Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent Speedgoat an email about the Hope Mini. I was interested in the brake because Chris stated he likes this brake the best on the market; however, he states it is a hard brake to set up and maintain. The pads don't retract much and can cause some issues with squeeling and set up. Chris wrote me an email and stated it has the best modulation and firmest lever feel of any brake.

Please don't hate on him. He is a very good guy who must have spent 2 hours responding to a question I had on a paper I was doing in graduate school. He is a good guy. He just has an opinion.

Your thoughts?

Jaybo

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Jaybo said:
I sent Speedgoat an email about the Hope Mini. I was interested in the brake because Chris stated he likes this brake the best on the market; however, he states it is a hard brake to set up and maintain. The pads don't retract much and can cause some issues with squeeling and set up. Chris wrote me an email and stated it has the best modulation and firmest lever feel of any brake.
Your thoughts?

Jaybo
I don't have the Mini but have the mono M4s and a 6Ti. I really like the lever feel, specially with Dangerboy levers. I agree with Chris that it is difficult to set up, probably because, in my case, there are more pistons to worry about and the pads do sit pretty close to the rotors, more so on the 6Ti than the M4s. I also get a good amount of squeal after a long downhill run.

I heard the Magura Louise are very good brakes...good modulation and no squealing...

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Debateable...

Jaybo said:

Please don't hate on him. He is a very good guy who must have spent 2 hours responding to a question I had on a paper I was doing in graduate school. He is a good guy. He just has an opinion.

Your thoughts?

Jaybo
...but I love mine. Great power, feel, etc. I have not found them to be a big PITA. I've had mine a year, and have had real issues that were not my fault. I have yet to kill a set of pads, and I'm heavy (about 200# with gear) and ride steeps all the time.

I shortened my lines, and I think I overfilled them. When my front brake got really hot, the pad spacing would go away and the brakes would drag as the fluid expanded. I rebled them (not hard, but a bit messy) and the problem seems to have been solved.

Setting them up is no different than any other non-adaptor disc brake I have seen. Basically, you install them with washers behind the caliper bolts, and you adjust the caliper position by adding or removing washers. The problem is that you pretty much have to take the caliper bolts completely out, re-loctite the bolts, and put it all back together with your next guess on your washer stack. I'm making it sound harder than it is, and once it's done, you generally don't have to mess with it again.

The hardest thing I found with these brakes is the fluid. They came from the factory filled with DOT 5.1 fluid, whis is impossible to find locally. I had to resort to buying it on the internet from an import car tuner. DOT 5.1 is totally different than DOT 5.0 fluid. Do not use DOT 5.0 fluid. You can re-bleed the brakes with DOT 4 fluid if DOT 5.1 availability becomes an issue.

For bleeding, I suggest getting a little brake bleed bottle from Kragen or other auto parts store. Also some 50cc syringes help in sucking up fluid from the resivior, or put it back. It makes bleeding a lot easier and less messy.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Had my Mono Minis for a month or two... first set had a crack that resulted in the reservoir leaking. Probably happened during shipping.

Setup is the same as every other brake. Though I do think that Hopes in general are a bit more sensitive than other manuf if the calipers aren't well centered on the rotor.

Have DB levers, Goodridge lines, Koolstop pads... brakes feel great. Had the original Minis, tried Maguras, Hayes and Avid mech... I'm back with Minis. 180mm front/160mm rear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.