Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 29"er Demo Thread..got a loaner?

[Edit Cloxxki] : Can't find a ride in your region? Feel free to open a new thread for it, don't be shy!
[/edit Cloxxki]

I see a lot of "I can't find a 29"er to demo. My LBS doesn't stock one."

If you have a 29"er THAT YOU'D LOAN TO SOMEONE FOR A DEMO:

1) What is it?

2) What size is it? (Top Tube / Seat Tube)

3) Where is it? (City/State or Country)

I've got an Airborne B-29 and Titus RX

Both w/ 25" TT and 21"/22" ST respectively

Charlottesville, VA

Condition: You break it, you bought it, so I'll hold your car / platinum card hostage :)

·
This place needs an enema
16,323 Posts
Yup

That doesn't happen around here, despite the fact that only one of the eight shops in the valley stocks 29"ers. The reason? So many folks have ridden my bikes and then bought their own, and then let others demo theirs, that it keeps perpetuating itself.

That said, in my circle of friends (all of whom would gladly loan their bike out to a respectful, responsible person) there are:
2 18" Leviathan's
1 18" Titus Racer X
3 18" Airborne Dreadnought Single Speeds (2 rigid fork, 1 suspended)
2 16" Airborne Dreadnought Single Speeds (1 rigid, 1 suspended)
2 16" Airborne B-29 geared bikes
1 18" Moots Mooto-X YBB
1 16" Strong geared w/Action-Tec fork
1 18" Ti Willits w/Action-Tec fork
1 19" Strong SS with Marz fork
1 18" Willits rigid SS
1 18" Slingshot Big Shot
1 Med Fisher Mt Tam

Also, I left my Mooto (with WB BW.8, Zipp wheels, and more ti than you could shake a dead rat at) in Anchorage for the local crowd to try out. It's been sitting in Pat's bike shop for two weeks, and no one's ridden it yet. Kinda strange, I think. If no one rides it by this weekend, I'm gonna have Pat ship it back, cuz there are lots of people around here that would love to ride it...

MC

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts

BIkes: Ti Strong SS, 23.75 ETT rigid
Fisher 292, marz mara, medium frame
Surly Karate Monkey, SS, medium
Steel Strong, rigid, gears
Surly Karate Monkey,SS, medium, marz mx pro

That's all. If you're in the SoCal area and are seriously interested in trying one of these out, let me know.

Brian

·
Registered
172 Posts
mikesee said:
Also, I left my Mooto (with WB BW.8, Zipp wheels, and more ti than you could shake a dead rat at) in Anchorage for the local crowd to try out. It's been sitting in Pat's bike shop for two weeks, and no one's ridden it yet. Kinda strange, I think. If no one rides it by this weekend, I'm gonna have Pat ship it back, cuz there are lots of people around here that would love to ride it...
MC
Hi Mike, thanks for the offer!
I'd like to test ride the Mooto please,..
I'll give Pat's a call.

~Chris

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
20" Mooto X YBB w/24.25" ETT

Free to borrow, leave me your spouse and first born, drvr's license, and platinum card.

Fayetteville, Arkansas

Oh, LBS has a Medium Sugar 293 demo...479.582.2001, probably sell it cheap too....

Spam Police: This is not SPAM...

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
The Netherlands.
XL Surly Karate Monkey rigid singlespeed (could be suspended), 633mm ETT
XL Fisher hardtail, 647mm ETT

I know there's a few Fisher L hardtails out there, many shops have them in stock or as test bike. Some have the full suspensions as well, most often L or M.

I'll go on the ride with the person borrowing.

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
If it makes you feel better I have gone into Pat's to gaze longingly at your Mooto and all that ti, and carbon fiber (dead rats run for fear of being shook). Been buried in work trying to dig my way out. Appreciate your offer and the fact that you left the bike here for us. I will ride it before the weekend.

Also for folks in Anchorage I'll add a medium B-29 to the list and in the future (any day now or so I've been told by Fisher since May) a '04 Sugar 29er. When the Sugar arrives I'll pass it around to Anchorage folks to see what people think.

Adam

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
ncj01 said:
20" Mooto X YBB w/24.25" ETT

Free to borrow, leave me your spouse and first born, drvr's license, and platinum card.

Fayetteville, Arkansas

Oh, LBS has a Medium Sugar 293 demo...479.582.2001, probably sell it cheap too....

Spam Police: This is not SPAM...
I think we sold it, or so i was told because i threw a new rear der. on it yesterday. Man i can't wait for my The Rig.......

-TS

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Fattirewilly said:
So I see a lot of "I can't find a 29"er to demo. My LBS doesn't stock one."

1) What is it?

Campstove 2003 Green Surly Karate Monkey (rigid and geared with SRAM X.0 and Avid discs); 2004 Red/Silver Sugar 293 (Marzocchi and Fox suspended, geared with SRAM X.9 and Avid discs)

2) What size is it? (Top Tube / Seat Tube)

Both are the XL frame sizes. Surly and Fisher exact specs available at their sites.

3) Where is it? (City/State or Country)

Just outside of Des Moines, Iowa which is in the USA. Testing/demo area 5 miles away with about 10 miles of trails to try out the 29"er experience.

4) Conditions?

No first borns, no wife on deposit, no platinum cards required. Just a nice cold beer is all that is required... ;-)

Contact me through the Mtbr.com email system or on this 29inch wheeled bikes forum.

BB

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Anyone visiting the Crested Butte, CO. area should not have any trouble finding a 29"er to try out. They even rent them at the Alpineer. Just make yourself known.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Fattirewilly said:
So I see a lot of "I can't find a 29"er to demo. My LBS doesn't stock one."

1) Gary Fisher Supercal 2002 model
2) Medium frame - see gfbikes.com archives for specs
3) Fishers (Indianapolis), Indiana

Conditions - after being outsourced this spring, A JOB!!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
a mixed pair of Fishers in Indy

I've got a '03 Gary Fisher XL MT Tam w/XT & XTR & Avid Mechs, (21"st 25.5"tt)

and Gary Fisher Supercal29 size L frame with a mix of components.(19"st 24.7"tt)

I am located in Indianapolis, Indiana, so if you want to try one of these out, let me know and we'll ride with biker_myers at TRTP.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
There are always a bunch here...

..but only 2 are consistently available.

-WW El Jefe Single - 25" ETT, 18" ST C-C. Variety of prototype rigid forks, depending on the day, and probably best for riders under 180 pounds. Sorry, I'm skinny!

-WW El Jefe geared rig - 23" ETT, 15.5" ST C-C. Sarah's bike. Running a KM fork right now, probably will have a custom fork within the next 2 weeks.

I'm in Boulder, Colorado. My email's in the .sig.

-Walt

·
Registered
50 Posts
Karate Monkey rigid singlespeed with Jeff Jones H-bars, large

Asylum Renasci with 5th Element, XTR dual control shifters/discs, and WB 0.8

Located in Socorro, NM but will be in Albuquerque or Santa Fe on some weekends. Let me know.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Kentuckian here

Large KM, WB BW .8, SS, Jones H-Bar, 180mm crank arms, Bontrager Jones ACX tires

Louisville, KY

Would go be glad to go for a ride with anyone who respects the bike.

Scheller's on Preston Hwy here in Louisville usually stock 1 or 2 Fishers.

703 Posts
Traverse City or Lansing Michigan

Lots to choose from:

XL Sugar 293 Full Suspension
XL Supercaliber Hardtail
XL Rigid Single Speed Karate Monkey (The Infamous Orange One)
XL Rigid Geared Karate Monkey (Greeny)
L Rigid Single Speed Karate Monkey (Black)

Every bike I own is for sale, for the right price. Except maybe the XL Supercal - dare I say no price is enough?

Near Traverse City, but I work sometimes in Lansing, Michigan, so I could have one available either spot.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
I'll be glad to lend mine out as well.

Hunter EBB/ss/1x8. WB CX-1 24" tt, 19"st. All you have to do is let me come along on the ride!

Live in Viroqua WI, near LaCrosse, but will also travel to Levis/Trow mound or Blue Mound near Madison. Gimme an email or pm trough the site.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.