Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be worrying about nothing but I need someone out there to reassure me. I've got a '98 Hei Hei with Marzocchi Marathon 100mm forks on and the guy at my LBS says that they're mucking up my geometry. Thing is, I love it and the slightly more relaxed angles really suit the riding I'm doing now.
Question is, if I bought a new compensated frame would I realise what a fool I have been and be rewarded with a revelation in handling or is the LBS being too picky.
Thanks in advance
Russ

·
Registered
213 Posts
Not sure what travel a '98 Hei Hei was originally specced with but I've had a '96 Explosif (originally came with 63mm Judy XCs) with various forks. Its currently got 80mm Z2s on it and I was quite happy with the handling until firstly I tried P2s and then got a '03 Rocky Mountain. Handling on the RM or with the P2s is so much quicker and responsive on technical trails but at the expense of a little stability. On steeper downs where the forks compress then the steeper head angle should be less stable but I haven't had a problem (yet).

If your riding is less technical or you prefer the extra stability then stick with your current forks.

IMHO I think that Kona have hardly changed the angles on their frames and that they have just got slacker as fork travel has increased.

Cheers,

Fluff

·
Registered
297 Posts
Go to www.Kona.dk and check out what fork the Ti frames came specced with during the dif. years. I know from Kona that the geo. on the HT frames didnt change from 96 up to 2000 or 1 , and during that time they came with forks from 63mm to 100mm.
I have a 97 KingKahuna , started out with a 75mm Manitou (that was longtravel in 97 )then a 100mm Judy and currently have a short rigid fork on it. Did it ride the same ; NO , did any of the forks bother me ; NO, they were just different and after a few rides I never thought of the way it steered with the previous fork. Having said that I think around 85-90mm would be optimal , hoping to get a U-Turn Reba soon.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Tranquility Base said:
I may be worrying about nothing but I need someone out there to reassure me. I've got a '98 Hei Hei with Marzocchi Marathon 100mm forks on and the guy at my LBS says that they're mucking up my geometry. Thing is, I love it and the slightly more relaxed angles really suit the riding I'm doing now.
Question is, if I bought a new compensated frame would I realise what a fool I have been and be rewarded with a revelation in handling or is the LBS being too picky.
Thanks in advance
Russ
The 98 came with a Z2 Atom Bomb which was an 80mm fork if I`m not mistaken. I don`t believe you`re missing much sporting the Marathon. Does anyone take "sag" into consideration?

I own a 97 KK and I`ve mounted a rigid P2, SID race 63mm and Marz 80mm. Aside from the difference in weights which makes the handling lighter/quicker there`s really not a "bad" setup per se - just a different feel. The 97 Hei Hei came with a Z1. Wasn`t that a 100mm fork? BTW - I also have a 97 Kona Kilauea - same size, and oddly enough the geometry is identical. It came from the factory with the rigid P2.

I think perhaps Kona went with the flavor of the month fork when putting together their higher end frames. The Kona geometry was the same for many years, just the components were changed. Consider this... the rigid P2 went from an axle to crown length of 390mm (early 90`s) to 410 (mid 90`s) to 415mm (present). How much did the geometry change?

The only way to really tell is mount a friends fork. Oh my... does that sound rude? :confused:

CASPER: I may have some 1997 Hei Hei/KK decals by the spring if you`re interested. Very good quality

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
top_ring said:
The 98 came with a Z2 Atom Bomb which was an 80mm fork if I`m not mistaken. I don`t believe you`re missing much sporting the Marathon. Does anyone take "sag" into consideration?

I own a 97 KK and I`ve mounted a rigid P2, SID race 63mm and Marz 80mm. Aside from the difference in weights which makes the handling lighter/quicker there`s really not a "bad" setup per se - just a different feel. The 97 Hei Hei came with a Z1. Wasn`t that a 100mm fork? BTW - I also have a 97 Kona Kilauea - same size, and oddly enough the geometry is identical. It came from the factory with the rigid P2.

I think perhaps Kona went with the flavor of the month fork when putting together their higher end frames. The Kona geometry was the same for many years, just the components were changed. Consider this... the rigid P2 went from an axle to crown length of 390mm (early 90`s) to 410 (mid 90`s) to 415mm (present). How much did the geometry change?

The only way to really tell is mount a friends fork. Oh my... does that sound rude? :confused:

CASPER: I may have some 1997 Hei Hei/KK decals by the spring if you`re interested. Very good quality
Thanks for getting back to me on the fork thing. If CASPER isn't interested in the decals can I get first refusal?

All the best
Russ

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Tranquility Base said:
Thanks for getting back to me on the fork thing. If CASPER isn't interested in the decals can I get first refusal?

All the best
Russ
When the decals are finished they will be in production for anyone who wants them. These are reproductions of actual Kona decals for the higher end machines for the 1997 year. They are the tropical floral ones and IMO are the best looking. You won`t be able to tell them apart from the ones that came on your 1997 bike. They`re good!

Should be ready by early spring. I will post when they are available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.