Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a HT vs FS thread. Hoping some of you are/have been in my shoes to give real-world input based on the financials of owning/racing with two bikes.

Thinking of about parting ways with the 29er carbon HT aka "the backup bike". The main ride is a very light short travel carbon 29er FS, and it is PERFECT for all my racing needs. The road bike is, well, the road bike and in the past 8 months I have not ridden the HT, a nice light one at that, because the road and FS are better for my longer training rides and rough races. I think there is maybe 1 or 2 shorter events where the slightly lighter HT would be great, but from the financial side of things selling the HT would go toward race entry, travel, nutrition, upkeep, etc. And free up garage space.

Do any of you have such a back-up bike and couldn't imagine training and racing without it? Or was it a good decision to sell the bike with too much overlap versus your main race bike.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I sold mine and bought a longer travel AM bike. I also moved to a place with rougher terrain, though, so I don't miss it much.

If in your shoes, I'd sell the bike that is never used, and have a spare wheelset, rear derailleur, etc. on hand for the bike that is ridden. Stay on top of maintenance, also (fork, bearings, BB, etc.)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I don't have a specific back-up bike (I have to remember this for future justifications against my wide) but I have a

* 29er Race HT
* 26 Enduro
* Road Bike
* Cyclocross (mainly used as commuter bike)
* Fat bike (I live in the mountains, lots of snow .... nice justification)
* folding bike
* child trailer bike
* my first mountain bike (steel!!!) from the 80s
* my first alu and front suspension bike from the 90s

(the latter two for nostalgic reasons)

and I must say, each of them deserves its place in the garage. The car is in the street.

... and there are a couple of frames in my basement (my old 26 Race HT, my old 26 Race FS .....)

As I grow older and my back starts hurting (perfect justification for wife) I may consider adding a 29er Race FS. This could be a "backup bike"

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I don't think it makes much sense to have a hardtail as a back up bike if you are using a full suspension as your primary bike and feel it's perfect for your racing needs. Especially if it doesn't get used.

I think having spare wheelset as mentioned makes the most sense. Relatively easy to cart around and will solve many of the problems you might experience. Similarly you might want to have a few spare parts lying around that might cause 'common' mechanicals.

I've done the whole 'back-up' bike thing, usually a lower quality bike, and I just don't use them, and really never HAD to use them (wheels, yes). It's pretty rare to have a catastrophic failure within 24 hours of race where you can't get it fixed if you really want.

That being said, it is nice to have two MTBs, but I'd rather have two that are different enough to provide a unique experience, making me want to ride both of them. No point having a bike collecting dust. This year I went ahead an purchased a longer travel trail bike (compared to my hardtail). Luckily the trail bike is still light enough (23lbs) that it can certainly be raced if needed.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to hijack the thread, but what sweet longer trail bike is 23 pounds?? That is indeed race-day worthy!

Thanks for all the input. Spare wheelset and essentials being sought, bike going.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Convert it to a SS ... that's what I did. I really enjoy the simplicity / pureness of SS riding but race geared. I converted last years race bike to SS but in a pinch I can quickly convert it back to geared should my primary race bike have a mechanical issue. So I have the best of both worlds. Nice light, agile SS bike that is also my back up bike.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
If you never use it then get rid of it before you can't get anything for it.

However, you might think about using it a bit more. My one complaint with full-squish is that they require more maintenance. With the amount of riding that I do after a single season as my only bike a dually is going to need a lot of love. A hardtail with a good smart component group allows you to extend the lifespan of your expensive race bike.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I have five bikes and I love each and every one of them.

I got a shiny new FS race bike last July. I now do most of my riding on it, and it crossed my mind that I might get rid of my old bike. But I find it convenient to keep it at work, so I don't have to shuttle the new bike there and back for lunch rides. I ride it about once a week.

Since moving last year, I no longer commute by bike. That road bike was on the chopping block for a while, but I find it convenient to have it available to ride while my nicer one has a 28 mm tire and sits on the trainer. The commuter has fenders and disc brakes, so a little bit of setup change has made it perfect for training while the weather is chancy.

I'm still claiming I'll get rid of my track bike if I don't have a better start to my season this year, though.

So I'd say look at the different jobs your bikes do and times and places you ride them. Maybe you can repurpose this bike and get a few more seasons' joy out of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.