Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a friendly PSA

At least here on the East Coast the 2012 Jamis 650b Hardtails have hit shops!!

Storrs Cycle Center in beautiful Storrs, CT was busy building up both Dragon 650b and Nemesis 650b models yesterday. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I may try and take a road trip to have a look, take a spin and snap some pics! Stay tuned.

Mark

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took a test ride today (Parking Lot Style). The Dragon650 is a nicely executed 650b trail bike. The paint is very sharp - a metallic Shamrock green - nice choice.

Overall it came in at around 27 pounds or so (I think there's a bit of weight in the crankset, the tires (maybe) and the stem, seatpost, and handlebars. Overall though not a bad parts spec by Jamis.

Stay tuned for a more thorough demo/review over at 650bpalace.com as I'll be getting a demo bike to ride and review sometime next week.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Funny, I just recommended this bike to a local person interested in 650b and here they are! That's a handsome bike fer sure. I was thinking if you knocked the travel down to 100mm or so, you'd have a racier geometry, similar to their aluminum model. The Loop is internally adjustable as I recall. I'd lose the Kendas, too--a bit heavy duty for what I'd want that bike for. Wolverines or Quasi's would be just the ticket!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I live in the NE as well (the City with the college that just dumped the Big East and will be playing the Huskies in hoops on ESPN Game Day in Feb.).

We have only one Jamis dealer in town, whose opinion of 650b is that it is a 29'er for women and children quote unquote. This is why I'm so pessimistic about the near term future of the wheel size. No just indifference, but disdain from a guy who makes his living selling bikes. Who knows how to ride bikes. The local BMX kid who became a mountain bike stud racing x-c, doing amateur trials, and not adverse to some downhill either. Then evolved into a roadie, and the whole time a damn good wrench at a LBS. And years later owner of his own shop that invested early in both 29'ers and, for another demographic, triathlon. Who supposedly knows what he's talking about.

I would go out on a limb and guess I have one of maybe a small handful of 650b's in the whole County, if not literally the only one. Most of the rest are 26'ers except for those who got into 29'ers early because they were good or later because they were beginners. I'm a Johnny come lately myself.

So maybe we are a backwoods town and deserve to get pummeled by the Huskies next winter.

·
Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
1,630 Posts
I live in the NE as well (the City with the college that just dumped the Big East and will be playing the Huskies in hoops on ESPN Game Day in Feb.).

We have only one Jamis dealer in town, whose opinion of 650b is that it is a 29'er for women and children quote unquote. This is why I'm so pessimistic about the near term future of the wheel size. No just indifference, but disdain from a guy who makes his living selling bikes. Who knows how to ride bikes. The local BMX kid who became a mountain bike stud racing x-c, doing amateur trials, and not adverse to some downhill either. Then evolved into a roadie, and the whole time a damn good wrench at a LBS. And years later owner of his own shop that invested early in both 29'ers and, for another demographic, triathlon. Who supposedly knows what he's talking about.

I would go out on a limb and guess I have one of maybe a small handful of 650b's in the whole County, if not literally the only one. Most of the rest are 26'ers except for those who got into 29'ers early because they were good or later because they were beginners. I'm a Johnny come lately myself.

So maybe we are a backwoods town and deserve to get pummeled by the Huskies next winter.
Don't take it so hard... The Huskies pummel everybody! ;)

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: I spent 2.5 hours on the Dragon 650 today - thanks to Aaron at Storr's Cycle Center for letting me take out the shop demo bike - and I came away really impressed.

Geometry on the Dragon - I rode a 17" - is great for trail riding, frame gave me that great feel of steel - and the White Brothers Loop fork performed awesomely right out of the box!

Look for a more detailed report (with lots o pics) at 650bpalace.com sometime soon.

·
aka: SpeedyChix
306 Posts
Update: I spent 2.5 hours on the Dragon 650 today - thanks to Aaron at Storr's Cycle Center for letting me take out the shop demo bike - and I came away really impressed.

Geometry on the Dragon - I rode a 17" - is great for trail riding, frame gave me that great feel of steel - and the White Brothers Loop fork performed awesomely right out of the box!

Look for a more detailed report (with lots o pics) at 650bpalace.com sometime soon.
All sounding good!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.