Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to think outside the box for one of my most recent purchase and I couldn't be happier.
I've had plenty of "biking gloves" and have never been disappointed but none have ever made me want to purchase a second pair when they wear out until now. I grabbed a pair of Nike hyperbeast football lineman gloves just to give them a shot. What makes them so effective for football is exactly what makes them nice for riding. The padding has been great saved my fingers and knuckles several times from many collisions with the trees of the tight PNW singletrack. palms are extremely durable and also padded. Very breathable and comfortable. Love them so much I ordered two more today.
Here's a link if anyone wants to take a look:
Nike Hyperbeast Hydragrip Lineman Glove - Men's - Football - Sport Equipment - Black/Grey/White

·
Dab-O-Matic
1,051 Posts
I tried to think outside the box for one of my most recent purchase and I couldn't be happier
I like that idea! Wished I had these on last week when I tangled with a tree and lost!
The reviews talk about the palm pad coming loose and balling up...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had them for a few months now and haven't experienced that. Maybe the constant impacts a lineman puts on it when playing football does a bit more damage than biking. the palm pads are still intact for me

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
I just posted these in another thread.

That is not my pair but it looks like them.

Icon does not make the same gloves anymore but they make similar ones.
They are motorcycle gloves. I have had them for over 8 years and 40k+ miles of riding and they show little wear. They breathe well in the summer and offer good protection for the back of the hand and the front. I think I paid $20 for them when I bought them.

Other good choices I have seen people go for are Mechanics gloves.
Also durable, offer good grip and protection although I think most motorcycle gloves offer the best protection.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Good find! I use a great pair of work gloves and am similarly satisfied. I'm heading into my second cold weather season with them. They are nylon and leather, very form fitting and tough as hell. They also cinch at the wrist with a velcro strap. Don't recall what I paid for them or the brand (just looked, but the tag has long since become illegible), but it wasn't much -$20 maybe. They were for some work I was doing at our mountain property in some chilly weather and I needed something that would allow me to do some more fine motor manipulation. Now they are my go to winter riding gloves. I wear them down to the mid 20s with no problem. Beyond that I use ski gloves until I warm up and then put these puppies on.

In fact, they kind of remind me of lineman gloves.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I wear a pair of lightweight work gloves. Found them at Osh Hardware for $12 or so.

The back of the hand is very breathable, and there's a reflective strip on the back of the hand and at your fingernails. Palm has slight padding and is flexible. They're made by Bigtime Products. TrueGrip Max Safety Gloves.

This must be an old picture as the reflective material is missing on the fingertips.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Nice finds gentlemen. :thumbsup:

Over the years I've learned that motocross gear is about the best bet for affordable, awesome, good looking protection and comfort.

Most websites and moto stores always have some kind of steep discount(s) on last years colors of motocross gear, for far cheaper than cycling gear.

Another great crossover is Snowmobiling gear for the winter riding season. Sledding gloves and base layers are cheaper than cycling specific gear, and work even better at keeping you warm. Since you're going 50-60-70+ mph on a sled, in super cold temps the gear is made to withstand that. (just check out Klim and HMK for example).

Nothing wrong with getting the most bang for your buck these days.... I couldn't agree with that more.

:thumbsup:

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
How are they in the PNW weather? Do they keep your hands warm & dry?
Thanks!
If you are asking me

They are ok for biking in cooler weather.
On a motorcycle in cold weather, they offer nothing.
Big difference @ 60+ mph lol
However, they are fine for pretty much any weather we get here (Western NC).
If it is a super cold day, I do have another pair of motorcycle gloves.

As far as wet goes, they are not water resistant but they still grip no matter how wet they get.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I've worn these a couple of times and they aren't bad for MTB gloves.

They are lightly padded and have a terry cloth thumb for nose wiping. At $9.99 from Home Depot, I don't really care if they don't last forever.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just posted these in another thread.

That is not my pair but it looks like them.

Icon does not make the same gloves anymore but they make similar ones.
They are motorcycle gloves. I have had them for over 8 years and 40k+ miles of riding and they show little wear. They breathe well in the summer and offer good protection for the back of the hand and the front. I think I paid $20 for them when I bought them.

Other good choices I have seen people go for are Mechanics gloves.
Also durable, offer good grip and protection although I think most motorcycle gloves offer the best protection.
That's funny. I've been wearing Thor and Fox MX gloves forever. I bought a couple pairs of Shift Hybrids when STG was blowing them out, because they have even more protection.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Yeah, I love them and will probably continue to buy motorcycle/motorcross gloves when I wear these out. You seem to appreciate them the most when you have those knuckle brushes against the trees when getting in the tighter stuff. lol

·
Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
1,080 Posts
This will get some odd looks, but i have a pair of Ice Bay neoprene, fleece lined gloves that I've been thinking about trying out for winter riding. They were $25 at Bass Pro Shops. Waterproof, warm, comfortable and they're relatively tacky. I'll see if I can find a pic and let you know if I take them out of my work gear and onto the trails.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts