Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm too tirde to say much, let alone tyep correctly, but yeah, man- hell of a ride. :)

Hope Dennis (not Ogre, another Dennis) made it back ok.

I only snapped a couple of pics, and here they are.

1) Zon's friend Jeff boated us across the lake with aplomb and wound up with a very dirty boat (anyone else have better pics of this?).

2) Chuck (imridingmybike) lets a snot rocket fly.

3) Another ham at the same spot. I'm drawing a blank on the name, sorry.

4) My leg when the ride was done. Contrary to info in the brochure, it was muddy.

5) Our fearless leader. Well done, my good man.

fp

Attachments

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Finch Platte said:
I'm too tirde to say much, let alone tyep correctly, but yeah, man- hell of a ride. :)

Hope Dennis (not Ogre, another Dennis) made it back ok.

I only snapped a couple of pics, and here they are.

1) Zon's friend Jeff boated us across the lake with aplomb and wound up with a very dirty boat (anyone else have better pics of this?).

2) Chuck (imridingmybike) lets a snot rocket fly.

3) Another ham at the same spot. I'm drawing a blank on the name, sorry.

4) My leg when the ride was done. Contrary to info in the brochure, it was muddy.

5) Our fearless leader. Well done, my good man.

fp
Duuuuude.

Wow.

8 hours. 50 miles, 45 of singletrack. 5,000 elevation.

Wow.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts

That's one hell of a patch of psoraisis

I didn't ride the whole distance due to excessive leg cramps and bypassed the last 10 or so miles of sweet singletrack. My recorded data is skewed as such. If you went the full distance, add in about 8-10 miles and 1000 to 1500' of additional elevation gain.

Plot this dweeb: Google Earth
Summary Data
Total Time (h:m:s)7:45:21
Moving Time (h:m:s)5:06:53
Distance (mi )42.54
Moving Speed (mph)8.3 avg.
Elevation Gain (ft)+5,283 / -5,219

·
Registered
667 Posts
Good Ride Everyone

That was a killer ride. I hope everyone had a good time at pizza. Sorry I had to bounce early, wife made lasagna and I ate about half of it. Thanks to all who showed up and made it a fun ride. thanks to Brad for carting lunch up to us. It was great to meet everybody and put a face to the handle. Looking forward to another epic.......D-ville the hard way?????

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
1st Annual "FLEA" ride: Folsom Lake Epic Adventure

Yep, Zon put together a doozy. Congrats for pulling it off. Please tell your boat driver and lunch driver "Thanks" from me.

That was a blast of a ride. I'd like to do it again soon. Met some new people too. "Folsom Breakouts", sheese, what a motly crew. Maybe next time they can ride a little faster. Speaking of riding faster, did you notice how fast FP rode at the end of the ride? Like a horse heading to the barn, that kid flew past everyone. On a singlespeed too!

How many Singlespeeder were there anyway?

Only a couple of small mishaps, err, well, we had to leave someone in the backcountry with at least a 9 mile walk out. I'm guessing he made it out ok, because he wasn't in the news as missing.

This was one cross country excursion where you really did not want to get off the bike to take pics. And to think of it, it's also one where I didn't want to stay on the bike either.

Too bad Dan'ger had the Bonks. That trail is a great section. But, Bonks happens. Next time you'll make it.

Looking forward to another of Zon's excellent adventures,

Attachments

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm thinking...

imjps said:
How many Singlespeeder were there anyway?
...there were 5. There are 4 on the ground in this pic, and I think one more?

That Eye In The Sky pic is pretty cool. I can see every bump!

fp

I'm not wupped today (Chuck you really need to work on your diet :eek: ), but the spins are making a reappearance. :mad: I gotta get this sh!t fixed.

Edit: According to Mary, 4 of the Breakouts were on SS'es, so plus Steve & I, that's 6.

Attachments

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,019 Posts
Zon's Big Adventure

Well I'm still recovering from the ride. I actually don't feel that bad right now. Didn't have a chance to post last night and was busy this morning. So I just figured I would throw this one picture up for now and get some more later. For a little context:
Worried about mud??

Don't be. I rode from Bicycles + to Doton Point yesterday and the trails were pristine. Very little mud or standing water, and what there was was easily avoidable. Check this excuse off your list and think of another.
All kidding aside, thanks for an awesome ride Zon.

Attachments

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
Anyone have GPS and stats that include the section from New York Creek to **** 8?

BTW Dennis made it home by 4:30. His wife picked him up at Falcon Crest. Apparently he got his bike working enough to limp in on Salmon Falls Road.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
zon said:
Anyone have GPS and stats that include the section from New York Creek to **** 8?

BTW Dennis made it home by 4:00. His wife picked him up a Falcon Crest. Apparently he got his bike working enough to limp in on Salmon Falls Road.
Hey Bob, check your PM. Still waiting for an email address to send the .gpx file. I doubt there was a GPS of that section as imjps and I were likely the only riders with GPSs and we both bailed at NYC.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks for a great day...

Thanks for a great day zon. One the best days I've ever had on a bike. The ferry crossing made for a truly unique experience. I posted some of my better pics at the link below. I took very few pics after the lunch break. I was trying (unsuccessfully) to keep up with bigboulder and I probably would've seized up if I stopped for too long.

2006 Folsom (around the) Lake Epic

·
Trail Goddess
988 Posts
Great shots everybody. Wished I could have been there to help out. FP, did you enjoy my gift? Hope you haven't worn her out yet. :D

Fiona

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
A day later, I'm psyched I did the ride. In the parking lot immediately after completing the epic, I felt like donating my bike to charity.... but maybe that's cause I doubled my miles for the year in one looooong ride. I'll be better prepared next time.

Kudos to Zon for organizing, and congrats on everyone for hammering. Great group. Props to the 4 Breakouts on SS, as well as the other MTBRers that did the ride with one gear!

On behalf of those of us who ride with the Folsom Breakouts, thanks for including us.... and for those of you that live locally, join us one Tuesday night... come for the ride, stay for the $10-all-you-can-eat/drink pizza & beer. Every Tuesday, year-round, 6pm departure from the same parking lot in Old Folsom.

Here are some photos from Mary, our sole female hammerhead (on SS no less):
http://www.epicride.shutterfly.com

-Jeff (the guy in the prison stripes)

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope no one sees this.

We would lose all credibility.

fp

Edit: There are some of you who really need to learn to watch for the guy behind you, to make sure they see where to go. :mad:

·
Registered
667 Posts
That was a tough 50 miles of gravel road!!!!!

That was the last time i saw Dennis on the Maverick. That was around mile 6. Poor guy. I know he was looking forward to the ride. Thanks for the nice shot of my pooper.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
What a ride

I enjoyed reading about this one. Glad there was some time to get some pics, but they all seem to fade off after lunch...

Dan'ger's and imjps indicate 45 miles - so it was 55 miles and around 6000' climb for the rest! :eek:

I can't figure out how you can get so much climb out of just a 500' elevation, but those profiles do look like a noise spectrum with 100' RMS amplitude.

Seems like a fun loop. Perhaps in a year or so I'll be able to do this in reasonable time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.