Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've wanted to get over to Mt. Moriah about 30 miles due east of here for some time now but due to the fact that the peak and all the good singletrack is in wilderness I've put it off for... well, all my life. But with a beautiful summer day, the family out of town, and nothing on the agenda (I guess I coulda worked in the yard :rolleyes:) I mapped a route up the 4WD FS road to the trailhead at Big Canyon and the wilderness boundary with a plan to hike up to The Table (a beautifull sub-alpine plateau at 10,500') if I was still feeling spunky enough.

You start in the desert and end up in the pines. I love the basin and range wide open spaces of Nevada. I left the car just after turning onto FS road 469 and started climbing.

And kept climbing. I brought the big bike because my beta led me to believe the road was for high clearance vehicles only and would be pretty rocky. (I was thinking about the fast bombing descent. :thumbsup: )

Looking back down into Spring Valley and across to the Schell Creek range to the west.

Starting to get a little elevation now.

A little more elevation and the first bits of color. It's hard to tell from these photos but this 469 is a steep bugger. The ranger I met on the way up told me between 12-18% grade over the first six miles to the ridge. I believe it. I was sporting a 26T "small" ring up front which wasn't all that bright a decision in retrospect. I'd've given my last child for a 20T granny in a few places on that climb. Oh, and the road bed was smooth as a baby's bottom mostly so the HH100x would've done nicely. Oh well. At least it was making me stronger, right?

Ah, the 469 is my friend. At least now that I'm up on the ridge.

Still some drifts up here. Not sure of the elevation up on this wide meandering ridge line but I'm guessing around 9000'.

Finally the object of my design is in sight. Mt. Moriah.

Wheeler Peak in Great Basin National Park in the background..... my 6.6 in the fore.:thumbsup:

Moriah getting closer. Where's my road bike when I need it? Sheesh.

Finally the Big Canyon trailhead and (sadly) the wilderness boundary.

So I sat down and had some lunch while I pondered my options. Yes, I made pizza the night before and, yes, it tasted really good.

I was tempted to poach a bit of singletrack but, alas, I did not. The proximity of the ranger and the fact that I had talked to him and he knew me combined with that fact that a group of California tree-huggers were just behind me with backpacks, not to mention I was too tanked to do any more bike climbing, helped nudge my conscience in the right direction. So I left my trusty steed laying on the ground and hiked for a bit.

Trapsing through big piles of horse manure and a trail bed that was starting to get over grown with grass and that looked to me like it was in sore need of some nice rolling knobbies to stave off the vegetation, pack it down, and smooth it out a bit. That's just me though.:rolleyes: Sigh. I have no idea why bikes aren't allowed in wilderness.. at least in the remote areas of Nevada where the trails could probably use a little traffic.

Who says we don't have any trees in Nevada? Isn't he cute? I could just give him a big ol' hug.:thumbsup:

Hey look. Something completely different. A timer shot from KRob. Not sure I'll do it again (I'm more of a singletrack snob than a ride-a-dirt-road-and-explore kinda guy) but this ride was really worth the effort and the climbing and the scenery were rewarding. So I've been to Mt. Moriah now. Sort of. Oh, and the bomb back down to the car was fast and furious. I'm glad I had the big bike with it's bigger hydraulic brakes. 3.5 hours up....about 45 minutes down.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
beagledadi said:
..... looks like a fun ride. I love fire roads!! You need to get a GPS unit, Edge 305/705 and start logging/mapping your rides....I think you would enjoy it....AAHHH Ely.....
Yeah.... nothing but dirt roads and quadtrack in Ely.:thumbsup:

You know my wife got me a Garmin eTrex Vista for Christmas and I just haven't been smart/patient/motivated enough to get it set up so I can use it as a bike computer. I rode with a guy in Grand Junction with one just like mine and he had a sreen set up with average speed, mileage, elevation gain,and max speed (I think). I was thinking it would've been nice to have it for that ride.

When you guys coming up, Matt?

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
brado1 said:
good stuff, but shouldn't this be in the Vacation Forum? :p
LOL. Doood. This is my backyard (even if I've never been there before).

Maybe if I add a car photo from another "road ride" they'll move it to the Car and Biker forum though.:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.