Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
There’s always going to be someone faster than you and my ego isn’t threatened too easily. There’s nothing more douchey than an old guy acting like he’s a badass on the trail so I don’t get all aggro.
Oh yeah, me too! My ego is so strong and I'm sooo mature that I never get pulled into an infantile game of one-upsmanship!
:D

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
There’s always going to be someone faster than you and my ego isn’t threatened too easily. There’s nothing more douchey than an old guy acting like he’s a badass on the trail so I don’t get all aggro.
This^^^. The know-it-all dbag older dude is annoying. It is nice however, getting cred, from the younger riders on strava segments. It helps with the gnar-bros who think that because I help maintain trails that it's not to dumb them down to old man ability. Or for example, at our local enduro race last year I was standing behind the 16 yr old groms who were in my daughter's high school class and they were flabbergasted that her 58 yr old dad had faster times. Or, that most of the dudes racing masters are easily faster than half the field. That makes ya feel your not so close to over the hill as what you might think when getting out of bed in the morning.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The other day I got passed going up a long 12% grade by some 13 year old on an aluminum hard tail . He couldn't have weighed more than 75 lbs and he passed me like he was on the bus.

The only "good" feeling that I got was knowing that if his arms were duct taped to his side, I could throw him like a spear.

·
Registered
633 Posts
lol, I'm hitting 51 in a couple months. Rode a few times with some folks in their mid-20s and early 30s and they were gasping. Then again rode with a few Strava guys last fall. Holy cripes. After 3hrs of playing catchup, my buddy and I were spent.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This type of behaviour, regardless of age, is the single worst aspect of MTB for me. It's not a race, we're all hacks. Chill the **** out.

The lady gets it worse though, tragic dad-bros trying to pass her just to make their balls feel big, typically it's the weekend only over 40s. Then they come up to her and say **** like "wow you hit the jumps!" or "you're quick for a girl!", although it's only when she's riding with the girl crew, funny that. Or they snake her on the drop in only to ride the brakes and b-line.

I never do group wanks, sorry rides, and never have strava-d. You couldn't pay me to do either, but you can still smell the vibes from those that get off on it on busy days.

·
orthonormal
4,846 Posts
Oh yeah, me too! My ego is so strong and I'm sooo mature that I never get pulled into an infantile game of one-upsmanship!
:D
Lol. I catch myself going a little harder when others are around but it has nothing to do with age. I guess I'm used to expecting old guys to be fast from my XC race days in the '90s.

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
It’s all meaningless unless everyone involved is purposefully racing. You might be able to pass someone one time but that person might be on his fifth day in a row of riding, on mile 80 of a 100 mile day, on an active recovery day, or even just courteous enough to let you by since you look like you’re an old man who looks like he’s about to die trying to catch up. Check your head and chill yourself out. It’s not a competition (unless it actually is).

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think I’m in good shape, and regularly pass younger riders , but for the first time EVER, I was passed by a young woman this summer. She smoked me through the twisties and never looked back.

Man, my poor ego kept coming up with excuses about that for nearly a week.

So, I hope I see her again on the trails and can hang with her this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
I think I’m in good shape, and regularly pass younger riders , but for the first time EVER, I was passed by a young woman this summer. She smoked me through the twisties and never looked back.

I'm in the Wasatch...we all wonder who "Golden Dream" is. She kicks our collective asses regularly (for the record, huge numbers of women are faster than me)!
I never mess with the ladies, ever since my experience golfing, when I found a golf ball stuck in a cow's butt and a woman - looking for her ball - came up. I lifted the cow's tail and asked "excuse me ma'am, does this look like yours"? I was in the hospital for 6 weeks! (Okay, it's an old Morey Amsterdam joke, but I couldn't resist).

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Long grinder climbs and I'll get left for dead by most...

Give me a technical climb and it's a different story.

One day out on the trail, I was sitting at a junction which has a picnic table (think walkers must use trail quite a bit).

As I was sitting enjoying nature, listening to the sounds, breathing in the fresh air.

Three young fellas in their mid to late twenties came into the junction from another vein.

They were razzing each other.

I tipped my lid and said hello.

They continued on up a rather tricky long climb.

Imagine a fire road about 500m long, full of bomb holes, sniper roots and large greasy boulders.

You would struggle to build something more technical.

I usually clean this track when it's dry.

Today it wasn't dry and I probably bat around .500 when it's wet.

Anyhow, I hear them swearing and carrying on as they get to a real crux point about 50m in.

I'm riding my Trek Full Stache 8, which is amazing on technical trails.

The 29x3.0 tires eat up the gnar.

The young fellas hear me coming while they're all dismounted.

They've stopped right in the middle of the greasy **** sandwich.

I'll never forget the look on one of the fellas faces as they're courteously moving off the side to let me through.

His eyes were on stalks and his mouth agape.

As I proceeded to float up the trail with minimal effort.

I nodded my head and said thanks, as the young buck must have been questioning his machismo.

Priceless.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

·
nOOb
476 Posts
With age comes a loss of top end speed, but sometimes the endurance is still there. I'm 52 and I don't race mountain bike or road bike anymore. But I run ultras, and to finish a really long race like 50 miles or longer and to see fit young men come in after me totally destroyed, hell yea I feel good about it. It's not like I don't bust my ass training for it. I also get beat by younger guys and gals, but some of these races have a lot of older people towards the top.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It’s all meaningless unless everyone involved is purposefully racing. You might be able to pass someone one time but that person might be on his fifth day in a row of riding, on mile 80 of a 100 mile day, on an active recovery day, or even just courteous enough to let you by since you look like you’re an old man who looks like he’s about to die trying to catch up. Check your head and chill yourself out. It’s not a competition (unless it actually is).
Therein lies the treachery. But I get it, not everyone understands Mamet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Long grinder climbs and I'll get left for dead by most...

Give me a technical climb and it's a different story.

One day out on the trail, I was sitting at a junction which has a picnic table (think walkers must use trail quite a bit).

As I was sitting enjoying nature, listening to the sounds, breathing in the fresh air.

Three young fellas in their mid to late twenties came into the junction from another vein.

They were razzing each other.

I tipped my lid and said hello.

They continued on up a rather tricky long climb.

Imagine a fire road about 500m long, full of bomb holes, sniper roots and large greasy boulders.

You would struggle to build something more technical.

I usually clean this track when it's dry.

Today it wasn't dry and I probably bat around .500 when it's wet.

Anyhow, I hear them swearing and carrying on as they get to a real crux point about 50m in.

I'm riding my Trek Full Stache 8, which is amazing on technical trails.

The 29x3.0 tires eat up the gnar.

The young fellas hear me coming while they're all dismounted.

They've stopped right in the middle of the greasy **** sandwich.

I'll never forget the look on one of the fellas faces as they're courteously moving off the side to let me through.

His eyes were on stalks and his mouth agape.

As I proceeded to float up the trail with minimal effort.

I nodded my head and said thanks, as the young buck must have been questioning his machismo.

Priceless.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
This is beautiful.

·
Registered
15,731 Posts

My town is filled with current pros, retired pros, Olympians, collegiate, and elite athletes. Fast and talented women are not an unusual thing around here.

·
Registered
369 Posts
At 51 I can relate to many of these stories.

One good one happened in 2019.
I usually ride a modern Top Fuel, but I decided to air out the old i-Drive Team.
The bike is a sleeper: it is seriously fast on the right trail.
It is barely 24lbs with saddle bag, frame pump, real tools, bottle cage, trail bell, 100mm stem, bar ends (which I love) and old style cycle computer. It has S-Works Fast Traks with latex tubes.
That bike still holds 2 full-trail PRs that I haven't been able to top with modern bikes.

I pulled the bike off the rack and there were some young guys chatting, and they had nice, modern rides.
I repeatedly heard heard "bar-ends" and "long a$$ stem" from the group with some chuckling.

They went into the trail several minutes before me.
I caught and passed them less than half way through the trail.
The look on their faces... priceless.

I politely called passes.
They were pretty polite, and one said "damn, you go dude!"

There's also a guy who has to be in his sixties who I've seen riding with some very young guys, and they move like an absolute freight train to the trails. They're insanely fast!

Bob

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
My favourite one was accidental and due to luck rather than skill or superior fitness.

About three years ago I was out on my 1955 Dawes Windrush, dropbars, skinny tyres, hubgears, and 1950s brakes, ie ok for road, but useless on really steep stuff..
I was with a friend and we'd just ridden up a long ascent in the mountains.

When we got to the top the descent looked a bit dodgy for my liking so my mate went down first on his bike. He was to yell from the bottom if it was ok.

At the bottom there was a group of young guys on full suspension bikes debating whether it was a doable descent when he came plummeting down on a rigid bike. They were very impressed at this old guy (50 year old) riding it on a rigid bike.

Anyhow I heard his yell and headed down. What I didn't realise was he was yelling for me to go back the way we'd come.

I was terrified. The bike was bounding from rock to rock on the very steep loose rocky descent, I couldn't see where I was going clearly because the vibration was giving me double vision, and my brakes were full on, but serving ornamental value only. I just gave the bike its head and hung on. Oddly my main concern was that my forks would fold under, I didn't want my somewhat rare but scruffy old bike damaged.

I arrived at the bottom followed by a mini avalanche of loose rocks and a cloud of dust, barely missing the group of youngsters. My friend had kindly warned them "Look out! Santa Claus is coming down and he's got no brakes," (I was 73 and with the white beard) so fortunately they had moved off the line. I managed to stop about 20 feet past them.

My mate called out, "See, it wasn't bad was it?" He's Australian, I knew he was winding up the young guys, so I yelled back, "Yeah, but it's right bastard to ride up."

I'm not sure what they thought about that, but we rode off chuckling at the thought of them trying to ride up it.

I was just relieved to have not bent the bike, oh, and still being alive.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,422 Posts
My favourite one was accidental and due to luck rather than skill or superior fitness.

About three years ago I was out on my 1955 Dawes Windrush, dropbars, skinny tyres, hubgears, and 1950s brakes, ie ok for road, but useless on really steep stuff..
I was with a friend and we'd just ridden up a long ascent in the mountains.

When we got to the top the descent looked a bit dodgy for my liking so my mate went down first on his bike. He was to yell from the bottom if it was ok.

At the bottom there was a group of young guys on full suspension bikes debating whether it was a doable descent when he came plummeting down on a rigid bike. They were very impressed at this old guy (50 year old) riding it on a rigid bike.

Anyhow I heard his yell and headed down. What I didn't realise was he was yelling for me to go back the way we'd come.

I was terrified. The bike was bounding from rock to rock on the very steep loose rocky descent, I couldn't see where I was going clearly because the vibration was giving me double vision, and my brakes were full on, but serving ornamental value only. I just gave the bike its head and hung on. Oddly my main concern was that my forks would fold under, I didn't want my somewhat rare but scruffy old bike damaged.

I arrived at the bottom followed by a mini avalanche of loose rocks and a cloud of dust, barely missing the group of youngsters. My friend had kindly warned them "Look out! Santa Claus is coming down and he's got no brakes," (I'm was 73 and with the white beard) so fortunately they had moved off the line. I managed to stop about 20 feet past them.

My mate called out, "See, it wasn't bad was it?" He's Australian, I knew he was winding up the young guys, so I yelled back, "Yeah, but it's right bastard to ride up."

I'm not sure what they thought about that, but we rode off chuckling at the thought of them trying to ride up it.

I was just relieved to have not bent the bike, oh, and still being alive.
LOLZ x2!
=sParty

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I enjoy beating sponsored/pro riders on Strava.
They dont know they are racing me on that obscure segment and are probably just cruising. But none the less I beat there professional arse!.....

·
Professional Crastinator
6,003 Posts
Better?

Yes. In my 20's, my buddy and I passed 2 off-road motorcycles on a trail in GA. They tried to stay ahead of us, but eventually they just let us go. They were "tired"...shaking off their arm pump and whatnot.

As far as passing "younger" riders, it happens a lot. We have a lot of noobs here. The actual racers can still blow my doors off.

-F

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
Tell me, is there anything better?
I really like passing roadies on my bikepacking mountain bike with 2.8" tires, fenders and a rear rack. I'll ride it from home to the trails and back so I run into a fair number of roadies on the "transit" legs to/from. :p

I had one roadie ask politely if he could draft my e-bike since he was tired. I said sure, but this ain't no e-bike! I guess my frame bags/plus tires fooled him. :geek:

21 - 40 of 58 Posts