Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to give a big thanks to all that help out on the beginner's corner, I have been doing alot of reading before I posted this time and even used the search some.

Well I made the lone trip to the bike shop about two weeks ago and came away with a 08 Giant Yukon.The blue and white !! Bike shop was not much help in helping out or fitting the bike . Its two hrs away anyway !! Did not want to come home empty handed after spending that much on gas!! I spent the first week fitting the bike too me handle bars, seat so on.
Just doing it a little bit at a time . Its been along time cents working with a bike and a lot has change !!!!!!!!! :eekster:

1. I ride the bike every day to work and back 10 to 12 miles a day depends on witch way I go LOL !! on gravel roads , sand , red clay and so on.And I take out on the trail on the weekends. The chain and components around it get a lot of sand and dirt on it. How often should I take the chain off and clean it ??
The chain does not have a master link in it , should I go ahead and break the chain and put a master link in it. Trying to take care of it, make things last as long as I can .

2. This weekend I bent the seat rails , must of happen closer to the end of the ride.
When I went to ride it to work to day is when I really found out how bad it was..
I had the seat slid all the way back , that is where it sit the best. Going to get a new seat but what do I need to do to fit this ??It I don't have the seat all the way back I end up sitting on the back edge of it.It has the stock seat post and seat or did on the seat.

I am 5' 10" about 185 and my in seem is 29". I have the handle bars roll as high as I can get them. Just not sure what to do about the seat, don't want to have to buy a seat every time I ride the trails ??:madman:

Any help or info would be great.
Goose

·
Registered
23 Posts
To clean the chain you can buy a cleaning kit so you wont have to dismantle the chain. The kit comes with a chain-cleaning tool that will clean the chain. Us for when to clean the chain I would recommend to clean it whenever there is visible dirt build up on the chain. Also try to avoid riding in sand, since that act like sand paper on the drive train

Here is the link for the chain-cleaning kit http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Chain-Cleaning-System/dp/B000WG6RVS

·
Registered
249 Posts
A laid back seat post or one with more set back may help but I can tell you I'm a 200lb rider with the seat all the way back as well and haven't bent mine it going on two years and LOTS of miles. I generally get up out of the saddle in the rough stuff. You also may want to look at saddles with cromolly or titanium rails.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
1. I wipe my chain off after every ride. Relube when needed. I have a masterlink, but I don't let my chain get dirty enough that I have to take it off to clean it.

2. When you buy a new saddle, take a look at the with of the saddle where your sit-bones go. If the stock is comfy, get one that is the same size and shape. Some places do have a fitting method for saddles. Also, many shops allow you to swap out saddles until you find one that is comfortable.

Do you have your saddle all the way back so you have more reach with your arms? A longer stem could help. Sounds like you need to be properly fitted to your bike. It's a shame the shop didn't go over everything with you when you bought the bike.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
well you dont necessarly need a new saddle, you can bend the rails back especially if its the cheap saddle thats stock on your bike, just grab a hold of the low side and give it some force, or use a straight claw hammer for some mega leverage, my dad bashes up seat rails and we fix them once or twice a month

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info. Have come up with a seat to get me buy till I can get back to a different bike shop !!
Still not sure how I done it , I spent a lot more time off the seat then on while on the trails.
thanks again .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.