Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I will be replacing my old Shimano pedals. I usually ride enduro tracks. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
248 Posts
The CrankBros Mallet E has been good for me. I like the amount of float, and the support of the platform.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I used the Crank Brothers Mallet DH on my enduro bike, love it! Reasons are the same as TXrocks from the post before mine.

Sent from my LIO-N29 using Tapatalk

·
Single Track Mind
768 Posts
Time Speciale. Float, support (platform with pins), adjustable release, all weather consistency. Honestly the best pedals I have ever used.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The CrankBros Mallet E has been good for me. I like the amount of float, and the support of the platform.
Same. I also use the "long spindle" version and "easy release" cleats, it's been a great setup for Enduro races. Easy to get a foot down when necessary; then still somewhat ok with a platform when I can't quite get clipped in in time.

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,844 Posts
Shimano Saint M820.

Shimano consistency. Shimano durability. Useable platform for when not actually clipped in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
Same. I also use the "long spindle" version and "easy release" cleats, it's been a great setup for Enduro races. Easy to get a foot down when necessary; then still somewhat ok with a platform when I can't quite get clipped in in time.
I keep wanting to try the long spindles. I still run the standard cleats. There are times I thought about putting the easy releases on, especially at the races that it's super loose or blown out. Do you think you can clip in easier with the easy releases?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mallet DH/E and the Saint are by top choices. I have used an SPD before but i'm leaning towards mallet just because of the float. How about the durability of Mallet?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mallet DH/E and the Saint are by top choices. I have used an SPD before but i'm leaning towards mallet just because of the float. How about the durability of Mallet?

Almost 2000 miles on mine. We have tons of rocks here, mine take a beating. They have been trouble free

·
Registered
472 Posts
Many pro riders using Mallet E or Mallet DH and im sure they're great, but im used to Shimano multi release cleats, so Funn Ripper, Saint PD-M820 or XT PD-M8120 (depends on the bike).

As for the Mallet, how much flow (in degrees) its having compared to Shimano SPD pedals?

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
I second the Time pedals. I use Time pedals on my bikes beside my road bike. Easy and consistent to clip in/ out and work great is weather, snow and mud.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I keep wanting to try the long spindles. I still run the standard cleats. There are times I thought about putting the easy releases on, especially at the races that it's super loose or blown out. Do you think you can clip in easier with the easy releases?
I think clipping IN feels the same with both cleats. Long spindles were a huge improvement for me also because I wear a size 12 shoe. With the standard spindles, I was sometimes hitting the crank before disengaging. Led to a few embarrassing topple overs... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Many pro riders using Mallet E or Mallet DH and im sure they're great, but im used to Shimano multi release cleats, so Funn Ripper, Saint PD-M820 or XT PD-M8120 (depends on the bike).

As for the Mallet, how much flow (in degrees) its having compared to Shimano SPD pedals?
Each Crank Brothers cleat set come with one piece of 0 degree and another piece of 6 degree float. Also, the release angle is 15 degrees.
The above info is for their standard release cleat set btw. I believe they have an easy release set which has like 10 degrees release angle.

Sent from my LIO-N29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think clipping IN feels the same with both cleats. Long spindles were a huge improvement for me also because I wear a size 12 shoe. With the standard spindles, I was sometimes hitting the crank before disengaging. Led to a few embarrassing topple overs... :rolleyes:
I am in 13's I have had a couple spills from crank being a certain spot that made it harder to get out, I may go ahead and order a set of spindles. I should put a set of bearings in just for the preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Time Speciale. Float, support (platform with pins), adjustable release, all weather consistency. Honestly the best pedals I have ever used.
I'm looking at getting these -- I ride Time ATACs on my gravel bike and the appeal for me is being able to use the same cleats for my MTB - what I want from a MTB pedal is a platform to be able to have some stability on technical trails when I'm unable to clip in right away (or chose not to for a bit). Do you find the platform to suffice?

·
Single Track Mind
768 Posts
I'm looking at getting these -- I ride Time ATACs on my gravel bike and the appeal for me is being able to use the same cleats for my MTB - what I want from a MTB pedal is a platform to be able to have some stability on technical trails when I'm unable to clip in right away (or chose not to for a bit). Do you find the platform to suffice?
I have the same thing going on; I use the XC 8's on my gravel bike and the Speciales on my MTB. In reference to the platform, I am not one to ride unclipped if at all possible. No matter how technical the trail, I prefer to be clipped; plus, the reliable release means I can clip out immediately. That said, the platform is pretty stable and the pedals even come with pins should that be your thing. I've never used them because I haven't encountered the need for more stability and grip; though, it's nice to know I have the options if I need it

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same thing going on; I use the XC 8's on my gravel bike and the Speciales on my MTB. In reference to the platform, I am not one to ride unclipped if at all possible. No matter how technical the trail, I prefer to be clipped; plus, the reliable release means I can clip out immediately. That said, the platform is pretty stable and the pedals even come with pins should that be your thing. I've never used them because I haven't encountered the need for more stability and grip; though, it's nice to know I have the options if I need it
thanks - possibly last question: What does the Speciale provide on your mtb that you wouldn't get from the XC 8? I try to stay clipped in as much as possible, but if I need to put a foot down to go over or around something and it's on a steep (up or down) and hard to get reclipped, hoping the added platform will be better than the small "knob" of the XC8

·
Single Track Mind
768 Posts
thanks - possibly last question: What does the Speciale provide on your mtb that you wouldn't get from the XC 8? I try to stay clipped in as much as possible, but if I need to put a foot down to go over or around something and it's on a steep (up or down) and hard to get reclipped, hoping the added platform will be better than the small "knob" of the XC8
Yeah, the platform works well and is much better than the nub in those situations. I actually have used the Time ATACs for a lot of years in a lot of pretty intense situations and they have generally been excellent; however, the plastic body doesn't hold up pedal strikes as well as the metal body of the Speciales. I had to warranty the XC-8's because they shattered on a pretty rowdy run. I replaced them with the Speciales and never looked back. The warranty replacement XC-8s sat on my shelf until I got the gravel bike. It turns out that the XC-8s have been the perfect gravel pedal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts