Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've asked a similar question previously this is a bit more specific...

What is among the best FS 29er for the money and reliability? in terms of reliability I mean, the least maintenance issues and the best company support when things go south ( like a cracked frame, etc..). I'm mainly interested in a full carbon frame.

Btw, I currently ride a V1 Ibis Ripley.

Thanks peeps! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd stay with Ibis - Ripley or Ripmo if you're currently on a Ripley.

LBS found a small frame crack where the shock mounted while in for a non related repair. LBS shipped bike to Ibis and I got a brand new front triangle, no questions asked.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,135 Posts
Some of the big manufacturers have great warranty support, but you quickly run out of options when they stop producing that brain shock and in general, I don't find their bikes are built to last season after season. Little things like how the bearings are accessible (or not) and how easily they can be changed, how stiff the rear triangle is the 2nd season, how no crazy special shock sizes or mounts (yoke mount) are used, etc. Those things add up to a reliable bike year after year for me. I had an issue with my pivot, they replaced the frame. The company supports and stands behind their stuff. I find that companies like Pivot, GG, Turner, Evil, Knolly, Ibos, generally do this. Sometimes, you have to be careful, because small manufacturer doesn't inherently mean better and the big companies do have a lot of R&D power, but they are often more interested in selling something than making something that will last year after year. Sometimes, it's the less exotic stuff that is more reliable in the long run. No right or wrong answers here.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Some of the big manufacturers have great warranty support, but you quickly run out of options when they stop producing that brain shock and in general, I don't find their bikes are built to last season after season. Little things like how the bearings are accessible (or not) and how easily they can be changed, how stiff the rear triangle is the 2nd season, how no crazy special shock sizes or mounts (yoke mount) are used, etc. Those things add up to a reliable bike year after year for me. I had an issue with my pivot, they replaced the frame. The company supports and stands behind their stuff. I find that companies like Pivot, GG, Turner, Evil, Knolly, Ibos, generally do this. Sometimes, you have to be careful, because small manufacturer doesn't inherently mean better and the big companies do have a lot of R&D power, but they are often more interested in selling something than making something that will last year after year. Sometimes, it's the less exotic stuff that is more reliable in the long run. No right or wrong answers here.
So basically, the OP has asked another loaded question! 🤔

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd stay with Ibis - Ripley or Ripmo if you're currently on a Ripley.

LBS found a small frame crack where the shock mounted while in for a non related repair. LBS shipped bike to Ibis and I got a brand new front triangle, no questions asked.
Ibis has amazing support! I recently had to replace my Swingarm because one of the bolt holes stripped. Since I'm not the original owner they were nice enough to give me one at a reduced price.

Also, whenever I email them with a question they respond promptly.

Most likely, I'm going to get the new Ripley. However, I'm curious about other brands. I also don't want to break the bank too badly.

·
Premium Member
10,725 Posts
I know I've asked a similar question previously this is a bit more specific...

What is among the best FS 29er for the money and reliability? in terms of reliability I mean, the least maintenance issues and the best company support when things go south ( like a cracked frame, etc..). I'm mainly interested in a full carbon frame.

Btw, I currently ride a V1 Ibis Ripley.

Thanks peeps! :thumbsup:
The most reliable bike is the one that never changes, doesn't fail, so low tech, burly build, steel.

If you want high tech, lighter weight, then you will probably need to change out bikes every few years.

In terms of support, if you don't use support then you don't need it; ie don't buy stuff that breaks.

^this is what reliability means. Support does not equal reliability.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Trek - by miles and miles

Find a Trek dealer and you’ll have support for life of bike.

They are abundant so are their parts they have solid resale value too.

But they’re the Camaro of bikes the ultimate me too bike - “‘you have a trek? Oh me too”

Depends what you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The most reliable bike is the one that never changes, doesn't fail, so low tech, burly build, steel.

If you want high tech, lighter weight, then you will probably need to change out bikes every few years.

In terms of support, if you don't use support then you don't need it; ie don't buy stuff that breaks.

^this is what reliability means. Support does not equal reliability.
True!

I'm the original owner of a 92' GT. Although I retired it from MTBing, I rarely have to do maintenance to it. My Ripley on the other hand, needs at least semi-annual maintenance.

It's like A Ferrari is high maintenance compared to an older "average Joe" car.

I'd like to find something in the middle, otherwise I'm getting the newest Ripley and be done with it!

How is the Shred Dogg? I'm curious about GG.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trek - by miles and miles

Find a Trek dealer and you'll have support for life of bike.

They are abundant so are their parts they have solid resale value too.

But they're the Camaro of bikes the ultimate me too bike - "'you have a trek? Oh me too"

Depends what you want

The reason I don't consider Trek is probably because I'm a snob!..LOL. And am stuck in the boutique brands. Perhaps I'm sucked into "Marketing Manipulation". I assume Trek
sucks compared to Ibis, Yeti, etc. I'm sure it's not the case. Maybe I'll give them a chance...LoL...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The reason I don't consider Trek is probably because I'm a snob!..LOL. And am stuck in the boutique brands. Perhaps I'm sucked into "Marketing Manipulation". I assume Trek
sucks compared to Ibis, Yeti, etc. I'm sure it's not the case. Maybe I'll give them a chance...LoL...
They don't suck but it's like buying a Honda Civic ... their bikes all have a familiar feel ... the Farley feels like a Stache ( I've owned both ) the Fuel Ex feels like a Slash etc etc ..,

You got an ass they have 3 bikes in every category for it ...

Good builds tho good specs for the most part too and their tech trickles down year to year ...

·
Premium Member
10,725 Posts
GG makes good bikes that are durable and don't cost that much, a good group of folks who work hard to manage sales and consumer issues, super responsive, but they are kinda backed up right now due to the overwhleming response to the carbon frame release.

I like that the GG is highly adaptable, like legos, change the rear triangle and shock and now it's a different bike. Also have a neat headset that can adjust by 10mm horizontally.

I'm on my second GG bike, had an auminum Smash that rode great, now riding a carbon Shred Dogg. I like both bikes, the Smash was the best downhill oriented bike I've ridden, the Shred is similar but a tad twitchier/agile.

All that said, GG is a newer company, they just switched all their manfacturing and designs, and stuff can break, so if I was looking at a FS bike for the ages, I'd get a time tested steel or TI frame from a reliable maker.

I might also look into a Pinion drive or a Rohloff, you'd have to use a tensioner or a no chanin growth suspension design with the Pinion, but this would be the absolute best for reliability. Someday I'll run a Pinion.

True!

I'm the original owner of a 92' GT. Although I retired it from MTBing, I rarely have to do maintenance to it. My Ripley on the other hand, needs at least semi-annual maintenance.

It's like A Ferrari is high maintenance compared to an older "average Joe" car.

I'd like to find something in the middle, otherwise I'm getting the newest Ripley and be done with it!

How is the Shred Dogg? I'm curious about GG.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I second Trek. They do some weird stuff not necessarily to my liking, but the bikes are solid and support is great, especially if you know a good LBS that has Trek.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
"Best FS 29er for the money" wants "reliability" and CARBON

To fit all 3 of your criteria above, I'd say the Intense Primer. I've had one over 2 years and I haven't had a single issue with mine and it's been surprisingly versatile, similar to a Ripley. I put beefy tires on it and ride trails were everybody else is on 6" bikes. Ever since Intense went direct to consumer, their prices are much lower than most other manufacturers. That Fezzarri Signal Peak is getting very good reviews an is a bargain compared to many other brands as well.

Even though the OP didn't ask, I'll add my .02 cents on support: I've been riding 30 years this July and I've owned most major brands a few "boutiques" as well. In *MY* experiences, Ibis (which I have NOT owned) has been the most helpful when I've had to call or send an email about their bikes, Yeti is the worst and acts as if you are bothering them, Intense has been great for me on minor stuff while Pivot was a PITA for a simple lost bolt.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Best FS 29er for the money" wants "reliability" and CARBON

To fit all 3 of your criteria above, I'd say the Intense Primer. I've had one over 2 years and I haven't had a single issue with mine and it's been surprisingly versatile, similar to a Ripley. I put beefy tires on it and ride trails were everybody else is on 6" bikes. Ever since Intense went direct to consumer, their prices are much lower than most other manufacturers. That Fezzarri Signal Peak is getting very good reviews an is a bargain compared to many other brands as well.

Even though the OP didn't ask, I'll add my .02 cents on support: I've been riding 30 years this July and I've owned most major brands a few "boutiques" as well. In *MY* experiences, Ibis (which I have NOT owned) has been the most helpful when I've had to call or send an email about their bikes, Yeti is the worst and acts as if you are bothering them, Intense has been great for me on minor stuff while Pivot was a PITA for a simple lost bolt.
It's tough to meet all those criteria - I know. These days there are so many brands out there and want to consider my options before putting my money down. I don't buy a bike very often. About every 5 years I get a different bike. I'm a weekend warrior that appreciates a good bike and I just get out there to try to stay in shape...LoL.

Interesting, what you said about Yeti - I've heard their support isn't that good despite their ridiculously high prices - I like their bikes by the way ( love the SB5).

Ibis has great support as you stated - whenever I email them with a question they respond by the next day. I went to their HQ, took a tour, and demo'd their Ripmo back in January - it's a small company. I might just get the new Ripley due to their great support and how well they stand behind their bikes. We'll see..

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
You absolutely can't go wrong with the new Ripley....I'll be taking the Yeti SB130 and Ripmo out next Friday on back to back demos. I'll be passing on my Tracer to my son and will need a new long travel bike. I definitely think the Yeti is a better looking bike but I'm hoping I like teh Ripmo more out on the trail. We'll see...

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Pivot has the best, by far, customer service when it comes to frame/bike issues I've ever encountered. Had a major, recurrent issue with my Pivot's Fox rear shock. Not only did Pivot handle the situation very well, Chris (Pivot's owner) communicated with me directly more than once to cater to my issues.

First thing I do when considering a brand is contact the company with a few questions. The questions aren't as important as how they are handled - quickly? competently? Pivot, Knolly, SC heck even Surly, have been great with this. Try doing that with Trek or Spec. Maybe if you had the number of the local rep, I don't know.

That said two bikes I own are Giant's. There is a semi-local dealer who is great to me and gives me a great price, and those frames had exactly what I wanted. Fingers crossed, so far so good.

When cost to benefit is weighed in I'd think an aluminum frame from Knolly would be a good choice. That said, I've never had a problem with my Knolly - so I can't say how'd they handle that. For the money, the best bike I've ever bought is my Knolly Endorphin. Knolly still sells amazing bikes, aluminum, at a great price.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.