Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is this one where we list the total price of our builds!! That's what I would like to see so when I look at something I would like to build, I have an idea of how much it would cost, and if it is something in my future budget..

We want to know how much for components, labor, shipping and tax. So we can see if you got good deals, if you got ripped off, Did you have to take out a Home Equity Loan? or do you just have 'Funds like that' for a Sweet Ass build!!

Also,

1. Where do you ride? (what area of the country)

---It would be nice to know if I ever move somewhere what type of bike is best for the terrain.

Now be smart with this (i'll say.) I am from Philly (and I don't trust anyone)--so I would not get on here saying I have a $10,000 bike (and probably an $80,000 car) telling the world I ride 'This trail' at 6pm everyday..

2. What do you use the bike for? XC, Trail, Racing, Weekend Warrior, Added Fitness?

Hey lets add one more thing to this thread. I wanna know bike weights
--That would also be nice too if you have an idea....--Let's see how effective those I-9 wheels lighten your '4130' Steel build....

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
You may find a lot of people are afraid to add it up and put it in print. Also, you can easily look at what parts are on a bike and add it up yourself,

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You may find a lot of people are afraid to add it up and put it in print
--If they are not afraid to risk 'Life and Limb' riding deep into the Unknown---then they should not be afraid to 'Man Up' and do that math!

Also, you can easily look at what parts are on a bike and add it up yourself,
--Not so, bike people sometimes 'have connections' or 'find deals' others do not. Like when the old XTR Cranks went 1/2 price, I missed out not knowing about that and bought some new XT's instead...

ALSO, I see very similar builds where one paid 4K and another paid 7K,,,,

So I say, If your 'Man Enough' to post the build online for all to see--Then don't be afraid to account for it...

--I have seen some builds where people 'parted out' from other frames--OR Even bought other frames like the 'Motobecanes' or 'Sette' builds for the parts, and then sold the frame....... I'd like to know about those types of builds to get better components less expensively.. Sincerely, 247

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
--If they are not afraid to risk 'Life and Limb' deep in the Unknown---then they should not be afraid to 'Man Up' and do that math!

--Not so, bike people sometimes 'have connections' or 'find deals' others do not. Like when the old XTR Cranks went 1/2 price, I missed out not knowing about that and bought some new XT's instead...

ALSO, I see very similar builds where one paid 4K and another paid 7K,,,,

So I say, If your 'Man Enough' to post the build online for all to see--Then don't be afraid to account for it...

--I have seen some builds where people 'parted out' from other frames--OR Even bought other frames like the 'Motobecanes' or 'Sette' builds for the parts, and then sold the frame....... I'd like to know about those types of builds to get better components less expensively.. Sincerely, 247
Fair enough, I'll play

Steve Potts Frame/Fork 3700
CC 110 HS 70 (closeout Comp Cyclist)
Fuji Stem 0 Already Had
Ritchey Carbon Bars 0 Already Had
Marta SL Brakes 200 New Take-Offs from Ebay
M972 Rear D 75 Closeout Comp Cyclist
M970 Cranks 300 Closeout comp cyclist
XTR Pedals 150 Performance
M960 F D 0 Already Had
XTR Shifters 160 Closeout Comp Cyclist
Ericksen Post 250 New
Flite Saddle 0 Already Had
XTR Cassette 160 Not sure where
XTR Chain 30 Cambria
Crest Rims 150 Cambria
Revo Spokes and Nips 100 Cambria
XTR R. Hub 150 Ebay
XTR F Hub 70 Colorado Cyclist
Tire and Stans 100 Cambria
2 Ti King Cages 0 Have had for 15 years

So roughly 5500 or so. And money well spent. So I figure that for 2K less than an S-Works Hardtail I have a custom Ti Frame built by a legend. Not cheep but would buy it again in a heartbeat.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Which incarnation of my build do you want?
The original or after I updated it or the accumulated total cost?

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Both are great. I built mine twice (bought everything the first time, and bought everything the second time.) My first build was my first bike! First build in 2008, second time in 2010 with all new components again
--The best switch was to a new 'Reba' which increased the trail and I even liked the Reba better than the 'Fox' being more adjustable to 'dial it in'....

Also, I got the bike first for fitness, then became a weekend warrior. Now I ride XC every chance I get-- and I would like to start doing some races soon...
I started at 265lbs before the build, and am now down to 225lbs So I have a Strong (but not very heavy wheelset) and tried to go 'as light as possible' everywhere else--including my bottle cages....
I ride in Central Pa, Md. and Delaware.
--I'm guessing it weighs 25-26lbs.

I have 3K invested in mine---including shop labor, delivery, tax, tune up- etc after builds and added parts from LBS)..--AND Yes I am switching to clipless for the summer!

Fisher Paragon frame (size 17.5) -$100 Ebay
Reba Dual Air Fork -$500 Local purchase (Taxes, rebuilt with 'race' damper)
Laser Disc Trail Wheelset (with Laser Disc Lite hubs)-$350 local purchase
Salsa Bar -$75 -online shop
Bontrager RXL stem and seatpost -$150 Ebay
WTB Rocket V saddle -$70 online shop
Chris king headset -$120 Got from Chris King (and new stem cap)--they were very helpful
XT crank (2x9 setup with bashguard)-$300 online shop (local mechanic)
Elixir R Brakes-$300 local purchase (incldes bleeding)
Ergon Grips-$40 Bought directly from Ergon after someone from there answered a post of mine on MTBR
Racing Ralph Tires- $120 delivered for both-'Outside Outfitters' online
X9 triggers and rear derailer(medium cage)-$160 delivered, online shops
XT front derailer-$50 local purchase and install
SRAM 980 cassette-$80 local bike shop purchase and install

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Is this one where we list the total price of our builds!! Make this like an episode of 'Cribs'.. We want to know how much for components, labor, shipping and tax. So we can see if you got good deals, if you got ripped off, Did you have to take out a Home Equity Loan? or do you just have 'Funds like that' for a Sweet Ass build!!

That's what I would like to see so when I look at something I would like to build, I have an idea of how much it would cost, and if it is something in my future budget..
So does this cost include the new car you had to buy the wife to get to do the build ?

1 of my friends new bikes cost him just under $500,000.00 when his wife kicked him out for buying it without telling her ;-( wasn't even a good bike IMO but loosing the 150Ib's has made him faster:D

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 of my friends new bikes cost him just under $500,000.00 when his wife kicked him out for buying it without telling her
Now That's the build I want to see--[with the value added cost....]

Let's post that bike-- and make this the Best 29er Picture Post Ever!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cool, I wanna play. I just built up a bike and most parts were bought for deals on ebay. Some new, some used. I have no idea what the final ticket price is, which is why I always buy in pieces and space it out over a few weeks. It is all about the project for me! I enjoy this as much as riding.

Hey lets add one more thing to this thread. I wanna know bike weights!!!! Light = speed!. This 29er I built is right at 17.5 pounds for riding, but I can get it just under 17 with some ultralight stuff that is not too comfortable on the trails.

I will try to post more details and pics later. I am excited to get out for a ride tomorrow and gotta get to sleep in order to beat the AZ heat

My first post!

Cheers,
Scott

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool, I wanna play. I just built up a bike and most parts were bought for deals on ebay. Some new, some used. I have no idea what the final ticket price is, which is why I always buy in pieces and space it out over a few weeks. It is all about the project for me! I enjoy this as much as riding.
--Post Pics and cost while you are building it... I did that 3 years ago when I first got the bike and even asked people which parts to use.. You might even get some suggesstions like 'buying an SLX crank instead' while saving $80... Bring it On!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Gary Fisher Superfly Medium 17.5" Carbon 29er Frame with Lefty Carbon Speed DLR SL Fork

Total Weight = 17.28 pounds / 7839g

Total Cost = $3964. This does not account for any shipping fees paid. That info is too hard to track.

Brakes Rear: KCNC Gold Disc=197g, Razor Rotor 87g. 284g. $250 used ebay.

Brakes Front: KCNC Gold Disc=211g, Razor Rotor 88g. 299g. N/A.

Cables / Housing: Nokon Silver/Black Front=32g, Rear=45g. 77g. $25 used Bike Swap.

Cassette: SRAM XX 11-32=178g KCNC Black LR=4g . 182g. $190. used ebay.

Chain: KMC X10SL Gold 208L. 234g. $44. new ebay.

Crankset: KCNC X2 42/29 complete w/BB . 667g. $300. new FairWheel.

- Ring Bolts: KCNC Gold- switching to red. NA. $12. new FairWheel.

Derailleur Front: SRAM XX 2x10 Hi mount Top Pull. 119g. $75. new ebay.

Derailleur Rear: SRAM XX 2x10 Med Cage KCNC Pulleys=18g. 175g. $220. new ebay.

Fork: Lefty Carbon DLR SL 29er 80mm, mod boot. 1194g. $650. used ebay.

Frame: 09 GF Superfly 17.5''=1218g+CC cups=10g. 1228g. $498. used ebay .

Grips: KCNC foam w/caps. 19g. $10. new FairWheel.

Handle Bar: Easton Monkey Lite SL 25.4 Black. 126g. $30. used Bike Swap.

Headset: CaneCreek ZeroStack. 48g. $50. new FairWheel.

Headset Cap/Bolt: Carbon w/Gold bolt. 16g. $25. new FairWheel.

Headset Spacers: Carbon 20mm=8g, Project123 steer tube=144. 152g. $92. new Project 321.

Pedals: Crank Brother Egg Beaters 3Ti Gold. 184g. $120. used ebay.

Quick Releases: Rear Skewer Only. 23g. $16. new ebay.

Seat: Fizik Aliante Carbon. 210g. $150. used ebay.

Seat Binder: KCNC Gold/changing to Red. 10g. $18. FairWheel.

Seat Post: AX Lightness Europa 27.2, L1. 93g. $255. used ebay.

Shifters: SRAM XX Carbon 2x10. 190g. $184. used ebay.

Stem: KCNC Bear Bones 25.4 x 90, 5deg Ti bolts. 96g. $55. new ebay.

Tire Front: Schwalbe Furious Fred 29er. 386g. $75. new ebay.
Tire Rear: Schwalbe Furious Fred 29er. 362g. $75. new ebay.

Tubes: R valves =17g, R sealant=26g F sealant=26g. 69g. $20. new FairWheel.

Wheel set (Front): American Classic, Soul Lefty 29er w/tape = 674g.N/A. N/A. used ebay.

Wheel set (Rear): American Classic 29er w/tape = 849g. N/A. N/A. used ebay.

Wheel Set (Entire): Soul Lefty cap and bolt=10. 1523g. $275. used ebay.

- Hub Front: Soul Kozak hub with wheel build. N/A. $175. new FairWheel

Misc Option: KCNC Ultralight Steel Rotors. N/A. $30. new FairWheel.

Misc Option: Project 321 Lefty Adio Lever. N/A. $45. new Project 321.

Cant post pics cuz Im a newbie.

·
Registered
128 Posts
FairWheel Bikes is the best damn bike shop on the planet. I also get a 15% discount, so that saves me lots of dough on pricey weight-weenie parts. Most of the time I can get it less from them than on ebay, after the discount. And, no shipping fees or tax, because I buy from the Internet sales dept.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Okay, now I can post pics:

Gary Fisher Superfly Medium 17.5" Carbon 29er Frame with Lefty Carbon Speed DLR SL Fork
Total Weight = 17.28 pounds / 7839g
Total Cost = $3964. This does not account for any shipping fees paid. That info is too hard to track.

Brakes Rear: KCNC Gold Disc=197g, Razor Rotor 87g. 284g. $250 used ebay.

Brakes Front: KCNC Gold Disc=211g, Razor Rotor 88g. 299g. N/A.

Cables / Housing: Nokon Silver/Black Front=32g, Rear=45g. 77g. $25 used Bike Swap.

Cassette: SRAM XX 11-32=178g KCNC Black LR=4g . 182g. $190. used ebay.

Chain: KMC X10SL Gold 208L. 234g. $44. new ebay.

Crankset: KCNC X2 42/29 complete w/BB . 667g. $300. new FairWheel.

- Ring Bolts: KCNC Gold- switching to red. NA. $12. new FairWheel.

Derailleur Front: SRAM XX 2x10 Hi mount Top Pull. 119g. $75. new ebay.

Derailleur Rear: SRAM XX 2x10 Med Cage KCNC Pulleys=18g. 175g. $220. new ebay.

Fork: Lefty Carbon DLR SL 29er 80mm, mod boot. 1194g. $650. used ebay.

Frame: 09 GF Superfly 17.5''=1218g+CC cups=10g. 1228g. $498. used ebay .

Grips: KCNC foam w/caps. 19g. $10. new FairWheel.

Handle Bar: Easton Monkey Lite SL 25.4 Black. 126g. $30. used Bike Swap.

Headset: CaneCreek ZeroStack. 48g. $50. new FairWheel.

Headset Cap/Bolt: Carbon w/Gold bolt. 16g. $25. new FairWheel.

Headset Spacers: Carbon 20mm=8g, Project123 steer tube=144. 152g. $92. new Project 321.

Pedals: Crank Brother Egg Beaters 3Ti Gold. 184g. $120. used ebay.

Quick Releases: Rear Skewer Only. 23g. $16. new ebay.

Seat: Fizik Aliante Carbon. 210g. $150. used ebay.

Seat Binder: KCNC Gold/changing to Red. 10g. $18. FairWheel.

Seat Post: AX Lightness Europa 27.2, L1. 93g. $255. used ebay.

Shifters: SRAM XX Carbon 2x10. 190g. $184. used ebay.

Stem: KCNC Bear Bones 25.4 x 90, 5deg Ti bolts. 96g. $55. new ebay.

Tire Front: Schwalbe Furious Fred 29er. 386g. $75. new ebay.
Tire Rear: Schwalbe Furious Fred 29er. 362g. $75. new ebay.

Tubes: R valves =17g, R sealant=26g F sealant=26g. 69g. $20. new FairWheel.

Wheel set (Front): American Classic, Soul Lefty 29er w/tape = 674g.N/A. N/A. used ebay.

Wheel set (Rear): American Classic 29er w/tape = 849g. N/A. N/A. used ebay.

Wheel Set (Entire): Soul Lefty cap and bolt=10. 1523g. $275. used ebay.

- Hub Front: Soul Kozak hub with wheel build. N/A. $175. new FairWheel

Misc Option: KCNC Ultralight Steel Rotors. N/A. $30. new FairWheel.

Misc Option: Project 321 Lefty Adio Lever. N/A. $45. new Project 321.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The Gold does not really go with this ride. It was leftover pieces from the previous ride. I' still undecided, between staying black and solver, or adding the red accents.

I think the red looks good. The last frame I had was black an silver so everything was tight.

This frame has that damn baby blue with red/white name decals so that throws off the color scheme.

If I end up swapping out the KCNC brakes for a set of Ashima PCBs, then I will defineately go red (I think) since this brake kit comes with red accents.

What are your thoughts on the color preference?

Do I win best value bike? Or at least the fastest/lightest? :)

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Sweeetttt.. I am a 'Fisher' fan and love the Wheels and Lefty on that!!--that's the first one I've seen like that... It's good to know cost and where you got things......

Do I win best value bike? Or at least the fastest/lightest
That's Insanely light.. You might wanna 'tie it down' at night so it don't blow away!!

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
If you don't lift those brake levers so they cant hit the frame if you come of it will be an even cheaper bike.

The Gold does not really go with this ride. It was leftover pieces from the previous ride. I' still undecided, between staying black and solver, or adding the red accents.

I think the red looks good. The last frame I had was black an silver so everything was tight.

This frame has that damn baby blue with red/white name decals so that throws off the color scheme.

If I end up swapping out the KCNC brakes for a set of Ashima PCBs, then I will defineately go red (I think) since this brake kit comes with red accents.

What are your thoughts on the color preference?

Do I win best value bike? Or at least the fastest/lightest? :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
The levers do not hit the frame. It just looks that way from camera angle.

I did have to check though, so thanks for pointing it out:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts