Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
34,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I've been riding all weekend. It is the answer to the question that nobody asked.

It is divine!

fc

Attachments

·
dreamer
56 Posts
Did you get it from Ventana direct? I noticed it has a rockshock rear shock. I have a El Rey that I got from them, just wondering if Sherwood is working with rockshock? AND.. how is it compared with the El Rey? You are the perfect guy to ask, since you have done rides on both.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1red1 said:
Did you get it from Ventana direct? I noticed it has a rockshock rear shock. I have a El Rey that I got from them, just wondering if Sherwood is working with rockshock? AND.. how is it compared with the El Rey? You are the perfect guy to ask, since you have done rides on both.
Yes, this is Sherwood's demo bike. The Fox shock that came with the bike was making an awful clunking noise so it is out of repair. This rear shock was in the garage and it seems to match up with the Reba TA very well. The Fox shock is out for repair.

I am 5'8" so this fits me very well. It's lower to the ground and a little quicker and easier to throw around.

How's this: It accelerates faster and is more flickable ;):D.

I'm not really sure yet. I have to ride it more.

fc

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Well Francis - SOMEBODY asked the question - YOU! (I'd have to say it sounds like you're talking to yourself!) Looks pretty cool - had to look closely to see the different sized-wheels... Actually looks pretty balanced!

·
Mtbr Founder
34,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Duzitall said:
Very nice. Size small? Know the weight as pictured?

I wanna ridei it too :D
The weight is 27.7 lbs with Look Quartz pedals.

That is a 16-inch bike.

BB height is 13.6 lbs
Chainstay is 17.5 inches
Wheelsbase is 43 inches

Rear travel is 5 inches I believe.

fc

·
Mtbr Founder
34,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MMcG said:
Did ya ride it with dual 650bs as well? if so, did you prefer one set up over the other?
Yes, I rode it like this a few times. The 650 wheel in the front is more agile and easier to get used to when alternating from a 26er bike. But the 29er wheel in front tracks better and laughs at little obstacles.

I think the bike got a tad slacker too and it was a gas to pin it and jump it.

But really, there is a big difference between the White Brothers 650b fork and the Reba 120 TA fork. The White Brothers is pretty stiff laterally and is good in the meat of it's travel. But it doesn't have great small bump abilitiy and seems to ramp up in the last half of it's travel. There's stiction too and no adjustability.

The Reba TA is all good in the mentioned departments.

Photo is with 650 wheels front and back and White Brothers 650b TA fork.

fc

Attachments

·
Mtbr Founder
34,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ATBScott said:
Well Francis - SOMEBODY asked the question - YOU! (I'd have to say it sounds like you're talking to yourself!) Looks pretty cool - had to look closely to see the different sized-wheels... Actually looks pretty balanced!
One the my dings against 69er bikes is they look funny. This one actually looks well-proportioned.

fc

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I tried this same exact thing with the Ibis Mojo i'm currently testing. It works very well.

R.

·
San Diego County
1,475 Posts
Rainman said:
I tried this same exact thing with the Ibis Mojo i'm currently testing. It works very well.

R.
Ray, you have a 650/29er Mojo? Have I missed it by not visiting the 650 forum lately?

Thank you for the dems fc. You were a part of my insperation to try smaller bikes. I am really digging riding small frames with big wheels these days. I'm 6'-0".

·
Mtbr Founder
34,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1-bar said:
how does it compare to your Jet9?
The Jet 9 is a fast and agile bike. The three inches of travel in the rear is very active and it is a very efficient pedaler. The suspension is plush but it ramps up pretty quickly at the end of the travel.

The El Bastardo is not quite as fast. It seems easier to dance with some hip movements and it seems to do jumps and drops more confidently.

fc

·
Registered
445 Posts
659er

Humm, well this bike sort of answers my question……..I recently sent Ventana a email asking if they could mate their 650B rear triangle to their 69 front triangle. Sent the same basic 659er question to Lentz bty.

But I never thought about doing it this way. With this approach my main concern is HT angle. Is it to slack on this bike?? Do you need to lower the RS travel on a steep climb? What about very sharp switchbacks etc?? (does your RS fork have the uturn feature?) Any more thoughts/comments on the HT angle with this set up? Looks great/balanced bty!!!

edit... uh i assume the RS fork is a 120mm, or is it a 100mm, you know what happens when you assummmmmmm

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I'm currently testing an Ibis Mojo as a 650B setup against 26" and 29" bikes on a long term basis.

For a while, I had the WB 29'er fork off my RIP9 on the Ibis while I was waiting for a new Nixon 145mm to arrive, so after trying the Ibis as a 27.5 front and rear, I dropped the 29'er wheel onto the front end and gave that a try as well. It worked quite nicely, but I must say that with the Ibis I prefer it set up as either a full 650B or with a 26" in the back and the 650B in the front.

With the 26"/27.5" setup, it accelerates like a 26" bike, but retains the brilliant rollover characteristics of a 29...almost. . . :D the best of both worlds, imo.

The Ibis forum is where I have been reporting on my progress with the testing. I went through an initial setting up of the Ibis and am now ready to start testing in earnest over the next few months.

R.

Duzitall said:
Ray, you have a 650/29er Mojo? Have I missed it by not visiting the 650 forum lately?

Thank you for the dems fc. You were a part of my insperation to try smaller bikes. I am really digging riding small frames with big wheels these days. I'm 6'-0".

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
Wow! All this 26er, 650B, 29er stuff is hard enough to sort through without mixing and matching. What we really need is a 625A/28.25 combo. This would be the ULTIMATE split-the-difference ideal wheel combo and might finally end the great wheel debate.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts