Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making this post for 2 reasons: The first one is to show all the people on this forum about this incredible trail and the second one is to ask for replies if someone knows another downhill that is bigger than this.

This trail is located on the Andes near Lima and starts at an altitude of 3,250 masl (10,663 ft) and ends right on the beach (0 masl). It is a 10,663 ft of vertical descend (90% singletrack). The downhill is called Olleros by the town at the start of the trail named "Santo Domingo de los Olleros".

Olleros is a small town on the Andes and it's famous because people (artesans) builds handcrafted ceramic bowls for the Peruvian market.

The trail is an amazing singletrack made hundreds of years ago by the people that lived on that area.

Peru is one of the best places for mountain biking because there are so many towns on the Andes and all of them are connected by this amazing singletracks, that almost all of them can be used for mountain bikes!

Olleros is just one example. Another trail near Lima is Villa Quipan, founded for mountain bikes by Inkas Adventures and where you can descend from 3,650 masl to 600 masl, almost 10,000 ft. of vertical descend!

Here I can post some photos of this amazing trails, to show that this is real!

·
NATE CORE
250 Posts
That looks aswesome. How long does the ride take? Is the trip all-inclusive as in room/food/bike/guide? how much is it?

·
long standing member
3,095 Posts
wayodh said:
Peru is one of the best places for mountain biking because there are so many towns on the Andes and all of them are connected by this amazing singletracks, that almost all of them can be used for mountain bikes!
Spam. :nono:

Regardless, the Peruvian trails look sick and I want to go.

10,000ft descent...yes, I'll have some. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Sombrio69 said:
10,663 ft, damn. i have never ridden on a hill higher than 500feet.
I feel sooooo sorry for you....:cryin:

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,986 Posts
from what I hear the andes have the higgest differental trails

·
Registered
510 Posts
I believe Mauna Loa at just over 13,000ft in Hawaii is the tallest mountain bordering the ocean. I'm sure there are no trails on it but if I had to guess that is the biggest possible descent. Pretty much anywhere else is gonna have alpine conditions at that altitude year round. I've thought about this before. Someone prove me wrong please.

·
Registered
243 Posts
^ Possible descents and existing descents are 2 totally different things.

·
long standing member
3,095 Posts
DeepSouthBuilder said:
I believe Mauna Loa at just over 13,000ft in Hawaii is the tallest mountain bordering the ocean. I'm sure there are no trails on it but if I had to guess that is the biggest possible descent. Pretty much anywhere else is gonna have alpine conditions at that altitude year round. I've thought about this before. Someone prove me wrong please.
Not sure how much ridable singletrack is coming off Mauna Loa (or Mauna Kea, which is actually a little taller, but doesn't really border the ocean) that would lead all the way to the sea. The roads leading to the peaks of those mountains branch off of Saddle Road. Mana Rd. kind-of "half circles" Mauna Kea, but that's more of a fire-road thing (that doesn't approach the ocean) than a descent. I'm intrigued about the possibility, I wonder if any locals have figured anything out.

·
Cannondale17
220 Posts
sounds sweet dude:thumbsup: however haleakala (sp?) on maui hawaii is a huge desent and crazy fun has some knarly single track and some from drops nothin to extreme but the trail and views is unreal definuly one of my highly suggested trails if you get the chance:thumbsup: :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been in Maui but the extreme downhill they offer is on a paved road!
I think it's no extreme and it can be called a road downhill...
They give to wear a suit that I think they have got from the NASA

·
long standing member
3,095 Posts
wayodh said:
I've been in Maui but the extreme downhill they offer is on a paved road!
I think it's no extreme and it can be called a road downhill...
They give to wear a suit that I think they have got from the NASA
Actually, there's an off-road downhill down the backside of Haleakala, starting on Skyline Rd. Nearly 7000ft descent, depending on where you leave the shuttle car. Doesn't reach the ocean, though. Check out the video on Pete Fagerline's site, scrolled down to Maui, HI, the file is called House of the Sun. No space suits required.

·
Turner owner
40 Posts
What about the 'Megavalanche' track in Alpe d'Huez France? Its only ;) 2700 metres vertical descent. But the diversity of the track is insane! Snow&Ice, alpine singletrack (sometimes a bit sketchy) and for dessert flowing singletracks through the forest with some really tight switchbacks. Mindblowing!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nice video and trail on Maui, how can I didn't knew this when I was there! $%/·%$
About the Megavalanche, it an awesome race. Last year I participate on the Megavalanche in Peru but I crashed and damaged my bike on the first 10 meters hahaha
This year I promise to give battle the top pros that the organization sponsors.
Anyone who wants to race the Megavalanche this March 25th.?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
wayodh said:
nice video and trail on Maui, how can I didn't knew this when I was there! $%/·%$
About the Megavalanche, it an awesome race. Last year I participate on the Megavalanche in Peru but I crashed and damaged my bike on the first 10 meters hahaha
This year I promise to give battle the top pros that the organization sponsors.
Anyone who wants to race the Megavalanche this March 25th.?
i heard that trail outside of lima was actually 12,000 foot descent?? oh well, someone hyped it as usual :) there would be many 10k drops in US (california for instance), but illegal as in wilderness area (hell even socal has 10k descents of 100% PURE singeltrack, but illegal). i've done 10k, but mostly fireroads, 8k drop is my biggest pure vert singletrack. one thing about peru riding, it does sound awesome, but is there any real technical trails there (not talking about occasional rocks here and there), i mean steep, chunky, drops, etc combined with HUGE vert?? that is what numerous people would desire. like 10k of tunnel trail , etc. although, even if just pure singeltrack non-technical numerous 10k descents, i'd take that also!!! mt kilemenjaro would be good, but illegal also :madman:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts