Ridge high? I think we went to high school together and were in the MTB club...bike polo and all. I worked at WR Cyclery and Arvada Bike Shop back then. PM me.

·
Home of the Gravedigger
385 Posts
GL1 said:
Hey jkaber...did you go to Wheat Ridge high? I think we went to high school together and were in the MTB club...bike polo and all. I worked at WR Cyclery and Arvada Bike Shop back then. PM me.
Hey GL1, I tried to PM you but your account blocks PM's for some reason. I did go to WRHS and was part of the bike club and polo team, small world! PM me your email address.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Pm

Okay sorry. Just turned it on and PM'd you.

Bummer about the Bike Station. I remember when he moved. I thought his location right there off of I-70 was good. I also remember the ski shop that was in there. Anyway, talk to you soon.

·
Does Not Belong on a Bike
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I live way close to TBS and loved it when I found out that the old Peak guy, I think Dave, was there- wonder where he went? I think he is fairly well know in the LBS circles... I always stopped at TBS first when looking for something, but only seemed to ever be able to get my yearly tubes and sealer from them. My large purchases were made at Peak but they have changed quiet a bit now that you can move around in their shop- kind of a shame. Guess they feel they do not have to offer customer service now that they are not right on you when you walk in.

dash said:
It's a thin line right now for some shops.
Maybe the LBS system needs to change up and think about having better selections- more inventory- none of this, "no, but I can get you one in two days"- if I wanted to wait two days, I would have ordered off the internets

IndecentExposure said:
Pedal Pushers...
+1 for Pedal Pushers though- stopped in about a week and a half ago and Jason answered every question I had and has helped steer me in a totally different direction by showing me different options

Rant done- sorry

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
hojiman said:
Maybe the LBS system needs to change up and think about having better selections- more inventory- none of this, "no, but I can get you one in two days"- if I wanted to wait two days, I would have ordered off the internets
Yeah, ummm low margins, high overhead, craptastic econ=no sales, spells 'yeah right' for your inventory idea. Instant gratification is most excellent. But I'm finding that if you want a deal LBS, like the old brick/mortar electronic stores are getting eaten alive by online retailers. Example, where in LBS-land are you going to find a set of white Codes for $320? THEN, when a sale pops up a week later, I emailed CS and they pricematched their own price and I got it down to $290. Every price I've seen in LBS has put the Codes at around $400 - $450. If LBS are willing to pricematch, I'll keep my business local. But then, you go back to my first sentence - low margins.
The point is when I do get stuff thru LBS, I'm perfectly OK w/, "I can order it in," because when I go thru a LBS is when I can't, "order it in," online.

NOW the rant is over.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
IndecentExposure said:
Peak will price match if you order online... and you can pick it up locally. :)
I've used them before. They're good, if you can get a price match :thumbsup: If not, their prices are generally pretty close to MSRP and not the market price.
However, on big $$ items, I'll still resort to e-tailers simply for tax reasons. Once internet shopping tax is enacted (and you know they will), then the playing field will be more leveled for the brick/mortar stores and I'll prob stick w/ LBS' more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.