Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I typically do a winter check of my bike. You know, check the rings, cassette, chain, hubs etc. This week I decided to work on the Hayes' brakes. I bought a Hayes' rotor because my old one was getting worn. It was $24. Then, I decided to change pads. During the pad change, I mucked up a piston. So, I ran to Univeral Cycles and bought a piston kit for $9. Today, the brake will be rebuilt and rebleed for $9. Gotta love it. Most brakes would have required I box them up and send them to the manufactor because they are one piece calipers.

In the last couple months I have rode Avid Juicys, Shimano XTR/XT, and Magura FR. All brakes that modulate better than my Hayes. No doubt. I was particularly impressed with the Juicy's. My issues has been the noise, lack of power, and pad eating ways of so many brake systems. The Juicy's felt good in my hands but made a ton of noise. The Shimano have the best modulation but don't have the stop now power I like. The Magura's were quiet and modulate well but just don't excite me despite excellent customer service.

I just can't find a reason to upgrade. My Hayes are so easy to work on, pads survive for a long time, and parts availability can be found at almost every LBS. The two downsides are modulation and weight. Both don't bug me.

If I could quiet the Juicy, I would definately give them a shot. Until then, I'm a Hayes' guy to the end. So easy and cheap. Sounds like me :)

Jaybo

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Jaybo said:
I typically do a winter check of my bike. You know, check the rings, cassette, chain, hubs etc. This week I decided to work on the Hayes' brakes. I bought a Hayes' rotor because my old one was getting worn. It was $24. Then, I decided to change pads. During the pad change, I mucked up a piston. So, I ran to Univeral Cycles and bought a piston kit for $9. Today, the brake will be rebuilt and rebleed for $9. Gotta love it. Most brakes would have required I box them up and send them to the manufactor because they are one piece calipers.

In the last couple months I have rode Avid Juicys, Shimano XTR/XT, and Magura FR. All brakes that modulate better than my Hayes. No doubt. I was particularly impressed with the Juicy's. My issues has been the noise, lack of power, and pad eating ways of so many brake systems. The Juicy's felt good in my hands but made a ton of noise. The Shimano have the best modulation but don't have the stop now power I like. The Magura's were quiet and modulate well but just don't excite me despite excellent customer service.

I just can't find a reason to upgrade. My Hayes are so easy to work on, pads survive for a long time, and parts availability can be found at almost every LBS. The two downsides are modulation and weight. Both don't bug me.

If I could quiet the Juicy, I would definately give them a shot. Until then, I'm a Hayes' guy to the end. So easy and cheap. Sounds like me :)

Jaybo
Avid Juicy's require some break-in time before they shut up. Also, the rotors and pad compound can contribute to the noise.

My Hayes Mags just died. I think I'm done with Hayes.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Completely rebuildable

XSL_WiLL said:
Avid Juicy's require some break-in time before they shut up. Also, the rotors and pad compound can contribute to the noise.

My Hayes Mags just died. I think I'm done with Hayes.
You can completely take the Hayes apart and rebuild them. Simple and cheap. You cannot say the same about the Avids. Nonetheless, I hope you are right about the Juicy because they do work well. They do look a bit cheap though. However, my RS Revelation doesn't have the Made in America look of my old Fox Vanilla but it does work well. The Juicy is an interesting brake. I just can't stand noisy brake systems. They are cheap at $129.95 a wheel.

Jaybo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.