Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Salsa Cycles just released info on their upcoming Big Mama. Check it out on my blog

Or after 10:30am CST today you can go to Salsa's new site and see it there.

It's a pretty sweet new rig! :D Thanks to the Salsa Crew for lettin' me ride it first.

·
I like to ride my bike.
1,597 Posts
...now, I know this is the 29'er forum, but at this point you're the only one with info about these bikes. Care to share a little info on its 26 inch little sister? Edit: Bikeman claims the EL K. is a 5in full squish.
Good write-up on the Big Mama!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Looks great, but I'd have to see long-term durability on the "no-pivot" design before I bought one. Works great for the Dos, I know, but how many people are putting their Dos through the rigors this set-up may see...
That aside, solid offering from a great company. Salsa gets it.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Mike B, there are pivots, just none on the stays. If Yeti can do it, so can Salsa. The stays flex only 5mm through the course of the travel of the bike. You're looking at a relatively standard single pivot bike.

Congrats on a great looking bike Jason and the Salsa Team. As soon as I saw it last fall, I knew you had something good on your hands. Now I can't wait to ride one!

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
El Ka-Boinker

RideFaster said:
...now, I know this is the 29'er forum, but at this point you're the only one with info about these bikes. Care to share a little info on its 26 inch little sister? Edit: Bikeman claims the EL K. is a 5in full squish.
Good write-up on the Big Mama!
Yeah, five inches on the El K. It's stays flex even more at 7mm. Otherwise the component spec is identical with a Fox Float RL 140 on front. The head angle is 69 degrees, hmm............color of course, wheel size..:D Yeah, that's about it.

Delivery dates and pricing identical to the Big Mama too.

·
Bikeoholic
537 Posts
Well, I figured I'd want one... and I want one...

Now someone just needs to buy a medium ride it gently for 2 months then sell it to me for $750.00....

Or I need to get a part time job at a bike shop...

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike Brown said:
Looks great, but I'd have to see long-term durability on the "no-pivot" design before I bought one. Works great for the Dos, I know, but how many people are putting their Dos through the rigors this set-up may see...
That aside, solid offering from a great company. Salsa gets it.
Mike B, to add to what martini said, Salsa looked at how the drop out attached to that stay too and added a lot more weld area there to accomodate the the obvious increase in stress due to the slightly flexing stay. Also, they told us that they have never seen a Dos Niner break where the chainstay flexes, so they were extremely confident that this design would hold up.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I understand the design, I think- doesn't it differ from the Yeti in that the Yeti's flex point is carbon?
Anyway, I've learned (the hard way) that when any company tries something new and innovative, it's best for me to wait and see if the new product withstands the test of time before I buy it. A few times, including last weekend, new and innovative designs have failed on me in one way or another, sometimes catastrophically. So, I've decided to not be the "first kid on the block" guy and wait to see if the cool new stuff holds up under others.
Again, super-nice looking bike from a great company. Really addresses a market niche. I will be very interested to hear how it performs in total under long-term use.
Mike

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
The first couple of generations of GF Sugars flexed in the seat stays as well. Although they had some other problems, I do not recall seeing any durability issues on the Sugars and Sugar +'s due to flexing seat stays.

G

·