Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
16,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...in the last ten years was to start boating.

Rainy day, trails too muddy to ride? Go paddle.

Snowy day, trails too soupy to ride? Ditto.

Beat down from 5 days in a row on the bike? Go float something, somewhere.

Serious. Having a fallback interest that's still outside but completely complementary to riding has made riding so much more enjoyable for me.

Example: https://mikesee.exposure.co/reframed

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I do like the idea of boating in principle and here in Vancouver we have plenty of places. It does involve more cost (either rental or purchase), but it's a great idea. I can't run (knees), so I guess I could swim, too, but man, I find swimming laps to be one of the more boring forms of exercise ever invented. :) Still, maybe I should give it a try.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I would kill to live near a river where I could learn the art of white water kayaking. Every year I go to Durango, I tell myself I'm going to take lessons but just end up riding.

·
Registered
16,008 Posts
I love being on the water, one of my favorite things for sure but unfortunately it's not really an option as far as a substitute for riding. I'm not that far from some pretty nice river runs but they're seasonal and even a day trip is quite a production and effort compared to skipping out for a 2 hour ride.

I wish I had trails and year round river options in my back yard but I guess everything is a compromise.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I've always considered kayaking as a near perfect upper body /cardio workout compliment to bicycling. I love riding my bikes on trails; I love paddling my kayaks in the ocean.
For the most part, it's a very balanced practice that keeps me in sync with the ocean and in sync with the earth.

·
Cycologist
9,125 Posts
I have kayaks and a couple of rivers a 15-20 minute drive from me. They are mostly flat, which can be good as they can be paddled back to where I put in. One has some mild class 1 rapids and a couple of times I've dropped off a bike at the take out spot and then driven upstream with my son and daughter to float down. I only get out a few times a year, it is a lot more hassle than biking, but I always enjoy it. I'm also a trail runner.

Body of water Nature Natural environment Recreation Water resources

·
slow
7,356 Posts
Our family loves to paddle. but we stick to oceans and lakes. Since the family doesn't bike much, we usually try to paddle together on family vacations. The nearby lake rarely stays frozen for more than a week at a time, but usually we are paddling in warmer weather.

The home water: Horsetooth Reservoir, Fort Collins, CO
Body of water Nature Mountainous landforms Coastal and oceanic landforms Dusk

Cathedral Cove, Hahei, New Zealand
Coastal and oceanic landforms Watercraft Sun Boat Rock

Kenai Fjords National Park, Seward, AK
Body of water Mountainous landforms Water Ice Watercraft

·
Registered
61 Posts
Windsurfing.

Actually, mtbiking started as a way to get me around days of no wind but now I've started enjoying mtbiking so much that it's actually flipped for me...but don't expect me on a bike when epic winds come to visit...:cool:

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I mix things up in the winter with skiing and snowshoeing.

In the summer, I go backpacking, hiking, and canoeing.

With all that though, mountain biking is still number one for me.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I used to windsurf a lot, I really miss it and I plan to at least do some longboarding again someday. It was the times I was chasing the wind and got skunked that moved me back to the bike, driving 2 hrs and sitting on the beach waiting/hoping for some wind, vs driving to a trail where 99% of the time you're going to be able to ride. - maybe I was just a really bad amateur weatherman. I really enjoy mountain biking on the cold damp (or wet) winter days, I don't miss skiing so much either.

·
Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
4,166 Posts
We'll get some winter mornings that might stray near 0°C a couple of times a year and no rainy season so MTB is accessable pretty much all year round.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Whitewater kayaking is incredible for core strength. Every little movement requires it.
My son, who is WAY better now:
Telemark skiing is also good for core, but leg strength, and especially cardio, are off the scale
I got way better also in the last 7 years:
They're both passions. I don't miss biking in the winter and in a big water year, my biking is reduced.

·
Registered
16,008 Posts
If you're an adrenaline junkie I'm not sure that even the most challenging downhill run can compare to kayaking through big water. The river is in control and there's no option to pull over and bail.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
If you're an adrenaline junkie I'm not sure that even the most challenging downhill run can compare to kayaking through big water. The river is in control and there's no option to pull over and bail.
Surfing a sit on top can be adrenalizing. I surfed my Scrambler, an 11'6" kayak, and even got 3/4 of it barreled once. I also got flung off it like a catapult when it submarined on a late takeoff . That wave looked about as high as the boat.
Surfing a sit on top involves a lotta swimming, so it's actually two exercises in one.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
13,842 Posts
Off-road motorcycling, though I don't do it much anymore. Ideally my two wheeled off-road fun is human powered and after 33 years I still love it.

Oh, and camping. I love to camp. It's mid-February as I type these words and I've spent nearly 80 nights out since Labor Day -- all of it with the mountain bike -- in search of fun places to ride. And that's during fall/winter. Summertime is even crazier (I live in the PNWet).

My personal credo: the most fun happens on two wheels.
=sParty

1 - 20 of 134 Posts