Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Mi nombre es Austin
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to Hurricane Creek Park Saturday,
I can actually do at best a 8ft drop on this bike, when there isn't a decent landing it hurts but only for a second,

I'll post pics and vid of me doin the drops later after I get back
haha, yeah that's right, I do drops with 28mm stanctions and 100mm of travel

took me a year to save up for this thing,
and it'll take me 2.5 years to save up for a remedy 7:madman:
Trek 6000 series 2009,

Avid Juicy 3 front with 160mm g2 clean sweep rotor
avid speed dial lever on back
Pro-taper pillow top grips,
Specialized 75mm stem with bars (free from a friend)
FSA bash ring
x-5 med cage derailer

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Yeah the 6000 is a nice bike. I've got a 2008 myself. I can't say I've hit 8 ft jumps, but I've hit solid 5ft jumps on it. I just upgraded to a new fork this year, and trust me.... it's worth it. If you hit 8 ft jumps on that, you'll be hitting 20ft jumps on a nice fork :p

·
SS Pusher Man
7,621 Posts
Glad to see you bought the right rig for the kind of riding you are doing.

I can just see it:

6 months from now......"Trek sucks.....they won't warranty my frame. I was just riding along and the headtube broke off. I told Trek I wasn't jumping it or anything like that."

·
Mi nombre es Austin
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm gonna try to use this fork for as long as possible, I'm not trying to spend any money on my current bike so I can save it all, there is one exception, after doing some research I found the right tire for my needs, 2.35 kenda excavator, does anybody know if these 2.35 tires will fit my frame? not sure how much clearance I will need, in the summer it doesn't rain very often at all and by next fall they will be alittle worn allowing slightly more clearcance, any input would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
927 Posts
You are asking for trouble. That bike/fork/wheels is not meant for that kind of ABUSE. I hope WHEN it breaks you get told tough ****.

·
Mi nombre es Austin
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I am fully aware that I'm very heavily abusing this bike, and I assume all the risks of riding a bike meant for XC or trail on FR type obstacles, I inspect the frame and componentry before and after every ride and I have to pray the crown doesn't give way,

I have a bike and I ride the way I ride,
I understand and can feel the stress being put on my fork while I ride, and I'm conscious that it might fail
if the following is true and you aren't just speaking through your @$$
I hope WHEN it
breaks you get told tough ****
then your are not the kinda of person I want to meet at the trailhead,

thanks for the heads up Deerhill, I've been having some creeking lately and it isn't my stem, I'm gonna pull my fork out and have a look see to maybe find some sign of failure,

·
Mi nombre es Austin
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pics of the drops?
And I wouldn't even think about not bringing my full face helmet to HCP.
anything over 5ft and I go fullface, I'm not crazy or stupid, just daring,

I'm looking forward to the AL mountain games, it's near oneota right?

·
SS Pusher Man
7,621 Posts
Ummmmmm.......bigger tires isn't going to keep the frame/fork/wheels from failing. :thumbsup:

Good luck with it.......:rolleyes:

For what you spent on the 6000, you could have found a used AM bike that you could acutally ride/drop/jump. :madman:

·
Mi nombre es Austin
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know what I could have gotten, this was my first real mountain bike and I didn't know about all the new technology when I bought it, much less full suspension, I also didn't know what kind of riding I would feel comfortable, given that I have experience riding dirt bikes fast through trails, (enduro) I knew that I would want to get a better bike for my needs once I had tested the waters,

bigger tires aren't to cushion drops or to elongate the life of my bike as a whole, they are for grip silly, haha
what kind of person puts bigger tires on just for the cushion of it, Currently I'm making my bike more suitable for my kinda riding while I determine what kind of bike I would like to get, (and I'm pretty set on the remedy)

why do you insist on posting pointless comments, and why does your post show you being frustrated
haha,

I really need a better bike but I ain't made of money.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,621 Posts
nitropiro said:
I know what I could have gotten, this was my first real mountain bike and I didn't know about all the new technology when I bought it, much less full suspension, I also didn't know what kind of riding I would feel comfortable, given that I have experience riding dirt bikes fast through trails, (enduro) I knew that I would want to get a better bike for my needs once I had tested the waters,

bigger tires aren't to cushion drops or to elongate the life of my bike as a whole, they are for grip silly, haha
what kind of person puts bigger tires on just for the cushion of it, Currently I'm making my bike more suitable for my kinda riding while I determine what kind of bike I would like to get, (and I'm pretty set on the remedy)

why do you insist on posting pointless comments, and why does your post show you being frustrated haha,
I really need a better bike but I ain't made of money.
I have worked in a shop long enough to deal with guys like you. Guys that ride the equipment waaaayyyyyy beyond the intended use. Then having to deal with the constant questions as to why te wheeels won't stay true/destroyed, why the cranks are bent, why the fork feels like crap, why the frame is cracked......and why won't "X" manufacturer warranty the parts/frame.

That is why.

·
Registered
927 Posts
mtnbikej said:
I have worked in a shop long enough to deal with guys like you. Guys that ride the equipment waaaayyyyyy beyond the intended use. Then having to deal with the constant questions as to why te wheeels won't stay true/destroyed, why the cranks are bent, why the fork feels like crap, why the frame is cracked......and why won't "X" manufacturer warranty the parts/frame.

That is why.
Werd :thumbsup:

·
Mi nombre es Austin
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I bend a crank I'm not gonna romp into the bike shop and tell them it is defective, I don't see why I have to explain anything beyond this, it is pointless, the way I ride my bike I expect parts to bend,

·
Mi nombre es Austin
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IT IS my Bike and I DO what I want with Them, this is ridiculous, someone delete this thread please, it is full of pointless comments that don't matter

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
Eff all these people telling you how to ride your bike. Just ride and be happy. People huck way bigger stuff than what your doing with the same amount of suspension all the time. Yea, you're gonna break stuff cause that bike is not made as a dirt jumper but it sounds like you're willing to pay to play. Now let's see some action!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I personally don't care how you want to ride your bike, but if you are going to try 8ft. drops on a 6000 I have to see it. Your friends better have a camera and a phone with service. Can we expect pics by Monday if you are not in the hospital?:cornut:

1 - 20 of 121 Posts