Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

I know some people have their favorites, but which one is the best? Does anyone here have a lot of experience with manh of these places???

I'd like to hear about some "tragic flaws" like, for example, Beyond's restocking fee.

Let's get this goin!

Donny

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
donnywholovedsurfing said:
Okay,

I know some people have their favorites, but which one is the best? Does anyone here have a lot of experience with manh of these places???

I'd like to hear about some "tragic flaws" like, for example, Beyond's restocking fee.

Let's get this goin!

Donny
Ive always been happy with Performance. Quick delivery and good prices. Cambria has also been good for me. Fullcycles.com in oregon was also great. Some places charge a ton for shipping, so the prices dont balance out. Beware of overpriced shipping, some of these places make 50% on the shipping charges. Pricepoint, I bought a fork that they had listed as Disc only, and recieved a fork that has disc and v-brake. Not my first choice. The fork works just fine, but the v-brake knubbs irritate me.

Sean

·
Registered
17 Posts
Okay,

I know some people have their favorites, but which one is the best?
That's a tough question. They all have strong points and weak points, don't you think?

I've done business on a personal basis with about ten different online cycling retailers and have ultimately walked away happy.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
I've put together several bikes with a lot of shopping at online stores, and the two best IMHO are Jenson and Bikeman.com. I base this on the fact that when problems arise, they took care of them instead of making you feel like your out of luck. I've never had to call them back after a few weeks, only to find out that an item that I've been waiting for was on backorder.

·
Premium Member
7,610 Posts
Out of the ones mentioned, Jenson. They respond promptly to questions and e-mails, ship when promised, and fix mistakes without question if there is a problem.

That said, I find Chad at Red Barn and Larry at Mountain High my two favorite shops still.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I vote Jenson since I've never been refused a price match from them. They also have great customer service. Cambria has also been good. Never had any serious issues with Performance except they sometimes run out of stock before removing the ad.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've had good luck with Jenson and Nashbar (a division of SupergoPerformanceNashbar, Inc). Nashbar seems to currently have their own fulfillment and shipping staff, and they are fast and accurate. They usually ship my orders the day after they are placed. (non)Performance, OTOH, tends to sit on an order for 2-4 days before they get around to shipping.

Jenson is a couple of area codes away, so I always receive my items from them quickly. Love their closeouts section, too.

Jim

·
Hoopy Frood
255 Posts
E-tailer Experiences

I've ordered many times from both Jenson and Pricepoint. Shipping is always fast, email notifications are sent out with tracking data, and my packages arrive safely and with the expected contents.

I know Pricepoint resells OEM items so I don't freak out if something shows up in a plastic bag instead of a box. If that's an issue for you, you might not like them as much as I do.

Performance was ok but I had a few glitches where items were shown as "in stock" on the site but were backordered before my order shipped. I also had some issues with coupons or discounts not being honored when they dinged my credit card.

I've also had good experiences with Webcyclery, Speedgoat, and Odds and Endos. I've ordered from Bikeman and had them send me substitute items without asking (Avid disc rotors instead of Hayes) so I've avoided them since (although I am probably happier with the Avid rotors after the fact).

Never dealt with Cambria, Nashbar, Supergo, or Universal so I can't comment on them.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've used Performance, Nashbar, Price Point, and Universal Cycles...and I've had good experiences with all of them. That said, I find myself using Performance and Universal the most.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I've ordered from jensonusa, supergo, pricepoint, and cambria. In the past week I've actually ordered something from all 3 (building first FS bike). Pricepoint and Cambria were the fastest, Jensonusa was about a day slower to get the items out the door.

Had an issue with a Cambria price match where they price matched a king headset for a great price, the next day got an email saying they wouldn't honor it. Called them and worked out getting a reduced price (not as good as before) on the headset and was able to get them to sell me a fox shock pump for around half price. Worked out pretty well since I forgot but had planned on ordering a pump.

As others have mentioned pricepoint sells a lot of OEM parts. Can't seem to ever tell from the website. Called to ask about a vanilla fork and they ended up telling me that it was OEM. Asked them why it wasn't advertised and they just said 'I dunno' (although I was talking to someone in the tech dept. after being transferred). As long as you don't have a problem with OEM pricepoint is great

I haven't ever had any issues with Jenson.

Can't say I have a favorite, good experiences with any of the 4 I mentioned.

·
Registered
483 Posts
webcyclery, greenfishsports?

I just made a small order from greenfishsports.com for some tires and minor components. nice response from the so far. we'll see...
i'm done with performance, they totally hosed several orders, one in a multi-dimensional display of ineptitude. i'm done with them and i told them so. Have had good service from supergo (now owned by performance, i think) and cambria.
But for the best service and advice, i always go back to webcyclery. they're the best.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Okay,

Let's get this goin!

Donny
I'm partial to Jenson.
They are right down the road from me, and have a great strore
with a nice group of guys. They always price match, have
great service, and amazing prices, etc.
They sell a huge variety, too.

·
OldTeen
202 Posts
Tough question.
IMHO
Best Service- Jenson
Best Prices- Performance (ONLY with coupon and Team Performance)

I've also had very good service & pricing from Nashbar.
Too little experience with other web retailers to offer an opinion.

All that said- It still pays to shop multiple reliable retailers for the best deals on the specific gear you need.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Here's my spin on it:
Supergo is owned by performance, performance was recently bought by pacific cycles and everything pacific touches turns to lame.

Pricepoint does something wrong. I remember when I bought my stylos from them they came with no warranty because Pricepoint had violated some contractual parameter with Truvativ.

JensonUSA has been good in my experience. Good ship times, good customer service, nothing really to gripe about.

I haven't used universal or cambria so I can't really provide an opinion on those retailers.

I have however, recently found BikeParts.com and been pretty stoked. They have a huge selction and a knowledgeable staff. Only drawback is slightly spotty stock levels sometimes.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Nashbar hands down.

Where else can you get a $79 trainer(made by Minoura), a $29 HRM, or a $19 pair of clipless pedals. I have the $30 pair of Nashbar clipless pedals, and I think they are the same as the old Ritchey pedals.

Dollar for dollar, Nashbar simply cannot be beat IMO.

The downside is the gel cycling shorts they sell......bought a pair and they leaked gel, and so did the replacements!

Also thumbs down to their shipping fees, which are a tad on the high side.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Universal Cycles, in my experience, has best selection of those named, accepts paypal, and does coupon and pricematching. I think they're my new favourite online store. But, I've used all the stores mentioned, and they all kickass. I remember getting OEM Hayes Mags from Pricepoint for cheaper than you could get them used off ebay.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I actually think it's amazing how expensive Ebay can be these days. Bidders are so crazy for Fox Talas shocks, for example, that they're sometimes paying as much for scratched up used ones as they would for new ones on clearance someplace. XT rear derailleurs are a good example. I've seen them going for $39 online but I've seen them bid up to $49 and more on Ebay. And this is for sellers that are clearing out lots of them so it's not like there won't be any more.

·
TranceX Rider
948 Posts
I've been shoppin' here: Performance, Nashbar, JensonUSA, and Universal Cycles...and I've had good experiences with all of them. In that light, I find myself a mainstay @JensonUSA and Universal most often.

Keep 'em coming, guys!

·
Older than I feel
1,915 Posts
Good luck so far with Cambria (my favorite), Nashbar, Performance.

I was disappointed to learn (the hard way) that Nashbar now charges sales tax to California residents. I may as well stick with Cambria if I have to pay tax, because their standard shipping has been very swift. UPS ground is overnight from Cambria to the SF Bay area!

I haven't been burned yet on eBay, but I haven't found many screaming deals either.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.