Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a snippet from VooDoo's official announcement:

"The frame is a Reynolds 631 steel hardtail 29er designed for a 100-125mm travel fork. It will also fit any 490-510MM long rigid fork. Other features are: cable guides routed under top tube, VooDoo adjustable sliding dropouts, and a new down tube gusset. "

It will replace the Dambala in the VooDoo lineup. Color scheme looks interesting with the bone white frame with red panels, and human spine graphics.

Geo numbers match up with the Dambala, so ride quality should be the same.

Soukri means Sacred Temple, by the way.

Attachments

·
Expert Crasher
6,356 Posts
Looks nice. I don't think there are a lot of 490mm rigid forks around now that Niner has gone to 470. Maybe Singular - theirs is long but I don't know AtoC.

FWIW - I had a Niner 490mm fork and it was nice.

·
And He was Not
1,682 Posts
Soul Cycle makes a 485 A-C. There seems to be more 100mm hardtail frames coming to market, so we might be seeing more 100mm corrected rigid forks.

FWIW I always thought the Niner 490mm fork had a exceptional ride quality also.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
So......let me get this straight: They are going for a longer travel hardtail (100-125mm travel fork) and 72 degree head angles?

Seems that something meant for such a long fork would be better off with a 70-71 degree head angle, given that running a 120mm fork would indicate more severe terrain type use.

Maybe I'm missing something?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
So......let me get this straight: They are going for a longer travel hardtail (100-125mm travel fork) and 72 degree head angles?

Seems that something meant for such a long fork would be better off with a 70-71 degree head angle, given that running a 120mm fork would indicate more severe terrain type use.

The thing you are missing is variety. Why should every bike have the same geometry? Just cause it can take a 100 to 120 fork doesn't mean that every bike in that range is going to be doing severe terrain all the time. What goes down must go up. Some people like slack head tubes and some like steeper ones.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
richwolf said:
The thing you are missing is variety. Why should every bike have the same geometry? Just cause it can take a 100 to 120 fork doesn't mean that every bike in that range is going to be doing severe terrain all the time. What goes down must go up. Some people like slack head tubes and some like steeper ones.
I think you are missing something too. The issue with a steep head angle on a longer travel frame is about more than just preference for slackness. Even if you aren't bombing down rough trails, wouldn't you tune the fork to use most of the travel? When a fork is at the bottom of its travel the head angle is steepened, making the steering twitchier at what really could be the worst time. With a longer travel fork the head angle can really steepen, so head angles are usually slacked out appropriately to compensate and keep the bike from being squirrely on impacts. It looks like this bike would have almost a 75deg head angle at full travel on the XL, but I'm just guessing. Also, 20% sag on a longer fork will sit lower in the travel, so you are already steeping the HA more right from the start.

There's no reason anyone can't voice their criticisms. I have no problem with them making a bike like that even if I wouldn't want it. I think this bike could be really cool, but the HA jumped out at me too when I saw that post

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I like how Voodoo has lots of sizes in the core of the market: 16", 17", 18", and 19". Most makers are just every two inches.

This doesn't really help me, as I would ride the 21", but it's still a nice move.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Guitar Ted said:

Perhaps 72 degree HT is for 100 mm fork travel. If you put a 125 mm fork you've got less than 71 degree (betwen 70 and 71).

So Voodoo geometry is in the place and you too ;)

·
Registered
997 Posts
boomn said:
I think you are missing something too. The issue with a steep head angle on a longer travel frame is about more than just preference for slackness. Even if you aren't bombing down rough trails, wouldn't you tune the fork to use most of the travel? When a fork is at the bottom of its travel the head angle is steepened, making the steering twitchier at what really could be the worst time. With a longer travel fork the head angle can really steepen, so head angles are usually slacked out appropriately to compensate and keep the bike from being squirrely on impacts. It looks like this bike would have almost a 75deg head angle at full travel on the XL, but I'm just guessing. Also, 20% sag on a longer fork will sit lower in the travel, so you are already steeping the HA more right from the start.

There's no reason anyone can't voice their criticisms. I have no problem with them making a bike like that even if I wouldn't want it. I think this bike could be really cool, but the HA jumped out at me too when I saw that post
hey guys. we are talking about just 20mm more travel. to my knowledge the angles are measured with 15% or 20% sag included.

also, i like it how voodoo is using different angle based on frame size - 71-72.5 degrees.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Tbow said:
Perhaps 72 degree HT is for 100 mm fork travel. If you put a 125 mm fork you've got less than 71 degree (betwen 70 and 71).

So Voodoo geometry is in the place and you too ;)
Agu said the geo numbers are the same as for the dambala, so this is indeed correct :) (As the dambala's #'s are for a 100mm fork.)

This is neat! It looks pretty similar to the dambala frame, I wonder how the DT gusset is different.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
hellocook said:
hey guys. we are talking about just 20mm more travel. to my knowledge the angles are measured with 15% or 20% sag included.

also, i like it how voodoo is using different angle based on frame size - 71-72.5 degrees.
geometry numbers are almost always without sag, and if they are with sag they really should state that.

I didn't realized these numbers are the same as the Dambala. Still seems too steep to me, but I guess it works for some.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hellocook said:
They've retained the same size-specific tubing diameters as the Dambala too.

·
Leg Shaver
563 Posts
agu said:
They've retained the same size-specific tubing diameters as the Dambala too.

yikes..same diameter down tube but adjusted for a 100-120 fork? yikes.....

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I have a Dambala. I have run it rigid, and with a Reba at both 80MM and 100mm. It is a great handling bike in all 3 configurations. I think there is a lot of e-hand wringing going on for no big reason.
My only complaint with the Dambala is foot strike. But I have a narrow crank and a 2.55 WTB tire up front.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Well, let's say for the sake of argument that VooDoo is basing this off of a 100mm travel fork. Fair enough. I will also assume, (because I haven't seen numbers to the contrary) that the Dambala hasn't changed in geometry since it was introduced. (Maybe somebody could ferret that out)

Assuming the above is true, one thing that has changed is fork offsets. 44-46mm is the rule anymore these days. If this new model runs a 72 degree head angle unsagged, and I get on it with proper sag set, I now have a steeper than 72 degree head angle rig. Being that suspension is dynamic, what boomn posted earlier certainly comes into play- That being that at the most critical moment- let's say going into a downhill pitch switchback, you will attain your steepest head angle and least amont of trail.

Now- I am not saying it won't be someones cup of tea. I am not saying it will be unrideable. What I am saying is that it doesn't seem too much like a rig a lot of people on these boards are gravitating towards. It just seems a bit odd at this point in time.

That's all I am saying.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
richwolf said:
I have a Dambala. I have run it rigid, and with a Reba at both 80MM and 100mm. It is a great handling bike in all 3 configurations. I think there is a lot of e-hand wringing going on for no big reason.
My only complaint with the Dambala is foot strike. But I have a narrow crank and a 2.55 WTB tire up front.
Yeah, for sure. I mean, it was built for a 100mm fork now, adding another 20mm onto that isn't wild and crazy. They probably just made it a little stronger in the HT for good measure.

Yeah, I like my dambala a lot too, fun bike!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts