Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know most of you will be out of town this weekend for the coolest mtbr's gathering in D'ville. I happen to be staying local this weekend. What could be better than riding Skeggs given this beautiful weather, my newly repaired bike that has been performing like a champ (thanks Daryl!) and having an additional excuse for drinking beer and eating fish tacos post-ride? I'm going to make my 2nd attempt to ride what is considered by one: "the best of Skeggs". Here is the route:

1-Sierra Morena -> Down Blue Blossom -> Up Cross Over -> Up Cross Cut -> Up Manzanita. This is the first bail out point.
2-From here, we will go Down Resolution (2nd bail out point since you could take ECdM out to Skeggs point)-> Down/Up ECdM -> Down North Leaf -> New Disneyland bypass -> Down South Leaf.
3-From the bottom of South Leaf there are a couple options and we will vote quickly then. Here are some of the options that I like:

a.Up Starr Hill Road -> new Disneyland bypass ->Down Methuselah -> Creek crossing -> Up Methuselah -> Skeggs Point (this is my favorite option since the run down Methuselah is always a blast) :thumbsup:
b.Virginia Mill -> Lawrence Creek trail -> Down Blue Blossom -> Up Steam Donkey -> Sierra Morena (It's an option because I have been wanting to ride up Steam Donkey at least once. Bring your climbing legs if you plan to vote for this one) :eek:
c.Up Starr Hill Road -> new Disneyland bypass -> Up North Leaf -> Up MCdM -> Up Resolution -> Skeggs Point (I somewhat did this route last weekend, and it was really fun riding up Resolution counter clockwise. I think we would almost max out all the well-known climbs at Skeggs by doing this- leaving out South Leaf and Steam Donkey; although, you're more than welcome to ride South Leaf counter clockwise. I'm not planning on it.) :nono:

As for the pace, I'm a B/B- rider so the pace will be social. Still, I don't think we will stop at every intersection and spend more time chatting than riding. (I have done this multiple times- it's super pleasurable and relaxing). There are multiple bail out options as you may see, so you could come and go as you wish. It will be a great ride!

Let's meet at Skeggs Point, 10am, Saturday June 21. I'm not expecting a big turn out, but come out and join me if you can make it. :)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
My daughter has her dance recitals this weekend, so I won't be joining Menso and rest of the mtbr crew up at Packer Saddle. Your 10am ride at Skeggs sounds pretty good to me. Let me check the weekend schedule at home first.
- J.L.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Out to Hawaii for a conference. Bummer.
Poff- Can you find a better place for a conference than Hawaii? :) I'm sure you will have a great time. With your busy schedule at Cal, may be we will be in Tibet the next time we get to ride together. J'k. :D

My daughter has her dance recitals this weekend, so I won't be joining Menso and rest of the mtbr crew up at Packer Saddle. Your 10am ride at Skeggs sounds pretty good to me. Let me check the weekend schedule at home first.- J.L.
Hi J.L.! It would be great to ride with you again this Saturday. I'm excited and nervous at once for having a strong A rider like you joining the ride. You know how my pace is from our last Coe's ride. We may split into two groups to match your riding level. Paging Redpine88!

Shoot, Lisa and I were planning on doing the Lake Sonoma XC race on Saturday and your ride on Sunday before you edited the date on your post. Have a good ride!
MrCrash- Oh bump! I keep missing out the chance to ride with you and Lisa. Sounds like you got her trapped with racing this year. Great job! :thumbsup: The next thing is to have her hang out with us on Passion's 2nd Female Fiesta this July. There were some really cool female racers at the party last time that I'm sure she raced against at the CCCX series.

don't really know anybody here but would probably like to join ya''ll this saturday
Long_Rider- Welcome to mtbr! Hope to see you Saturday! :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
ElHombre said:
'Skeggs until I drop' may be a good plan B if I won't make it to D-ville (still in the air)...
Hah...If a good 10k at Coe in the dark could not make you drop, I'm curious how far Skeggs can push you to that optimal point. :skep:
D'ville should be a blast; though, I won't stop you from stepping up to Skegg's challenge. ;)

ForbiddenBeat- Try to stay on mojito all night and you will make our ride.:cornut:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wddung said:
Argh! The one Saturday in June I am working you just had to schedule a BOSRTYD. I hope you choke on your post ride fish taco. :smilewinkgrin:
Oh no! I was hoping that you can make it if you will be in town this weekend. That's a bummer! :( I guess with 1/3 of Passion going to D'ville, the remainders will have to make it up. There will be another chance.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dirt_Diggler said:
have fun Christine and everyone. That sounds like a great ride. it should be gorgeous weather and the trails are in great shape too.
Thanks Ty! I'm sure we will. You were right about the trails condition. Skeggs is just irresistible this time of the year. I rode down Virginia Mill/ Lawrence Creek trail for the first time today after SL. Wow...the vegetation and surroundings were just pristine- wishing I could live close by Skeggs like you do. One lucky man.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
MrCrash said:
Shoot, Lisa and I were planning on doing the Lake Sonoma XC race on Saturday and your ride on Sunday before you edited the date on your post. Have a good ride!
I'm riding that Bike Monkey Race too. That's a fun race. Try not to run over me on the climbs. I'll be on the black Prophet mumbling to myself "Why did pay to do this?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.