Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one remember that plastic sheath used to protect frames from cables? I am building an old Zaskar and need this for the shift cables running along the down tube. Can't find it anywhere. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Yardsale02 said:
Does any one remember that plastic sheath used to protect frames from cables? I am building an old Zaskar and need this for the shift cables running along the down tube. Can't find it anywhere. Any suggestions??
You can go to any decent electronics store except an Italian owned one and ask for Spaghetti. It's the common name for plastic tubing used as insulation, or wire color coding. It comes in a variety of colors, and in vinyl, or heat shrink types.

If you can't find it, PM me, I have some charcoal gray housing liner which will do the trick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried an electronic store, but I'll try another.

The guys at the LBS said to remove the liner from shifter housing. The liner has a softer surface tension, but may work. The "little donuts" won't keep the cables from rubbing on each other.

Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
i've used radio control model car/airplane fuel hose from the local hobby shop. comes in different diameters and colors. soft and flexible. i used it on cables running along top tube.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Monte said:
long lengths of heat shrink tubing, thin wall, various sizes, 3' lengths if you find the right place to buy it. just don't heat it up.
Ditto,

If you can't find vinyl tubing, but heat shrink which comes in a large selection of diameters and colors. Type "heat shrink tubing" into any search engine and lots of sellers pop up.

You can use it un-shrunk as Monte suggested, or can shrink it onto the wire, which will look better. Just remember to leave some uncovered wire at each end to allow for the travel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.