Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· 4.0" fully suspended
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Extremely happy with how this came out so I thought I would do a little show and tell for the freaks out there.
Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim

Winter Automotive tire Freezing Rim Snow

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Winter Rim

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Winter

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

-09 turner sultan w/ modified rear triangle by Samsara Cycles
-Fits a 170mm salsa rear hub
-Currently using 26" 50mm speedway uma/ larry 3.8" on front and 50mm uma/endomorph 3.7" rear
-Profile cranks w/ 6 7/8" inch chromoly spindle to give the chainstay and seatstay clearance
-For the weight weiners out there it's 36.17 lbs. as seen here

Purpose: Snowbike all difficulties of xc ski/ multi-use trails near Lyons, Colorado and hit normal trails when there is <6" of snow. Have a snowbike at my disposal for the Leadville Winter Race Series. Have the ability to switch quickly back to 29er config.

Budget: Build it for less than the cost of a Salsa Mukluk.

Why? Got the snowbiking bug but I didn't want another bike in the stable. Weather on the front range really doesn't justify it. I've been extremely happy with my sultan and thought the sultan would be a great candidate due to its geometry and dw-link suspension design. Plus having a full suspension snowbike would be unique and add more to the fun that's already had with snowbiking.
I've gotten 2 rides on dirt, 1 ride at Buchanan Pass in the snow, and 1 snow race at Leadville. Couldn't be happier with how this project turned out and how it rides. Just would like to say thanks to:
Matt @ Samsara for doing a kick ass job on the rear triangle modification
Turner for making such a great bike
Redstone Cyclery for helping locate a donor rear triangle, building the wheels, and getting me hooked on snowbiking during the shop Tuesday Night rides.
:thumbsup:

· 4.0" fully suspended
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tscheezy said:
I've built a few Turner snauxbikes myself, so I would be curious to know what they did to widen the rear tri to pass an Endomorph and add 35mm to the axle spacing. I have to assume a bit of welding was involved.
yep I am familiar with what you did and drew inspiration from your work.:thumbsup:
Cutting and welding was involved. Give a better look with this pic. I'll try to detail more complete build info later. It is pretty cool what Samsara did.
Machine Bicycle drivetrain part Automotive engine part Vehicle brake Crankset

· Your Best Friend
5,725 Posts
I LOVE this bike!!! You have me convinced to do this...eventually. Do you mind pricing out what you did? Well, I guess what I mean is, you said it cost less than a Mukluk. Did you already own the fork (huge cost), and cranks? Just wondering what a final cost would be for the whole snowbike "kit". Thanks!!!

· ride
5,235 Posts
That bike is for sure one of the coolest bikes to roll thru Redstone. Maybe ever. Funny thing is that it doesn't really ride that much difference at all. RE the question about the tire hitting the seattube - the OD of the 26" snow tire is almost spot on with a big volume 29er tire. Dirtydoug can give you the specifics but the only mods really were to widen the rear tri to accomodate the rear tire. No more or less travel and the tire diameter is consistent with a 29er.

Such a sweet bike. I can't wait for Dirtydoug to let me take it out in the snow!

· No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
dirtydoug said:
I'll try to detail more complete build info later.
Kewl. If you get a chance, just pop the rear wheel out and take some detail shots from different angles. It's a very cool mod and I'm surprised more things like this don't show up occasionally, especially among Turner owners. I think we are the most obsessive bike tweakers going. :)

And as Dave said, the effective wheel diameter of an Endomorph is the the same as a 29er.

· 4.0" fully suspended
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
couple more pics

here is some pics of the piece fabricated to open up the rear. It measures approx. 50 mm in width and is located on the non-drive side.
Beige Khaki Rectangle Material property Metal

This next pic has it flipped upside down (compared to actual on bike) but it shows how the straight tubing of the non-drive side rear triangle of sultan butts into place
Natural material Aluminium Silver Transparent material Crystal

· Registered
1,265 Posts
dirtydoug said:
Extremely happy with how this came out so I thought I would do a little show and tell for the freaks out there.
View attachment 601328

View attachment 601329

View attachment 601330

View attachment 601331

View attachment 601332

-09 turner sultan w/ modified rear triangle by Samsara Cycles
-Fits a 170mm salsa rear hub
-Currently using 26" 50mm speedway uma/ larry 3.8" on front and 50mm uma/endomorph 3.7" rear
-Profile cranks w/ 6 7/8" inch chromoly spindle to give the chainstay and seatstay clearance
-For the weight weiners out there it's 36.17 lbs. as seen here

Purpose: Snowbike all difficulties of xc ski/ multi-use trails near Lyons, Colorado and hit normal trails when there is <6" of snow. Have a snowbike at my disposal for the Leadville Winter Race Series. Have the ability to switch quickly back to 29er config.

Budget: Build it for less than the cost of a Salsa Mukluk.

Why? Got the snowbiking bug but I didn't want another bike in the stable. Weather on the front range really doesn't justify it. I've been extremely happy with my sultan and thought the sultan would be a great candidate due to its geometry and dw-link suspension design. Plus having a full suspension snowbike would be unique and add more to the fun that's already had with snowbiking.
I've gotten 2 rides on dirt, 1 ride at Buchanan Pass in the snow, and 1 snow race at Leadville. Couldn't be happier with how this project turned out and how it rides. Just would like to say thanks to:
Matt @ Samsara for doing a kick ass job on the rear triangle modification
Turner for making such a great bike
Redstone Cyclery for helping locate a donor rear triangle, building the wheels, and getting me hooked on snowbiking during the shop Tuesday Night rides.
:thumbsup:
AWESOME

I have actually been in the process of building almost the exact same thing for myself but using a custom built steel swingarm and a linkage fork. With my schedule, hopefully I'll be able to ride it for next winter, hah!

Great for inspiration

Dave

· 4.0" fully suspended
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cool dw I am finding I really love riding this thing in the dirt too. Been riding trails in an OHV area that the local downhillers like to push their bikes up to and let it rip. The abominable snowbike eats up the terrain. The endomorph tire is just not the right tire though and does limit what you can do, wants to slide and locks up extremely easily during braking.

Having dw chime in here is a good segueway into some of the suspension linkage stuff. I don't know if folks noticed in one of the pics above is the orientation of the dw link. It's been flopped so the offset moves the triangle more to the drive side.
Here is pic of the main pivot shaft with spacers. New vs. old. Samsara duplicated the spiral wound grooves too.
Household hardware Metal Tool accessory Fastener Hardware accessory

Did it impact the suspension? No, not at all in fact it feels like there is less flex in the rear. Symptomatic of the 170mm rear hub + wider main pivot?

· 4.0" fully suspended
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
eyedmtb said:
Awesome! I love that maverick fork, light too. Clearance for larger rear?
Yep there is clearance for larger rear. There is a 102mm clearance between non-drive side chainstay and chain for the future. Samsara may not like to hear this but some grinding could increase this even more.
In retropsect I am glad I went with the 50mm rim - lighter, stronger, and just enough flotation for my needs. Cheaper too, people may be more willing to part with the 50mm cause it seems like everybody wants the flotation and stepping up to 80 and 100mm rims.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.