Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
221 - 240 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I feel inadequate posting in some of this company, but I do love this crazy bike. There are lots of mods I'd still like to do, like upgrading to some better wheels, updating the brakes to some hydros, and adding a better rear hub. Still, it is a really fun bike that I'm beyond happy with. The Origin 8 Dropper is now gone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Very nice! Been looking at the Trek Stache 5. Good deal at $1,675, but it has an aluminum fork. How does the steel fork ride? Do you have a weight for it?
Steel rides nice and really like the precise handling, not missing suspension so far unless speed & bumps get crazy at the same time. Only thing I ever weighed alone was the back wheel(6#), total bike weight though right at about 30# on the nose, without any carbon or really lightweight Al stuff, so there's lightening possible.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
My bike the morning after completing this years Arizona Trail Race, the 300 mile version. My first ever single speed race. Yeah I stretched the chain a bit ;)
Congrats, great achievement there! Tell me about that little seatbag harness thing you are running, homemade? Maybe you described it somewhere already and I missed it?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Congrats, great achievement there! Tell me about that little seatbag harness thing you are running, homemade? Maybe you described it somewhere already and I missed it?
Thanks!
Both the frame bag and seat bag are home made utilizing 1.43oz cuben fiber from Z-packs as the main material. The seat bag is my own design and was designed so that I can run it with my dropper post to maximum drop without any issues. It's meant to hold clothes/layers or other compressibles like a sleeping bag/quilt which help give the bag shape. Harder objects would be less than ideal in the pack, jostling and ratting around especially with the up and down of the post. It weighs in at 76g.
For this race it held my puffy jacket and knee warmers. It's seen action in the Chilcotins and on last years Colorado Trail Race. I'm really happy with how it has performed.

221 - 240 of 394 Posts