Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sure can say I can be at every auction end.

So, for stuff I want, is it best to use one of those sniper tools?

Or just put in you max bid on ebays entry and let it handle it?

Or what else?

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
There are dozens of research papers published about Ebay auction techniques. Sniping (manual or automated) is consistently found to be the most effective method for winning auctions.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
The best way to win consistantly is to overbid. Not a good strategy.

The smartest way to win to to snipe. I use AuctionSniper.com, and have been for a number of years (I'm saying that because you have to give them your eBay password, and naturally I had some trust issues with this when I first signed up).

It's a pretty basic process: figure out the max you're willing to spend, input your bid into AuctionSniper, and set it to bid maybe 5 or 6 seconds before the item's end time.

This "hidden" technique avoids the bidding war, and the run-up in price that occurs when two buyers openly compete for the same item.

Usually, when I do win, the amount I pay is considerably lower than my max. Sometimes I'm outbid. Other times my max isn't high enough to make the next bid increment (effectively outbid, even though the winner is a buck or so lower than me).

Best way to lose money on eBay is to assume items listed there are the cheapest. Research everything and you may be surprised that many items can be had for less money on retailer websites such as Amazon, PricePoint, aebike, BlueSky, etc.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Sniping is usually the best. Sometimes sellers will end a listing early if there are no bids and they know people are waiting to the last minute though, so in that case it would have been better to bid early.

Lots of other variables can lead to lower prices at auction end, but mainly it boils down to timing. I have sold stuff on there, had a buyer back out, relisted and sold it for 30% more the second time. Sometimes it is a matter of there being a very interested buyer, other times several half interested bargain hunters. Listings that end at odd hours or around holidays can also be great for catching a good bargain.

·
Registered
531 Posts
im a manual sniper. i set my high bid and sync my stopwatch with the counter. then i wait on the "submit bid" screen. when i have about 1/2 second left i hit submit. seems to be the only way to beat some of the auto sniper programs, but you cant beat em all. automated seems to be the way to go.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
0.5 or 3 or 6 doesn't matter too much, basically trying to get a bid in with not enough time for a human to see, react and counter-bid.

In fact, 6 is better than 3 if two bidders are using automated snipers to bid the dame or nearly similar amounts. $45.00 at 6 seconds beats $45.35 at 3 seconds.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
0.5 or 3 or 6 doesn't matter too much, basically trying to get a bid in with not enough time for a human to see, react and counter-bid.

In fact, 6 is better than 3 if two bidders are using automated snipers to bid the dame or nearly similar amounts. $45.00 at 6 seconds beats $45.35 at 3 seconds.
Is .5 enough to get the bid in?

Anyway... your point is valid regarding the minimum bid increment.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
adept1 said:
Is .5 enough to get the bid in?

Anyway... your point is valid regarding the minimum bid increment.
It's going to depend on how good the net connection is between the sniper and Ebay servers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.