Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
I wanted to share this, and since I had done a search and found nothing about this particular product, I wanted to pass along my experience.

For those of you looking for a good inexpensive degreaser, I have found one...and it's fantastic. If you have a Dollar Tree near you, check out the "Totally Awesome Orange" cleaner/spot remover/degreaser. For a buck, I can't believe this stuff works as well as it does. I have cleaned my frame, chain, wheels etc. with this stuff and it's remarkable. It picks up and sheds dirt that simple green leaves behind. Great for the cassette and drivetrain. They even have packs of presoaked wipes I keep in the car for cleaning up after a ride. Simply the best degreaser I've ever used. I worked in a shop for many years and this blows away anything I've tried. I recently turned a local shop on to it and they were blown away with the results. Try it out! I'm anxious to hear if you do. Happy New year everyone!

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
I also recommend Purple Power which can be purchased at many auto parts stores or Wallyworld. If I remember correctly, it costs about $5 for a gallon jug. You can get a bigger jug and save a bit more, but I never have anywhere to store something bigger. I buy a lot of used bikes to clean up and resell and use a ton of this stuff. It is biodegradible for those that care.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
i dont think ive ever used a degreaser that didnt degrease stuff.. for nasty baked on THICK automotive grease, i just use whatevers cheapest, and it always works. a little bike funk can be removed with damn near anything. dollar store is a great place for stuff like that.

·
Registered
549 Posts
. . .just be sure "Totally Awesome..." and "Purple Power" isn't left on anodized-parts too long - black chain-rings ended up with a funky purplish tinge after leaving it on to soak.

In fact, 'cause it's a new year, get a new toothbrush - keep the old one and use that to clean chain-rings, cogs and other hard to reach places.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,366 Posts
I wouldn’t use degreaser on my bike, it’ll dissolve grease out of bearings where it’s needed. Just soap and water and enough pressure to just rinse the water off (garden sprayer is adequate). Degreaser is for when you take parts off the bike and isolate them or are repacking bearings.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I like degreaser and my sonic cleaner for a really dirty chain. Like once every few months to deep clean it. Then just oil it heavy and let it sit a while before wiping off the excess. Chain comes out looking better than new after a couple cycles.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The best degreaser I've ever used was about 10' long, 4' wide, 8' deep and used boiling perchloroethylene. It had a condenser coil at the top and a wand to spray freshly condensed perc. A few hours over that baby and you didn't need a beer after work!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.