Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who else here has fairly bad asthma?

im on advair 250/50 and keep an albuterol in my sock or seatpack.
the more i ride, the more my lungs get used to everything but its rough
nothing like feeling like youre going to pass out, yet not being the least bit physically tired

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Oh buddy, I'm with you on this one.

Got the Advair 500/50 AND Singulair w/ Albuterol as a backup.

To top all that off, I have inflamed cartilage in my ribs. So when I start breathing heavy, I literally can't move from the pain (diaphragm puts too much stress on my lower 3 rips...) It's a glorious life lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i usually am okay for the first few minutes of a ride..
then i usually have a good attack that lasts like 5 minutes..
then its a slow clearout and im usually pretty ok for a while..

just enough to remind me that its not just my legs that need conditioning again
advair has been good to me though.

itll just suck in like 10 years when they ban it for destroying peoples lungs or soemthing

anyone remember theo-dur? brutal...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cardio (like biking) helps keep mine under wraps :)
It only crops up when its cold outside or I have a cold.

But since I started biking to school this year I'm able to keep a huge lead over my non-asthma friends!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yep...
This is a selling point I use sometimes....I have tried about every sport/activity you can think of and Mtb'ing has probably improved my asthma at least 3 fold...and thats the truth....but for some reason running always makes me reach for my inhaler.....Sure sucks though doesn't it, makes you wonder what you could do if you didn't have it, or what it would actually feel like to run out of breath Not because you cant breathe...

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
I ought to be president of the MTB asthma club. I've suffered from the disease since I was a kid, and now at 30 years of age, I think I finally have a pretty good handle on it, after a lot of education on the disease state. It also helps that I market a prescription asthma medicine.

I'm on Pulmicort Turbuhaler because being on a regimen of steroids is critical to keeping the disease under control. I supplement this with a nightly dose of Singulair, which may or may not do much for my asthma, but I take it all the same. And then I use a generic form of albuterol as my rescue medication. I complement this with a daily dose of antihistamine/vasoconstrictor (chlorpheneramine/psuedoephedrine) to ward of any allergies which may trigger my asthma. I use that combo because antihistamines are downers and I offset that side-effect by using the vasoconstrictor, which is an upper.

This regimen works for me, and this is how I know - on my maiden ride of the season this past weekend, I had to do a lot of climbing. Upon reaching each peak, I was winded and gasping for breath, but had no wheezing. I realized that I was this way because I'm out of shape, not because my asthma was acting up. I was tempted to reach for my inhaler each time, but fought it off by simply taking deep breaths to ease my lungs. Then I was off again. 1.5 hours of pretty hectic riding and not one wheeze.

I'm no doctor, but I am paid to know all this for a living. So if anyone's got any questions, I can try and help if I can.

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
I'm asthmatic. I also smoke grass everyday.

I find that key to controlling asthma when you exercise and have a bad habit (smoking) is to use the cortisol preventer: becotide as directed.

Beta 2 drugs like albuterol/clenbuterol are related to the mildly anabolic clenbuterol.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Picard said:
Is there Arthritic MTB club for riders over 70 yrs old ?
Despite your inflated opinion of yourself, you are really not funny. Do your fellow MTB'ers a favor and stop posting your non-helpful remarks.

·
I need a new name
911 Posts
I've had asthma since I was a kid but didn't start taking anything for it until 2-3 years ago. I started taking Singular which helped some. Next I moved to Advair 100/50 and it has been great. My insurance has screwed up and says I already have this months supply so they wouldn't pay for my latest refill. Right now I'm stuck without it and honestly don't feel bad without it. I've been riding and training just like normal with no shortness of breath. Usually have this feeling of something caught in my throat too that has me trying to clear my throat alot. It hasn't been there since I stopped taking Advair. I do still keep my Albuterol around just in case.

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
If you have asthma it is totally pointless to just rely on a Beta 2 (os similar) reliever e.g. Salbutamol, Albuterol, etc.

You need a preventer to control asthma i.e. something cortisol based e.g. becotide.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kronik said:
If you have asthma it is totally pointless to just rely on a Beta 2 (os similar) reliever e.g. Salbutamol, Albuterol, etc.

You need a preventer to control asthma i.e. something cortisol based e.g. becotide.
no offense, but ill be keeping my albuterol in my pocket..
im not a big fan of collapsing and waking up with a mask over my face again

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
good lord

I've had it since I was a kid. Fond memories of mom holding my head under a towel over a boiling pot of water for humidity.

As a fellow singlespeeder, I thought the exertion would be too much but I seem to be growing out of it, and at 40 I just make sure I have an Albuterol inhaler in my CamelBak. If its cold out I will premedicate. I don't like the idea of steroids on a regular basis so I won't use them. And I am looking more to diet than drugs to keep the attacks under control.

Jeff

SpinWheelz said:
I'm on Pulmicort Turbuhaler because being on a regimen of steroids is critical to keeping the disease under control. I supplement this with a nightly dose of Singulair, which may or may not do much for my asthma, but I take it all the same. And then I use a generic form of albuterol as my rescue medication. I complement this with a daily dose of antihistamine/vasoconstrictor (chlorpheneramine/psuedoephedrine) to ward of any allergies which may trigger my asthma. I use that combo because antihistamines are downers and I offset that side-effect by using the vasoconstrictor, which is an upper.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
I'm going to have to defend steroids here now.

Maybe you know this already, maybe you don't, but I'll throw this out there anyway. Steroids are GOOD. In fact, they're probably the best thing one can take to keep asthma at bay. These corticosteroids are not the same as the anabolic steroids that plague professional sports. Anabolic steroids are derived from testosterone and have all kinds of wacky side effects, despite what Jose Conseco might say. Corticosteroids are a man-made version of the the steroids that already produced in your own body in your renal glands that sit on top of your kidneys. Synthetic version of a natural substance.

When you get a bug bite, the bite mark swells up and the blood vessels underneath are engorged with blood, causing the area to get inflammed. Sometimes you put a cortizone cream on it to make it go away. But even if you don't, it'll still go away because your body will produce the steroid and rush it to the site of the bite, where the steroid will act on the area to reduce the inflammation.

This is what asthma corticosteroids do. When you take it everyday, the inhaled steroid works directly in your lungs to temper any inflammation that might flare up from an asthma attack. In essence, you outright prevent any asthma attack from happening in the first place. And another benefit of steroids is that they aid in the healing of lung tissue that no other asthma remedy or diet can provide. Asthma attacks are brutal on the lungs and the constant swelling and constriction of the airways can damage lung tissue in the long term. Steroids help in the healing process, even when lung tissue is already damaged.

And that's why I'm a major proponent of using corticosteroids for control asthma. This way, you don't treat as asthma attack, you avoid the attack altogether. That being said, nothing bulletproof, so I take my albuterol with me always, just in case I need the rescue medicine. But albuterol will never ever treat asthma, it'll simply relieve you temporarily.

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
xrussox said:
no offense, but ill be keeping my albuterol in my pocket..
im not a big fan of collapsing and waking up with a mask over my face again
Albuterol is a reliever - it DOES NOT control asthma. You need a reliever and a preventer opr you are wasting your time and causing yourself unnecessary suffering.

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
I'm going to have to defend steroids here now.

Maybe you know this already, maybe you don't, but I'll throw this out there anyway. Steroids are GOOD. In fact, they're probably the best thing one can take to keep asthma at bay. These corticosteroids are not the same as the anabolic steroids that plague professional sports. Anabolic steroids are derived from testosterone and have all kinds of wacky side effects, despite what Jose Conseco might say. Corticosteroids are a man-made version of the the steroids that already produced in your own body in your renal glands that sit on top of your kidneys. Synthetic version of a natural substance.

When you get a bug bite, the bite mark swells up and the blood vessels underneath are engorged with blood, causing the area to get inflammed. Sometimes you put a cortizone cream on it to make it go away. But even if you don't, it'll still go away because your body will produce the steroid and rush it to the site of the bite, where the steroid will act on the area to reduce the inflammation.

This is what asthma corticosteroids do. When you take it everyday, the inhaled steroid works directly in your lungs to temper any inflammation that might flare up from an asthma attack. In essence, you outright prevent any asthma attack from happening in the first place. And another benefit of steroids is that they aid in the healing of lung tissue that no other asthma remedy or diet can provide. Asthma attacks are brutal on the lungs and the constant swelling and constriction of the airways can damage lung tissue in the long term. Steroids help in the healing process, even when lung tissue is already damaged.

And that's why I'm a major proponent of using corticosteroids for control asthma. This way, you don't treat as asthma attack, you avoid the attack altogether. That being said, nothing bulletproof, so I take my albuterol with me always, just in case I need the rescue medicine. But albuterol will never ever treat asthma, it'll simply relieve you temporarily.
Anabolic steroids should more correctly be referred to as anabolic steroids (AS) and testosterone. AS are derivatives of testosterone, but AS and testosterone are distinct compounds. AS have usually been manipulated to exhibit mainly the anabolic aspect of testosterone. They are mildly androgenic.. though there are excpetions. Testosterone is androgenic and anabolic.

Cortisol can actually cause more problems than steroids. Cortisol can disrupt the HPAA (hypathalmus pituitary adrenal axis) and steroids can inhibit the HPTA (hypathalmus pituitary testicular axis), but disruption of the HPAA can be deadly, wheras disruption of the HPTA is usually not..

AS are synthetic.. cortisol deriviates like beclamethasone are synthetic.. cortisol is catabolic (opposite of anabolic) biut the doses delivered by a cortisol inhaler are miniscule. Cortisol doesn't heal the lungs (or any tissue it is administered to for that matter).. it destroys tissue.. it tears down inflamed tissue and healthy tissue.. it is catabolic.

AS are groovy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
kronik said:
Albuterol is a reliever - it DOES NOT control asthma. You need a reliever and a preventer opr you are wasting your time and causing yourself unnecessary suffering.
yeah good idea man. i should look into that.
i usually just turn some tires and take a few deep drags.

that and advair 250/50.

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.