Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,528 Posts
So Maxxis tires are getting even better?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Definitely gonna try one when my XR4s wear out. Only reason I ditched XR3 for the rear was washing out in soft, loose corners. Liked it fine on damp roots and rocks, as well as smoother, harder trail surfaces, side knobs just didn't have the bite I wanted.
Perhaps the redesign having been in the works for awhile answers the "why no 2.6" XR3?" question.

·
Registered
8,003 Posts
It is interesting watching the weight of XC tires creep up and up. Wasn't that long ago that a tire over 600 grams in 29 was way too heavy for racing. Not saying that durable tires is a bad thing. But some XC tires are starting to push the 800 gram mark, and that is pretty close to Minion territory.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
It is interesting watching the weight of XC tires creep up and up. Wasn't that long ago that a tire over 600 grams in 29 was way too heavy for racing. Not saying that durable tires is a bad thing. But some XC tires are starting to push the 800 gram mark, and that is pretty close to Minion territory.
Also, I think sidewall technology/design is such that going up in weight may not result in an increase in rolling resistance. My timed climbs on my 27.5x2.6" Nobby Nics is faster, consistently, than on my 27.5x2.35 Nobby Nics. Terrain can be a factor too, of course, so a flat buff trail may be different. XC courses seem to be moving toward more aggressive terrain, so maybe this is in response.

·
Registered
17,724 Posts
I like the xr3's quite a bit, tough and great grip in most conditions. Not so great in loose over hard surfaces but I've never had a tire that worked well for that.

·
Registered
670 Posts
New XR3 definitely looks good, siping is improved from XR2 center tread they're copying too. 700g+ tires are the new normal I think, I went back to some sub 600g tires recently and they felt absolutely insane (but sadly unreliable).

·
Registered
56 Posts
New XR3 - 29x2.4

Just mounted up one of the new 29x2.4 XR3's. It's an interesting design - The side knobs aren't symmetrical, and alternate between rectangular and angled blocks. Inflated it to 40 PSI,and measures 58.5 mm after sitting for a day on an i29 (old version was last measured at 61 mm). Unfortunately, our trails are soaked, so I won't get to test it for a few days.

Automotive tire Technology Black Carbon Plastic

Finger Camera Digital camera Single-lens reflex camera Point-and-shoot camera

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thats pretty disappointing about the width. The more I look at these, I think I like the old xr3 pattern and knobs better. These will probably spin a bit faster, but not going to hook up as well as the old set.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I bought a new XR3 (29x2.4) and I'm comparing it to my 2.6 XR2. The center knobs look similar but there are more of them (closer together) on the XR3. They seem to be about the same depth, but if anything the XR3's looked shorter. Seems odd to me.

Notice that the new XR3 is heavier than the previous version, despite reports of it having a smaller casing. Very disappointing. Lots of knobs = heavier but lower rolling resistance?!?!

I also compared a 2.4 XR4 to my 2.6 XR4. The pattern looks similar but the knobs are noticeably larger on the 2.6. It's not just a larger casing. This explains why the 2.6 is so much heavier than the 2.4.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.