Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched and loved all the info - albeit some older threads - looking for a $1500 new, leftover, used 29er....BUT I'm 6ft8in and 275lbs - 37in inseam.
So, looking at an xxl frame 22-23"
I'm not hard on a bike, just big..
Here's what I had

Raleigh Talus XL- decent
Trek Cobia 23" - nice, too damn red!
Marin Alpine Trail 22" - current actually pretty good bike - but giving it to
my 6ft4 son..

I've got a deal on a lighty used 23" 2012 Specialized Carve Comp for $900 I can buy.

But looking up to $1500 that will fit me, Rocky Mountain, Trek again, maybe another Marin, Specialized? New, leftovers, etc..

Any taller riders have any good suggestion your input would be appreciated!

·
There's always next year.
872 Posts
Based on the info you've given, I'd take the deal on the Carve IF it fits you, and then put rest of your budget (around 600, right?) into a "big guy approved" wheel set. Even if you're not hard on equipment, I'm 5 inches shorter, and 70 pounds lighter and I can tell a huge difference in quality wheels over what you'd find stock on bikes in that price range. Doing that might lead you to a bike that better suited to you as opposed to something brand new.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Searched and loved all the info - albeit some older threads - looking for a $1500 new, leftover, used 29er....BUT I'm 6ft8in and 275lbs - 37in inseam.
So, looking at an xxl frame 22-23"
I'm not hard on a bike, just big..
Here's what I had

Raleigh Talus XL- decent
Trek Cobia 23" - nice, too damn red!
Marin Alpine Trail 22" - current actually pretty good bike - but giving it to
my 6ft4 son..

I've got a deal on a lighty used 23" 2012 Specialized Carve Comp for $900 I can buy.

But looking up to $1500 that will fit me, Rocky Mountain, Trek again, maybe another Marin, Specialized? New, leftovers, etc..

Any taller riders have any good suggestion your input would be appreciated!
I have this Trek HifI Plus (2011) that is a 23" Frame. I am 6'4" and 200lbs. It's a bit big for me. Rides really well with X7 Drivetrain and upgraded to XT brakes. I just bought a new bike so I am considering selling this one. The current version of this bike is the Superfly FS (Aluminum).

Bike Dec 2013.jpg

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
I haven't looked at them lately, but Trek has been known to offer frames in a wider range of sizes. At your size you may want to stick a bigger company offering a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All great advise - isn't the lifetime warranty from say Trek, only good to the original owner?

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Take a look at the niner closeouts that are out there. For a little more than 1500 you could build up a RIP 9. Very stiff and strong frame that makes a great trail bike. A closeout frame still carries a warranty from date of purchase. For reference I'm 6'5 and ride my saddle at 34.5 from center of bb to top of saddle and there is still room for adjustment with a 400mm post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts