Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 786 Posts

·
mtb'er
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I seem to run across a lot of old, abandoned vehicles in the boonies, off trails that would be impossible to drive on... and I always ask myself, "how did that get here in the first place?"

Here are a couple pix from the Sierra foothills (I need to dig up a few more). I have no comprehension on how the Nissan got where it is (near Georgetown, CA).

Whatchoo got?

Attachments

·
Made in Canada
415 Posts
Here's one from back home in near Sarnia, Ontario, Canada:

Reactions: kwrides

·
Is it Friday yet?
589 Posts
Lol. Great thread. I've thought it before too...and not just about cars..."who the hell brought an old clothes dryer way off into the woods and why?"

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,914 Posts
Well remember, much of the trails we ride on today might not always have been just singletrack or double track. Many are along old farm roads, logging roads, fire service roads, etc. Plus the reason for washing machines is to avoid dump service fees at the local landfills. Many towns put limits on curbside trash collection, and if you try and take a washing machine to the landfill yourself they charge you a price to do it, so that's why you end up with stuff dumped in the woods.

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
I believe these are both Pontiac's. One is for sure.

·
Just Gettin Started
43 Posts
here's a car I found on a trail in Northern California. In the Shasta County area. Seems to me anyways to be a 30-40's chevy and it had a shovel on the front. atleast it looks like one to me in the picture.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Cool Thread...

...great idea.....will search my pictures for a few to post up.....I agree with one of the posters that alot of the single tracks we ride today were formally farm , logging, hunting camp roads......now grown in into trails...so some cars get stuck out there....some are stolen cars for sure.....when i was a kid a friend in the neighborhood took his older brothers car and hid it in the woods for us to drive....a Morris Minor....we had fun for about 6 months and then it broke down....well we next used it for target practice....you get the idea.....not much of it left after 30 years.....

·
Registered
531 Posts
There is a car off Rt 50 in the woods just inside the Beltway in Northern VA. It is an incredibly weird spot for a car to be, I'll take pictures next time I am back east.

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
what area is that first one from? is it near the ocean or something?
At first I thought it had been burned the way the rust covers everything but then I noticed the tires are still on it ? :confused:
Not close enough to the ocean for it to have any effect on it. It's in Big River Management, Rhode Island.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Here is one on one of my local trails. Its been there a really long time and its just the past couple years that someone started painting it.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have seen MANY abandon cars along my local trails but here where im stationed in AL buddy of mine & myself find all kinds of old Military stuff back in the woods hiking/biking. mostly abandon training sites with random stuff left behind, but the coolest thing to date was an abandon chopper fuselage. ill dig up the photos and post them up later.

1 - 20 of 786 Posts