Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
OMGOMGOMG!!! lov it guys! I can wait too hit that on my demo9 man.

i woold ride more xc if it had bannanas in it! LOLL! j/k ok? so i dint even no this was at duthie yet whn did it get build??? That guys Who build it must be soem kindof jenus or some things. its almost like my dads welding shop cold be under that ting lol its SO huge.

nice picsurse too guys when will u be back out lol. Wold be cool if you cold get my demo9 gettin sky hi off that sweeeeet wood jumps!! BBWWAAAAARPP! lol. so cool. hahahaa soem of u guys in the pics need soem style teacher be cause a jump like THAT needs style haha j/k i will prolly fall off it!! lol! ha. what pedals shood a guy use on that?? thinkin about stratlines BWWWAAARP. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,475 Posts
I realize it's only March, but I think we have a solid contender for "best feature name of 2011" right here.

I look forward to experiencing the Banana Hammock myself! Maybe this weekend.
 

·
Just roll it......
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
Looks sweet fellas! I think you guys should post pics of the approach and side views....the feature looks really badass.

Westra, curious where you guys got those curved glue-lam pieces? I'd love to track some of those down!

EB
 

·
I5Troll
Joined
·
1,343 Posts
ebxtreme said:
Westra, curious where you guys got those curved glue-lam pieces?
That was a lucky gift from King County parks. Left over from a different project and they had no other use for them. Also lucky Chad had the vision... gotta admit I was at a loss for what to do with 'em.

No idea how to find more. For curved structures we've been ripping 2x12s into the curve and fastening them on top of stringers. FM may even have some CAD drawings of the MovinOn coasters :).
 

·
Just roll it......
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
mwestra2 said:
That was a lucky gift from King County parks. Left over from a different project and they had no other use for them. Also lucky Chad had the vision... gotta admit I was at a loss for what to do with 'em.

No idea how to find more. For curved structures we've been ripping 2x12s into the curve and fastening them on top of stringers. FM may even have some CAD drawings of the MovinOn coasters :).
Cool. yeah, I know about the 2 x 12" option. I've got some curved cedar stringers stashed as well, but they're not as uniform as those (obviously).

EB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,470 Posts
Oh, how fun would it be to frame up some features like this:


My guess (with some quick web research to verify) is that beams like Chad used are worth at least $500 each, possibly twice that. :eekster:

I do really like cutting 2x8's-2x12's into curved stringers. Can be easily down with a chainsaw (easier than the skillsaw I used at Duthie). Building straight/flat wood features seems pretty boring now :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
your guys' ingenuity amazes me. i don't know what i am more excited for, riding the banana hammock or telling people i just rode a banana hammock for their questioning glares.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yeah, those glu-lams aren't cheap. They have also been treated with a water repellent that reeks really bad. When I was sawing them with the skillsaw the smoke just about made me keel over. You can smell the feature from aways away. I'm pretty glad though. Traditional glu-lams aren't meant for outdoors. There are a few companies that make them but they are spendy. They will require upkeep for sure. But thats no biggie. The actual dimension of these are 4" x 12"x 20'. So the actual feature is 30 feat long just counting the wood portion (20' glue-lams + 10' casegaurd). It's a long sucker and super stout. It also the first wood feature that didn't need some sort of tweaking. It worked perfect the first go. That doesn't happen very often. Glad everyone is as stoked on it as we are. That second feature has always bothered me. Just didn't know what to do there for the longest time. When Kevin and Mike asked if I could use those I had to pinch myself. "Oh yeah, I can use those!" Big thanks to Scotty (DWB), Armando, Ian, Jon, Kevmo, Scotty, Will, Edgar, Nate, Geoff, Gibran, and on and on, for all the help.
Here's a few sideshots and such, EB.









 

·
canuck
Joined
·
695 Posts
SandyClam said:
OMGOMGOMG!!! lov it guys! I can wait too hit that on my demo9 man.

i woold ride more xc if it had bannanas in it! LOLL! j/k ok? so i dint even no this was at duthie yet whn did it get build??? That guys Who build it must be soem kindof jenus or some things. its almost like my dads welding shop cold be under that ting lol its SO huge.

nice picsurse too guys when will u be back out lol. Wold be cool if you cold get my demo9 gettin sky hi off that sweeeeet wood jumps!! BBWWAAAAARPP! lol. so cool. hahahaa soem of u guys in the pics need soem style teacher be cause a jump like THAT needs style haha j/k i will prolly fall off it!! lol! ha. what pedals shood a guy use on that?? thinkin about stratlines BWWWAAARP. :D
Is this real life...?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top