Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to say this is one of the few things that I found to be instant in performance/noticeability on technical single track.

My first time on a 29er I thought...oh ok, yeah it's faster. Then a few weeks later I was dialed in and able to roll over stuff easily, but the nimble feeling I had from smaller tires was obviously not the same.

My first time on a full suspension bike?? I'd rank this pretty high on my instant noticeability list, but I wasn't instantly blown away.

First time using a Pike vs whatever fork I had previously...man that took me some time to understand why I spent so much on a fork. That thing had to be pushed for me to really feel the benefits.

First time on a 27.5 bike? I liked it, not as fast as the 29er...could still roll over stuff...handled the switch backs better.

But the first time on a 27.5 plus?? Instant noticeability. It was like someone added an easy button. Climb easily up stuff I'd struggled with before. Roll over stuff with ease. The traction? Unbelievable. And that plus size has helped in those spots where there's a rock or root that you aren't quite ready for and probably should avoid. I love the thing.

I know it's hard to keep up with all the latest gimmicks/trends/advancements/improvements, but this one I think is legit. If this is a fad, it's only because people think it makes riding too easy. Makes me wonder what they'll come up with next.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
So what bike did you ride? Was it a demo or did you bite the bullet and purchase something? In the past I've also had very similar reactions and observations to you.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I purchased the Tallboy plus after I demo'd it. I have somewhere around 100 miles on it since. My previous bike was the 5010. It's in the shop right now getting the cables adjusted. They were putting together a Hightower plus when I was there...nice looking bike.

·
Lone Wolf
1,790 Posts
Your experience Op,
word for word described my experience in switching to a plus bike.
I must add, the plus tires let me get back on a Hard Tail. without the HT beating.

"It was like someone added an easy button.
Climb easily up stuff I'd struggled with before.
Roll over stuff with ease.
The traction? Unbelievable. "

My plus bike Is slack IMO at 66.5 degree's on the head tube angle.
It's fun to go down the steep stuff again.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Ditto on the 27.5+ experience. I went from an excellent RIP9 to en even more excellent Salsa Pony Rustler. My old bones love the cush and control that big baloney-size air pillows offer. Just before reading this post I read Grannygear's 6Fattie "planB" wrap-up on twentynineinches.com. He talks about game changers in bike design akin to your aha moments: His are 1)Suspension 2)29er tires and wheels 3) Plus size tires and wheels.

·
chasing simplicity
1,308 Posts
Just this week on my Open Cycle OPEN+ I swapped my 29er race wheelset (Nox Skylines w Spesh Renegades) for my brand new 27.5+ wheelset (Nextie 39mm internal, Spesh Purgatory 3.0). Both wheelsets have identical boost hubs (i9) and rotors. It's a 3 minute swap with no adjustment at all.

Took it out on a frequent lunchtime loop of 10 miles that features 3 sketchy tech climbs and some fun techy downs.

Three things became apparent:

1. Tire pressure is critical. At 15 lbs I was sorta bouncing. I dabbed the tech climb. Took my gauge out and dropped 4 lbs. At 12 lbs everything clicked and I cleared that and the next 2 tech climbs, which I generally dab.

2. Going down felt almost like I had suspension. Way more comfortable. Found myself seeking out stuff to roll over instead of picking a special line.

3. The extra 3 lbs of pure rolling weight will be an excellent training tool. In the 29er config the bike weighs 17.8 lbs. in the 27.5+ config it's 21 lbs, and all of that weight is rolling.

I thought I'd get some pedal strikes but I didn't. When I got home I measured bb height in both config and they were nearly the same, a few mms apart. I guess 29x2 and 27.5x3 are closer than I thought, and least in my case.

It was my first time out, but the experience was awesome...I now have a one bike quiver. I can carry whatever wheelset isn't on the bike with me to the trail, and decide in the moment what I want to do.

Great experience...I think I'll find myself leaning toward the plus config as the go-to for everyday trail riding!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I
Your experience Op,
word for word described my experience in switching to a plus bike.
I must add, the plus tires let me get back on a Hard Tail. without the HT beating.

"It was like someone added an easy button.
Climb easily up stuff I'd struggled with before.
Roll over stuff with ease.
The traction? Unbelievable. "

My plus bike Is slack IMO at 66.5 degree's on the head tube angle.
It's fun to go down the steep stuff again.
What kind of bike do you have? I only bought this TB3 plus because they were having a Black Friday sale at my local shop and it turned out to be only a few hundred more than another bike I was looking at.

My experience with Santa Cruz bikes is that the pivots can't take a pounding. My 5010 needed a pivot kit, bearings, etc...plus an entire new rear triangle after 9 months. Santa Cruz did come through and warrantied the triangle.

Honestly if I had seen a decent plus hard tail that day I would have seriously considered it...less maintenance, less fuss...just throw your leg over it and ride.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just this week on my Open Cycle OPEN+ I swapped my 29er race wheelset (Nox Skylines w Spesh Renegades) for my brand new 27.5+ wheelset (Nextie 39mm internal, Spesh Purgatory 3.0). Both wheelsets have identical boost hubs (i9) and rotors. It's a 3 minute swap with no adjustment at all.

Took it out on a frequent lunchtime loop of 10 miles that features 3 sketchy tech climbs and some fun techy downs.

Three things became apparent:

1. Tire pressure is critical. At 15 lbs I was sorta bouncing. I dabbed the tech climb. Took my gauge out and dropped 4 lbs. At 12 lbs everything clicked and I cleared that and the next 2 tech climbs, which I generally dab.

2. Going down felt almost like I had suspension. Way more comfortable. Found myself seeking out stuff to roll over instead of picking a special line.

3. The extra 3 lbs of pure rolling weight will be an excellent training tool. In the 29er config the bike weighs 17.8 lbs. in the 27.5+ config it's 21 lbs, and all of that weight is rolling.

I thought I'd get some pedal strikes but I didn't. When I got home I measured bb height in both config and they were nearly the same, a few mms apart. I guess 29x2 and 27.5x3 are closer than I thought, and least in my case.

It was my first time out, but the experience was awesome...I now have a one bike quiver. I can carry whatever wheelset isn't on the bike with me to the trail, and decide in the moment what I want to do.

Great experience...I think I'll find myself leaning toward the plus config as the go-to for everyday trail riding!
That's pretty awesome! You're running some low pressures, I can't get away with that because I weigh 240 pounds and let's just say...rims don't respond to well with my fat rear. I'm running 22 pounds in the back and 18 in the front. I'll probably play around with that some when the trails are free of snow in the spring...and I usually drop 15 pounds between now and then anyway.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Anyone see this Rocky Mountain fat bike (suzi q) with27.5 x 3.8" tires? Geez is that just like a plus bike? How would it ride in the summertime?

·
RAKC
7,602 Posts
Um fat bikes used to come mostly with 3.8-4" tires. Just because it says 27.5 and not 26 doesn't mean anything.

To answer your question, It will ride like a fat bike on 3.8" tires

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
424 Posts
Um fat bikes used to come mostly with 3.8-4" tires. Just because it says 27.5 and not 26 doesn't mean anything.

To answer your question, It will ride like a fat bike on 3.8" tires

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Thanks. What do you think about the Panaracer 27.5 x 3.5 tires on the Growler Mudwasp plus bike? Confuses me even more. Would they be as nimble as 3.0s or close to it?

·
chasing simplicity
1,308 Posts
That's pretty awesome! You're running some low pressures, I can't get away with that because I weigh 240 pounds and let's just say...rims don't respond to well with my fat rear. I'm running 22 pounds in the back and 18 in the front. I'll probably play around with that some when the trails are free of snow in the spring...and I usually drop 15 pounds between now and then anyway.
Yeh I'm 170 fully loaded.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What rim/tire sizes? Types of trails/terrain?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maxxis Recon 27.5x2.80

I'll use them until they wear out, then I'll get something a little wider.

The terrain I'm riding on is New England single track...lots of rocks, roots, and slippery stuff. Technical climbs with a lot of dangerous declines. I don't go very fast, these trails for the most part don't allow you to, but once in a while I'll find a clean stretch and open it up.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone see this Rocky Mountain fat bike (suzi q) with27.5 x 3.8" tires? Geez is that just like a plus bike? How would it ride in the summertime?
I run into people that swear fat bikes is all they'll ride anymore. Personally they're a little too bouncy for me, but you do get used to it like anything else. Ran into a guy last week who actually works at a downhill park and uses his fat bike for downhill...no shock in the front either. He swears by it. This guy gives lessons on downhill riding and he rides a fat bike...thought that was pretty cool.

·
Registered
593 Posts
But the first time on a 27.5 plus?? Instant noticeability. It was like someone added an easy button. Climb easily up stuff I'd struggled with before. Roll over stuff with ease. The traction? Unbelievable. And that plus size has helped in those spots where there's a rock or root that you aren't quite ready for and probably should avoid. I love the thing.
Now try a 29+ bike you're in for a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My mountain biking went into another realm going to my new 27.5+ 3" tires from a 29er. I weight approx 233lbs and have 14psi in both front and rear tires and it's dead on where I need to be. Last weekend I saw my first 29+ bike and it looked HUGE in person.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just saw a 29er plus for the first time today...Hightower 29 plus I think...pretty awesome looking bike. I didn't even realize the 29 came in plus size. It must be able to roll over anything. Wow.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just saw a 29er plus for the first time today...Hightower 29 plus I think...pretty awesome looking bike. I didn't even realize the 29 came in plus size. It must be able to roll over anything. Wow.
Are you sure the S.C. Hightower that you saw was a 29er PLUS? AFAIK it is offered built around either regular 29 or 27.5 PLUS wheels. Sometimes 27.5+ can indeed look big to the naked eye.

29+ excels on flow (mostly straight) and rocky singletrack. And yes, it will roll fantastically over anything even without a rear suspension. Think somewhat along the lines of fast traditional downhill without major jumps. But get into tight, technical, slower switchbacks and frustration will set in with those really tall wheels and longer wheelbase. It's just the nature of the beast. There is a reason why Santa Cruz and many other manufacturers are sticking with 27.5+ on their full suspension bikes (e.g., the Hightower and the Tallboy) to keep things more nimble.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts