Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's time to start planning for the Fourth Annual MTBR Summer Kickoff Gathering in Downieville! This year we'll be kicking off the Sierra riding season just a bit later to allow for the last of the unsettled weather to pass through. Fingers crossed, it should be good to go by June 25! Bike and brew sponsors will be back in full force this year to keep the good riding and good beer flowing. We'll be raffling off another mind-blowing truckful of gear and swag with enough competition and tomfoolery to keep it interesting. And most of all, we'll have plenty of rides going of all levels to challenge the hardened mountain man as well as introduce the newbie to the gem that is the Downieville trail system.

Camping
We will again be camping at Packsaddle Campground. Packsaddle campground is 6000 feet elevation, has developed campsites, hand pumped water and vault toilets. The campground is located 2 miles from Packer Saddle, and 1/4 mile from Packer Lake. To get there from Downieville, continue on 49 north for 17 miles. You will pass Sierra City at 12.5 miles. After 4.5 miles, turn left on Gold Lake Hwy. You will see Bassetts Station General Store on the corner. Follow Gold Lake Hwy. for approx 1.5 miles and turn left on CR-621/Packer Lake Road. In .25 mile, turn right to continue on Packer Lake Road. Within 2 miles, look for signs pointing you toward Packsaddle Campground. It will be on the left. If you pass Packer Lake, you've gone too far!

The campsites can be reserved online now. Go to http://www.recreation.gov/ and search for Packsaddle Campground in the Park name field. Enter the appropriate dates and you'll be able to reserve a site. Once they are all reserved, don't worry. We'll have the place to ourselves and will be able to disperse evenly. This is a communal event and we try our best to share the space. In addition, five sites will be available on a first come-first served basis. These will be available and we'll make sure they are reserved for our use.

Families, Pets and Non-riders
Camping is fun, kids are cool and there is plenty of non-bike related stuff to do in the greater Lakes Basin. If you plan on bringing a mellow, well-behaved dog just check the official rules. Not sure if they are allowed in the campgrounds.

Beer
The beer will be back and so will the pint glasses. You will want one. We'll be selling them with maybe some other cool shwag. Details to come. Nuff said.

Rides
Shuttled rides will be provided by Yuba Expeditions and Downieville Outfitters.

Yuba Expeditions
208 Main Street
Downieville, CA 95936
(530) 289-3010
http://www.yubaexpeditions.com/

Downieville Outfitters
114 Main Street
Downieville, CA 95936
(530) 289-0155
http://www.downievilleoutfitters.com/

It's important to reserve your shuttles early, so figure out how you want to spend your ride time and plan accordingly.

We will be organizing a few key group rides, with big and small rides planned for Friday and Saturday. More information will be available as the event approaches. Previous rides have included a death march through snow to distant lakes, rides from camp to the North Yuba Trail and beyond, and "everything" rides that include Deer Lake, Tamarack Lake Loop and Big Boulder trails. There truly will be something for everyone.

Bike demos
One of the greatest benefits of the Downieville Gathering is the ability to try out high-end bikes on some of the greatest trails on the planet. We will be hosting a select mix of big name bike companies that will have a demo fleet for your use FREE OF CHARGE. If you want to see what four-, five-, or six inches of travel is like on Pauley Creek, this will be your chance.

Updates
Check back here for more information as we dial in our bike, beer and swag sponsors. We'll post any other important info as needed, as well. Put it on the calendar, you won't want to miss this!!!

Attachments

·
Not here to cause trouble
46 Posts
Campsite reserved!

I've been to Downieville only once before and don't quite remember how the shuttles work...

Will we need a shuttle from the campsite to the trail head or is it just to get back up to the campsite? Last time I was there, we stayed in town.

Also - any links about trails in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Stacey

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Stacey,

PackSaddle is located about 1/2 mile (or so-insert evil laugh here) from the top. Shuttles need to be scheduled for after your ride; getting you back to the campgrounds.
~smiley~ said:
Campsite reserved!

I've been to Downieville only once before and don't quite remember how the shuttles work...

Will we need a shuttle from the campsite to the trail head or is it just to get back up to the campsite? Last time I was there, we stayed in town.

Also - any links about trails in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Stacey

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Menso, hope you and the fam can make it! Your mom can always demo a bike from the camp in case she doesn't get the FS hookup before then. That is, if you choose to be a complete disappointment in that regard. ;-)

·
Registered
197 Posts
get it while you can

For those of you that enjoy riding Deer Lake and Tamarack Lakes Trail, this will most likely be the last season it's open to bikes. So enjoy it while you can, because..... the Yuba River Ranger District has filed for an Optimum Location Review (OLR) for the realignment of the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) from the Sierra Buttes north to Summit Lake. The new PCT Optimum Location, as aligned by the Yuba River Ranger District without any input or consideration from the public, usurps both Tamarack Lakes and Deer Lake Trail. Reasons for realigning the PCT include: excessive mountain bike traffic, nearby OHV roads, and the possible "stocking" of young females by motorized users.

If these were truly the issues, the Forest Service should hire Law Enforcement Officers, not realign the trail, especially when the proposed route utilizes trails which are currently open to mountain bikes. If one of the driving forces for moving the trail is excessive mountain bike use, then realigning the PCT onto mountain bike trails is not an intelligent answer. What is truly needed is a good recreation management plan for the area, or we will start to lose even more trails. Did I mention that the newly appointed District Ranger for the Downieville area is an expert in Wildlife Biology with no recreation background? Goshawk studies here we come!

It seems that the only way to stop this PCT Optimum Location Review is through a letter and phone call campaign to the Tahoe Forest Supervisor, Tom Quinn. Power to the people! Anyone have experience running a campaign like this? Or give a sh!t enough to do something about it?

By the way, Yuba will be open for the 2010 season starting April 26. We'll be offering up Santa Cruz and Ibis demos, along with shuttle service for the North Yuba Trail. Sweet! YubaExpeditions (530) 289 3010

·
ROOOOOOOO
1,669 Posts
You can bring campers, I've seen them out there.

I'm down to get a N Yuba crew together one of the days. Town to Rocky rest and back - or will the Poison Oak be completely out of control?

Not gonna do the full ride from the top then out to RR on N Yuba, that was great last year, but a little too much.

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
moschika said:
cool. i just didn't see that option when looking to reserve a spot. but i can take one, i'll get my spot soon here.
Eric,the nice thing about this campground is that it was designed for equestrian use. Hence the name. All the campsites are designed to accomodate a horse trailer so an RV also fits fine. As well, there is a horse corral, which, when we arrive, becomes the infamous Beer Corral and Bike Rodeo. You have to experience it. Off the charts fun. Glad you can make it! It's gonna be a hoot.

1 - 20 of 280 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.