Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ooops! Started having a lockout issue with my Lefty DLR2 29er fork and decided to take the top of the fork apart. Similar to the simple bearing reset procedure. Done it a few times before without an issue. This time, I inserted the 1.5mm alleny key into the rebound knob and it almost instantly stripped. I'm sure I did not overtighten it the last time I installed it.

So now what?

Kind of laughing posting this because only dumb people screw up like this.

Suggestions? I'm sure people have done this before me.

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Fixin' shocks Day & Night
270 Posts
I have been through this very scenario with many forks... First buy a brand new 1.5 and try that. Because of the size 1.5's strip easily at the wrench though and not the bolt. If you are sure it is the bolt and you do not want to harm your lock-out lever there is one solution. Carefully drill out the bolt. I have also cut the top of the knob before to release pressure. An easy out may work, but I doubt it I have broken a few trying. Usually you have just drill the bolt out entirely. Good luck, and Be Patient... It will pay off when nothing else get damaged...

Tim

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I guess drilling is the only option. At least it is what appears to be soft aluminum.

Weird thing happened with my fork. Past few rides I have been getting an unsmooth feel in the lockout knob as I switched between on/off. The fork itself was still butter smooth. While riding this weekend, the fork quit locking out, still have a buttery smooth fork, just no lockout. I was in the process of taking the red rebound knob off when it stripped.

Any ideas on what it could be? Fork has alot of miles on it in the past year without a rebuild. 10k miles. Done a couple bearing resets but they were not needed. Rebound knob still modulates well, just the lockout is gone.

Ideas?

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
10k miles... You are due for a service/rebuild. My guess is the seal for the lock out circuit is shot so if oil can get through, it doesn't lock out. By the way, if you ride while locked out and hit something, jump, drop... the impact normally absorbed by the Lefty is pretty much all absorbed by the lock out seal, if it happens too often, it will kill that seal eventually...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts