Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me, nothing beats the feeling of passing the younger guys. Yesterday I was bearing down on some young bucks during a techie climb on my local trails. They were having trouble staying hooked up and I wasn't. They had to get off their bikes to let me pass. It was after I had already put in about 12 miles. It doesn't happen often but I enjoy the hell out of it when it does. In this case, it was due more to technique than fitness, probably.

Tell me, is there anything better?

In the words of David Mamet: Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
"Young guy" here (28). I've improved drastically over the last year, and I think I'm pretty quick...often around the top 20% on Strava.

Still, there are some 'old timers' that I see occasionally that make me feel like I'm standing still.

A lot of my trails are very windy with tons of switchbacks, so I can usually see people way ahead or behind. There's one group of older folks sometimes that I'll see coming, and then I spend the next 15 minutes trying to stay ahead. When they inevitably catch up and pass, I just do my best to keep up as long as possible and hope I learn something. They make it looks so easy, like they're barely trying.

Respect.

I hope I'm that good and that fit when I reach that age. Y'all give me something to aspire to.

·
9 lives
15,608 Posts
I try not to feel over confident when facing an opponent... no matter what sport or activity. (People underestimate me too :) ) But I understand your feeling Prognosticator!

My father-in-law is an avid chess player and is a member of a chess club. Since the pandemic his club has now been playing on line. Even more interesting is that with internet, he can now play chess against enthusiasts from around the world and he is ranked at approx. 1007th. out of 300000 online members. What makes this even more remarkable is that my father-in law is 96 yrs old (he'll turn 97 in April) ... Can you imagine being a young chess whippersnapper full of piss n vinegar getting an ass kicking by some who is almost 100?:D

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
It's testosterone. My wife used to joke that if a pretty woman skied by me, it was no big deal, but if a young guy skied by me I would ditch her to show him up!
It's better if they don't know they're in a race, of course, until it's too late.

·
Combat Wombat
1,589 Posts
There is a local guy 20 years older than me and on a Wednesday evening group ride, he would often start out with us and then at some point, would roll up on my back tire and holler out, "I am cooling off back here Brian". It was so [email protected] obnoxios, but I could help not keep from laughing. He would then pass me and by the time the rest of us finished, he would be in the parking lot drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette. I used to tell him I could go faster, but his comments distracted me. I changed jobs about 6 years ago and because I work mostly evenings now, have not ridden with him in awhile. I am sure he would still say that to me. We have known each other for a long time and it is all in good fun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a local guy 20 years older than me and on a Wednesday evening group ride, he would often start out with us and then at some point, would roll up on my back tire and holler out, "I am cooling off back here Brian". It was so [email protected] obnoxios, but I could help not keep from laughing. He would then pass me and by the time the rest of us finished, he would be in the parking lot drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette. I used to tell him I could go faster, but his comments distracted me. I changed jobs about 6 years ago and because I work mostly evenings now, have not ridden with him in awhile. I am sure he would still say that to me. We have known each other for a long time and it is all in good fun.
That's funny but I can see it being annoying.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There’s always going to be someone faster than you and my ego isn’t threatened too easily. There’s nothing more douchey than an old guy acting like he’s a badass on the trail so I don’t get all aggro.
Yeah, that's why I didn't stop and piss on their front wheel before I passed them:)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Nothing as humbling as getting passed by the old dude wearing blue jeans and a sleeveless white t-shirt with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth

·
Armature speller
Kona Unit, Giant Anthem, Specialized Stumpjumper, Specialized Secteur
3,718 Posts
My favorite at the moment is when you're on the fire road doing climbing intervals and you quickly catch an e-biker who hears you and mutters "you'd better have a motor", and then "aw, ****" when you go past.
They don't need to know you're bleeding out your eyeballs with the effort though. Some smooth breathing and a calm "gidday" or "nice evening for a ride" is enough.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,435 Posts
At what age does treachery become a virtue?
I think it’s right around 60. :)
=sParty

·
Registered
370 Posts
When I see old guys climbing like that, I tell my wife, I want to be like that guy when I'm in my 60's. They are the coolest guys ever! House paid for, truck paid for, cool bike, mud everywhere, still in good shape, and don't care what anyone thinks about how they look in tights. LOL! Ride on man!

·
Premium Member
8,751 Posts
I don't really think about it unless I'm behind the guy who doesn't make the climb, in which case I feel no regret when I tell him to move! ;)

I'm a good climber in the tech stuff, so I tend to take the lead. All my riding buddies are younger than me, been that way since my forties.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts