Great race! I pushed my limits like never before. Definitely the hardest race that I have ever done, much harder than any of the solo 24's. Thanks Eric for putting this together, I had a great time!
Here are some race hightlights:
- 34 hours on the bike
- Total mileage: 150 miles (estimated; exact mileage unknown since I crashed duirng Stage 2 and reset my bike computer).
1. Final downhill on Cove Creek to finish the Stage 5 and the race
2. Descending the snow/ice covered Blue Ridge Parkway from Pisgah Inn to Bent Creek Gap at 2:30 am on Sunday in freezing cold
3. Riding to Wagon Creek Gap with Dave during Stage 4. When we got to the top, he says: "Let's pick up the pace" and before I knew it he was gone and all I could see was his red "blinkie"
4. Dropping 3 teams on the climb on 140A towards Butter Gap to finish stage 1 (yes, I finally passed someone while riding the bike)
5. Moon pies at Farlow Gap during Stage 1.
Stage 4, Sunday, 4:30 am: During the climb from North Mills River campground to Yellow Gap, I was completely exhausted (physically and mentally) and was considering pulling out my sleeping bag. I almost fell asleep pushing the bike, had to sit down and took a short nap. The rest is a blur -- I somehow made it back and finished the stage 5 hours later.