Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 645 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the old thread about batteries goes back into 2013 it is time to start new one (thanks Cat). I'm going to structure it a bit differently and try to keep all important things in the first two posts.

This thread should be used as a guide how/where to get good battery packs and all their technical characteristics. Please avoid endless discussions about nonrelated stuff and try to keep this thread clean and on topic.

If anyone wants me to update or add something important to all readers, specialy the begginers, write it down and/or send me a PM, will try to act promptly.

In the post #2 I'm going to list links and reviews about batteries. Don't expect to be all there right away. If you miss one, tell me.

Also important thing, we are members from all over the world, not just the USA. So when giving advices or some comments think of members not living in the USA. So some things can be good for someone but not for all. On the other hand someone asking for advice should tell where (aprox.) is comming from so the answers might be more directed not just some general or not relevant. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Reserved

Reserved for links, etc...
* Disclaimer: Ordering from any of the sources below is at your own risk. There might be some mistakes and outdated links.

Old 2013 thread:
http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/battery-thread-2013-a-834295.html

China sources:

US sources:

Reviews:

Educational stuff:

Edit 4th, Mar.2018: Added ROCKBROS 4-Cell review to the list above

More to be added..... tell me what to add.

PS. If you find my work of some value there is star below to be used ;)

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
Good show ledoman! I like how you structured this. Going forward this should be the place people go for battery information. I know you wanted to keep most information in the first two posts but as you go along this might become a problem. When I started the first Battery thread that was kind of my intent as well but unfortunately I found out after about two weeks or so that I was not able to edit the OP. Seems MTBR puts a time limit on how long you can edit a post. In order to edit after two weeks you have to become a moderator or get a moderator to do the editing. ( unless they have changed things since then )...just a heads up.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Cat! Will see what happens. Mostly I'm going to edit post #2 not the OP so this might work out. If getting into truouble I will contact admin otherwise I can always start new thread and use copy/paste. And maybe I just need more reputation points ;)

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm still unable to add more +rep's to you, but sure others will do that. :)

BTW, is it really necessary to list 11 links to the Battery University? IMHO, single one is quite enough...

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it is not necessary but there is a lot of reading and people tends to get scared with all that stuff so I've choosen topics they should read. It is easier for them seeing relevant topics. And not all know what to look for.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Ok, transporting my question from the old thread to this one:

"Anyone tried using Sub C batteries with bike lights? if so, how big of mAh they can go?" Is something like this could work?
Panasonic Battery Sub C 1 2V 3000mAh Soldering Lug Z Shape Aku Battery | eBay
I'm considering stacking them up inside the Steerer tube of my bike, but I would need to figure it out how the create the connections. "

Reply from ledoman:

OK. Let stay for a moment here, regardless there is new battery thread. I should post it here.

Yes I think it is possible to use those cells stacked, but there are few things to tell/ask.

1. If the chemistry (don't want Li-Ion) is of main concern then good Ni-Mh can be used
2. Energy wise Li-Ion are much better. For example same 3000mAh Li-Ion cell has 3.7V nominal and weigts 45gr while this Ni-Mh has 1.2V and weights 58gr. So the ratio is higher than 3/1.
3. You would need to stack from 3 to 6 Ni-Mh cells (depends on light and driver) which would be long from 135 to 270mm while Li-ion would be from 70-140mm.
4. To stack them I would use capton tape to isolate wiring and nickel or copper stripes and solder to the tabs.

Hope it helps.

My answer:

Energy wise Li-Ion are much better. For example same 3000mAh Li-Ion cell has 3.7V nominal and weigts 45gr while this Ni-Mh has 1.2V and weights 58gr. So the ratio is higher than 3/1.
Very good point

3. You would need to stack from 3 to 6 Ni-Mh cells (depends on light and driver) which would be long from 135 to 270mm while Li-ion would be from 70-140mm.
go it!
Ok let me forget about Sub C then. Going back to the best of best 18650 3400 MAh Panasonic's, I can fit 3 of them inside the Steerer tube, not the ideal 4x.
3x of 3400MAh would be enough to power a 8x LED Head unit?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should tell us much more about your light or send a link. In general there you need 1 battery cell per led to get somewhat decent runtime. Of course it really much depends on the power you need/want.

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,542 Posts
So I purchased these...suppose to be 3400 mAh...but this is what the display shows me a full charge. Something is wrong right?

The display on that charger is showing how much was put into the battery to bring them up to full charge, so assuming those were brand new batteries which usually come with a 50% charge, that looks about right.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You should use TEST feature on this charger to get capacity readings. BTW, BT-C3100 would show you a bit more than it is real. I would say about 5-10%, depends on resistors used in particular sample.

·
Registered
965 Posts
You should use TEST feature on this charger to get capacity readings. BTW, BT-C3100 would show you a bit more than it is real. I would say about 5-10%, depends on resistors used in particular sample.

This is the test reading from the original batteries coming with my light (not Panasonic). By weighting the batteries some where around 30g and I mistrust the real capacity on them (suppose to be 3400 mAh).

·
Registered
802 Posts
OK, to put it in the right way. My protected Panasonic cell weights about 49-53g, I guess the protection can't do the 23g. You can post the link where you get yours from. Might be helpful for others. And I post another useful link for cells and chargers reviews. Yes, it was posted many times here on forum:

Battery test-review 18650 summary

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am seriously considering the new battery packs that Ledoman and Kaidomain have been working on. I was wondering what are people's preference for a SAFE charger for them? Thanks!

BTW, the battery packs are for my two Designshine lights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply ledoman! I know that I can order chargers from the Chinese firms such as Hunk Lee (sp?) but am not sure about the quality. An alternative would be from Gemini Lights but the shipping from Victoria, BC to Singapore where I now reside would be crazy in relation to the value of the charger. I might as well order their batteries at the same time too! hehehe

1 - 20 of 645 Posts