Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is looking pretty good. Better than previous years and it's almost September with the temps starting to lower.

It doesn't hurt that there's the higher elevations are just starting to clear of snow and many creeks are still flowing well.

There have been a few grass fires here in the Bay Area but really just look like healthy burns with low fuel and little wind.

It's far from over of course. The key is the WIND or lack of.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Yeah, not too sure about that analysis. Up here (Tahoe Basin) we're just entering the dangerous part of the year: when everything has had a chance to spend the whole summer drying out, and the winds are starting to pick up. Of course happy so far that it's been a quiet year, but there's still a lot of hot, dry, windy days to go :(

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Ya unfortunately I think there will be plenty of new fuel before we get more rain in socal. Remember the Thomas Fire started in December and lasted a month. I was evacuated for much of that. Those same hills were incredibly green and lush this summer, but have recently all turned brown and have dried out. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

It's been a rough summer for trail riding actually. All the rain in fire swept areas caused a ton of erosion then like a boom every trail became so overgrown almost overnight. Many formerly great trails are unrideable now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
This next week will be dicey as the remnant of the tropical storm Ivo will be coming in. There is dry lightening in the forecast for much of northern California.
With no rain for months and tons of dry vegetation, I'm very worried. Praying for the best.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
loopy counter
872 Posts
In my neck of the woods, there has been heavy forestry activity to decrease the fuel supply. A forester told me that there was some grant expiring this year so work has been brisk. And it shows, there are huge slash piles. The usfs took the challenge by spraying roundup on square miles to abate bear clover, which I find worrying for anyone who consumes venison.

This effects us mtbrs in a few ways. Access roads that were pleasant double track are like moondust, heavy equipment tends to do that. And come winter there will be poor air quality from all those slash burns.

But it can make pretty pictures:
Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Fire Bicycle Flame

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya unfortunately I think there will be plenty of new fuel before we get more rain in socal. Remember the Thomas Fire started in December and lasted a month. I was evacuated for much of that. Those same hills were incredibly green and lush this summer, but have recently all turned brown and have dried out. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

It's been a rough summer for trail riding actually. All the rain in fire swept areas caused a ton of erosion then like a boom every trail became so overgrown almost overnight. Many formerly great trails are unrideable now.
Overgrown and hundreds of trees down in most networks. Incredible really

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This next week will be dicey as the remnant of the tropical storm Ivo will be coming in. There is dry lightening in the forecast for much of northern California.
With no rain for months and tons of dry vegetation, I'm very worried. Praying for the best.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Wind and lightning. #menace

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my neck of the woods, there has been heavy forestry activity to decrease the fuel supply. A forester told me that there was some grant expiring this year so work has been brisk. And it shows, there are huge slash piles. The usfs took the challenge by spraying roundup on square miles to abate bear clover, which I find worrying for anyone who consumes venison.

This effects us mtbrs in a few ways. Access roads that were pleasant double track are like moondust, heavy equipment tends to do that. And come winter there will be poor air quality from all those slash burns.

But it can make pretty pictures:
View attachment 1274777
True true! More crews are the norm I see. And when they're not in emergencies, they're out doing huge maintenance jobs

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Overgrown and hundreds of trees down in most networks. Incredible really
- I look at it as opportunity to reach out to local land managers and GIVE BACK via volunteer trail maintenance.

THAT is what we all need to do more of if we want more access IMO.
Go work on stuff that's NOT available to legally ride too, it shows we care and are willing to put in work while other user groups tend not to. :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.