Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on going up to the Beast this Sat for a group ride. Never been there before. Been riding the Spillway every chance I get. I got the directions to get up there and the wife is letting me go out of the area on my own on Sat! :thumbsup: Just wondering about the trail. I know it is technical with some good climbs and decents. I have a Ti SS and a full supension bike which I plan on bringing them both. Has any one ever rode it with a SS? I just converted it and started riding mine not too long ago and love it and the simplicity of it. Either way I am bringing both for the group ride. Hopefully I make it there and look foward to a good time!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
There are plenty of rooty steep climbs. Leave the SS at home. This trail makes me want to puke every time I try it.
 

·
likes to ride bikes
Joined
·
893 Posts
It's not super-hard and, well, downright intimidating like it was last year, just regular hard, thanks to some ingenious reroutes with BRAMBA's help before the Summer (OK, the Escalator is still a little scary but there's plans to make it safer). You're going to walk some things on a SS, no getting around that, but ride what you've got.

Those super-hard points will eventually be re-incorporated as black diamond options, BTW. The work on the Beast is ongoing. Everything should be clear enough to be ridable, but I'm busy in the woods on weekends finishing the loop and expanding the trail from 5/6 miles to 8/9 miles.

Trail building is very hard, few people truly contribute the effort needed, and sometimes the temptation is to admire all the hard work we've done so far, a little short of perfection. I can't let that happen, not with the unique terrain we've got up here. I think people are starting to get the idea that The Beast will eventually be the best trail in Louisiana.

Bring plenty of water, have fun, and stay tuned for more fun to come in the new year.





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll ride the first time with the Full Sus and then after that will determine if I ride the SS. Im looking forward to a good time and meeting some new people. Packing the truck tonight so I can leave early in the morning and get there for the group ride. I live near New Orleans so its a little drive for me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, rode the Beast rail on Sat and I had fun. Did the Group ride first so I could see how the trail was. Alot different than riding the spillway that for sure! Lots of climbs and decents which I like. rode the Full Sus first lap and that is what just about everyone else was riding. Rode the SS the second lap! I found out that I was overgeared and found out very early in the trail. But I kept going and finished it. I actually felt more comfidant on the SS than the Full Sus. Not sure way! IT was definantly easier to walk up some of the hills with the SS, that's for sure! I liked the Decents and the escalator, I made up and then down with no problem on the SS. Anyways, palnning on trying it again real soon cause I liked it. I'll just make sure I have the right cog on the SS this time! Until next time, see ya'll out there!!!:thumbsup:
 

·
likes to ride bikes
Joined
·
893 Posts
Wow, great for you cleaning those hills on the SS. My teammate raced me on his singlespeed, but he's a runner and can probably jog them nearly as fast as ride up them.

PM me the next weekend you'll be out there and we'll meet up. I made the time to trim the entire powerline section yesterday so that the briars won't bother us for the rest of the summer.

mini73 said:
Well, rode the Beast rail on Sat and I had fun. Did the Group ride first so I could see how the trail was. Alot different than riding the spillway that for sure! Lots of climbs and decents which I like. rode the Full Sus first lap and that is what just about everyone else was riding. Rode the SS the second lap! I found out that I was overgeared and found out very early in the trail. But I kept going and finished it. I actually felt more comfidant on the SS than the Full Sus. Not sure way! IT was definantly easier to walk up some of the hills with the SS, that's for sure! I liked the Decents and the escalator, I made up and then down with no problem on the SS. Anyways, palnning on trying it again real soon cause I liked it. I'll just make sure I have the right cog on the SS this time! Until next time, see ya'll out there!!!:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
mini73 said:
Rode the SS the second lap! I found out that I was overgeared and found out very early in the trail. But I kept going and finished it.
What ratio did you run? The key advantage to SS is comfort to simplicity, sounds as though you figured it out at The Beast. Granted there are times where it seems more practical to run geared over SS, it's still doable on just about every trail system in the south (granted you pin the ratio as you noted).

There's another rider on here named Crosstown Stew who rides his SS daily at Oak Mtn. If you have ridden there and 3 mile climb, you'll apprecaite his will.

I ride the Spillway regular with a pack of SSers, what kind ti bike you running? Maybe we've crossed paths.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dixie whiskey said:
What ratio did you run? The key advantage to SS is comfort to simplicity, sounds as though you figured it out at The Beast. Granted there are times where it seems more practical to run geared over SS, it's still doable on just about every trail system in the south (granted you pin the ratio as you noted).

There's another rider on here named Crosstown Stew who rides his SS daily at Oak Mtn. If you have ridden there and 3 mile climb, you'll apprecaite his will.

I ride the Spillway regular with a pack of SSers, what kind ti bike you running? Maybe we've crossed paths.
Yeah I noticed that about the ratio that I have been running to ride back and forth to work. I used a 32x16 for the beast and it was pretty hard. Going to try a bigger cog in the back next time. Maybe something like a 18. I ride the spillway with the 32x16 ratio and I have no problem but then again, the beast is alot more climbing! I love the simplicty of a SS and that is one reason I converted my bike for now to it. No worrying about changing gears or what gear I'm in. I have a Sampson Ti frame and a Specialize Epic. I ride the spillway quite regularly but mostly by myself due to not knowing anyone there. I might of talked to you but I'm not good at names!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TunicaTrails said:
Sniff...sniff...I smell Stu! ;)

My teammate cleaned everything as it is now on a 29er with 32x16, but I don't recommend that for normal humans.
Yeah did not think about changing it before going. I just bought a 15 and 14 cog to make it alittle tougher for me for the ride to and from work. I'll try a bigger one next time I go to the beast trail. I'm thinking maybe 32x18?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
mini73 said:
Yeah I noticed that about the ratio that I have been running to ride back and forth to work. I used a 32x16 for the beast and it was pretty hard. Going to try a bigger cog in the back next time. Maybe something like a 18. I ride the spillway with the 32x16 ratio and I have no problem but then again, the beast is alot more climbing! I love the simplicty of a SS and that is one reason I converted my bike for now to it. No worrying about changing gears or what gear I'm in. I have a Sampson Ti frame and a Specialize Epic. I ride the spillway quite regularly but mostly by myself due to not knowing anyone there. I might of talked to you but I'm not good at names!
I run a 38x16 at the Spillway and have run the same at Biloxi & Mt. Zion. I don't like to spin, so I prefer to gruel it out on the climbs (what little we have at these said trails). 32x16 is the norm 2:1 ratio which most find best for all conditions. I don't know if I would go lower than that. Personally, if I rode The Beast or anything more aggressive I may come down to 36x16 (I run a FW, so I have to go up in the front) but not much more. Worse comes to worst you can always hike up the climbs as you did on your first attempt.

I don't recall seeing you (or that bike) so we probably haven't crossed paths yet. You'd remember me if you met me. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
vudu said:
@whiskey, i believe that mini73 is the navy guy "joe" that we spoke to a few weeks back... if i'm right, mini, we are planning to ride tomorrow evening about 6-6:30 at the spillway.. ur welcome to come
Yeah that's me. I remember you when we were talking. I can show up tomorrow evening. I have my light so I will bring that too.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top