Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
formerly "ClydesdaleMTB"
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not really sure if this should go under Fat Bikes, 29"er or Single Speed, so the moderators feel free to relocate as you see fit..

Thought I'd chronicle my adventures in building then deploying my new Single Speed to Afghanistan. As one might assume, I'm in-route to "The Suck" once again!

As much as I'd love to do some "real" riding in the countryside of Afghanistan, the risk of IED's, EFP's, snipers, kidnappings and beheadings and all that kinda has me on the cautious side, so the bike is being built for daily around camp use to hopefully keep me from gaining 30 pounds from eating at the DFAC (Dining Facility).

My Van Dessel BuzzBomb has been a trusty steed and has been "well traveled". This was taken at Camp Navistar on the Kuwait/Iraq Border in 2006:

but alas I blew out a chainstay "JRA" on a gravel double-track last summer

So that leaves us where we are today, two weeks till deployment date and no bike.

Luckily, I spotted a classified for a Karate Monkey frameset got everything underway.

The previous owner, sevenpedaler, was sympathetic to my predicament and really did an amazing job at getting it boxed up and digging through his spare parts bins to minimize my need to purchase more parts to do the build-up.

My BuzzBomb is 900 miles away and though my teen daughter _could_ strip the frame and bring all the build-kit parts to me when they come visit next week, I though it best not to stress out the family anymore than they already are over this deployment. As long as she can bring me my wheelset I'll be OK.

So, between sevenpedaler's scrounging and my online purchases today I am expecting the following over the coming week:

KARATE MONKEY Frame ( Chum Bucket Red )
Raceface BB
RACE FACE RIDE DH X-TYPE SS CRANKS (36T crain-ring)
WIPPERMANN WHITESTAR NICKLE PLATED CHAIN
SURLY TUGNUT
SURLY CONSTRICTOR SEAT-POST CLAMP
THOMSON ELITE SEATPOST
CHRIS KING HEADSET
RACEFACE STEM
TITEC HELLBENT FLATBAR
GRIPS, (clamp on)
INCREDIBELL MINI BELL ( brass of course!-)
AVID SPEED DIAL LEVERS
HAYES HMX-1 Mechanical Disc Brakes
Continental Mountain King tires 29x2.4
PARK CN-10 CABLE CUTTER
Housing and brake cables with ferrules and crimp ends....
INNOVATIONS PRESTA VALVE ADAPTORS ( 5 )
PARK HXS-1 PROFESSIONAL HEX WRENCH SET
UNIVERSAL RIVOLI 8/9-SPEED CHAIN TOOL
BLACKBURN MAMMOTH ANYVALVE '11 ( 2 )
TRI-FLOW SUPER DRY 2 OZ. LUBE

Still need to find some decent platform pedals that will not slip under the hard soles of y combat boots.

What else? Hmmm, I thing that about covers it, but I'll probably pick up a few bottle cages and various other bits and bobbles locally.

I'd really like to find a rear Surly "Nice Rack" like I have on my commuter bike at home, since I found a creative way to make it work around disc brakes,vbut that will need to wait till my next payday.

:idea: A pink handlebar basket and some bar-end tassels would really "complete" the bike I think.

Pictures to come as parts arrive and the build-up begins.

--
V/R
SandSquid - Saildier, a fleet of one....
Navy "Individual Augmentee" pimped out to the Army

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yeah; your post is welcome. After you get settled in, keep the posts comming; fat bike related or not; IMO. You over there, with a bike, helps us at home keep things in perspective. You are in my prayers.

Like I say stay in touch.

·
formerly "ClydesdaleMTB"
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
slimhazy said:
How are you getting it there?
Luckily the Command I'm attached to has their own C-17's so my bike and all my other stuff will fly over as cargo right along side me with pretty much no restrictions as long as the loadmaster can make weight and balance.

And thanks for all your well wished and expressions of gratitude. And I say to you: Thank you all for doing your part by voting. I know we have our own "internal" problems here, but I've seen the way the rest of the world lives, and believe me, we have it Sooo much better here!

·
formerly "ClydesdaleMTB"
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rabies010 said:
What i would like to know is how you f*ck*d up that chainstay so bad ?? :eek:
Damn !
No logical reason what-so-ever... Granted, I am a pretty stout guy ( 6'1" and 240# ) but
I was just piddling along on a totally flat graded gravel double-track, and it blew apart!
:mad:

VanDessel offered me a "crash replacement discount" towards a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot 29"er frame, but I decided against it, purely on a matter of principal. I very seriously feel they should have swapped the frame out at no charge to me. I didn't even want the fork, just a bare frame, but there you have it.

Now I'll have a Surly and no worries about Customer Service down the road. :thumbsup:

·
R.I.P. Pugsley.
1,706 Posts
SandSquid said:
No logical reason what-so-ever... Granted, I am a pretty stout guy ( 6'1" and 240# ) but
I was just piddling along on a totally flat graded gravel double-track, and it blew apart!
:mad:

VanDessel offered me a "crash replacement discount" towards a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot 29"er frame, but I decided against it, purely on a matter of principal. I very seriously feel they should have swapped the frame out at no charge to me. I didn't even want the fork, just a bare frame, but there you have it.

Now I'll have a Surly and no worries about Customer Service down the road. :thumbsup:
I would almost be tempted to say it looks like it has caught some enemy fire...:p
But as for the service of of VD and their discount offer, that is realy a good example of failure on their side. (twice counting the damage your frame sufferd)

But i have heared great things about Surly and their service, so i also have no worries there as well.:thumbsup:

·
formerly "ClydesdaleMTB"
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wyatt79m said:
You could always upgrade to a fat front later, to help with the sand.
I didn't have too much trouble with the sand in Kuwait and Iraq with my WTB ExiWolf (2.3") 29" as long as I stayed on the established routes. ti was when I ventured off into the dunes that I had some issues with washing out. but I really was not supposed to be there anyway.

I really don't know what to expect in Afghanistan, but I suspect the roads and paths I'll be on are pretty well beaten down by now.

Anxiously tracking 4 different shipments of bike and parts all due to arrive on, or before, Friday.

My wife found my 29"er wheels at the house and she is driving them here, along with my two kids this weekend so we can have some "quality family time" before I depart.

Don't know how much I can get done before they get here, but once they do it's "all stop" on the bike building, until they go back home.

·
Registered
300 Posts
SandSquid said:
Luckily the Command I'm attached to has their own C-17's so my bike and all my other stuff will fly over as cargo right along side me with pretty much no restrictions as long as the loadmaster can make weight and balance.
Sweet. Take a hammock and 2 carabiners and you'll sleep like a baby the whole way there. :thumbsup:

What are you packing for spares?

·
formerly "ClydesdaleMTB"
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
slimhazy said:
Sweet. Take a hammock and 2 carabiners and you'll sleep like a baby the whole way there. :thumbsup:
Unfortunately, my oldest girl will be needing her ENO DoubleNest before I can get it shipped back to her, hopefully I can find an outfitter locally to buy another for my very own.

ANYTHING to keep from having to sleep on the cold metal decking between the jump seats and the cargo!!!

What are you packing for spares?
sevenpeddler hooked me up with a pile of recycled tubes in various diameters and the MountianKing 2.4" tires, as well as my 2.3's that are mounted on my exiting wheelset.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.