Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ride More, Work Less
7,774 Posts
It is one way to estimate FTP. Trainerroad has several different FTP routines that can be used to estimate FTP. One uses 2 eight minute efforts. The multiplier is 0.9. They have a 20 minute test and it uses a multiplier of 0.95. They also have a 2x20 min routine where you get the average power and then use the 0.95 multiplier. Then they have the sufferfest rubberglove test which is a 20 min test. Finally, you can just ride for an hour and get the average power. All are brutal.

In terms of the 5 min question, sure, you could use that as a way estimate the 1 hour power. I don't know of the multiplier, but it is probably in the 0.8 - .89 range.

·
Endurance Junkie
216 Posts
In terms of the 5 min question, sure, you could use that as a way estimate the 1 hour power. I don't know of the multiplier, but it is probably in the 0.8 - .89 range.
I think the question is referring to the Coggan FTP test, where you do a 5 minute blowout prior to your 20 minute test. That is the protocol that I use for FTP testing.

I don't usually do a 5 minute blowout before a normal interval workout. It really depends on what you're trying to achieve, but just doing it before any workout is a bit random and I wouldn't advise it.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
If you're doing a planned interval session then it will have its own structure as you target intervals of a particular duration. If doing a five minute interval isn't part of that planned workout then I wouldn't do one beforehand just for the sake of it. I'll concentrate on a gentle warmup and then doing the target intervals as well as possible first.

Some examples of riding interval sessions on the turbo trainer:

http://forums.mtbr.com/xc-racing-tr...trainer-873535-post10654293.html#post10654293

That's not to say there's anything stopping you from doing a 5 minute interval if you want to toughen things up a bit. What I usually do if I'm doing intervals outdoors is to do an hour of intervals and then keep riding for another few hours afterwards to make up the time. In those next hours I just do whatever I feel like doing, steady pace if I'm stuffed, hill climbing, maybe a twenty minute time trial, go ride some trails etc.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.