Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been building a utility trailer out of a VW bug rear end for the last couple days and getting some serious welding time in. Yesterday I switched to goggles for temp reasons and today I look like a raccoon. :D Back to the mask tomorrow.

Anyway, on to the question...

ETR and I were wondering if anyone knew the answer to a elec question. I've done electrical work in the past and I know what needs to be done and how to do it, but having someone with more experience guiding or helping would be cool. The box is right there close to where the outlet will be, we just need to install a 220 breaker, short section of wiring to the outlet and the outlet itself. I've done more than my share of 110 wiring, but a breaker for the 220 requires some work around live stuff unless power to the building is shut off, which won't happen.

Any tips on doing it on the cheap/safe? DaveM???? Anyone? The cheaper it can be done, the more that can be spent on a TIG.

gigety gigety gigety

Attachments

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
Easy stuff...

Hey Jim, there has to be a main breaker on whatever panel you are putting the circuit on. If not, something's not kosher. I have tied into a live buss, but it's alittle tricky. Just use a well insulated driver to loosen/tighten the lug, and be very aware that you are NOT in contact with a good ground. Make sure the neutral leg goes to neutral buss, groung leg to ground buss (you should use a four wire 220V outlet). I could catch a ride with Kendra down to Boulder this week, if you need a hand. Just make sure that you have the right type of breaker (should have a GFI, if the outlet is in a garage/wet location, but I wouldn't sweat it) 'cause there are alot of different types.

Hmm, I might need to hire you to do some welding on my plow mount, I always wanted to learn to weld :cool:

So... is this a shuttle trailer (for Apex, of course ;) )?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts