Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to briefly express my thanks to all those who involved in planning and setting up the Poker Run at Wissahickon. I thought that it was very well done and enjoyed it immensely. I only hope that it becomes a regular event. Once again, many thanks.

·
Banned
71 Posts
lushmd said:
I just wanted to briefly express my thanks to all those who involved in planning and setting up the Poker Run at Wissahickon. I thought that it was very well done and enjoyed it immensely. I only hope that it becomes a regular event. Once again, many thanks.
You are welcome. We plan to make it an annual event.

·
Inbred Homebrewer
847 Posts
lushmd said:
Yep, it was a great event. Couldn't have asked for a nicer day, and everyone I ran into on the trails seemed to be having a great time. It was good to see Tom Pelikan and other FOW members out there, if for no other reason than to have them see all of the riders who turned out in support of the park - reinforcing the fact that the MTB community does care a great deal about the trails in the Wissahickon valley and helping to disprove the misconception that we're all just a bunch of rude and inconsiderate wheeled menaces who do more harm than good.

Great job, JAR, REI, et al. I look forward to next year. Hopefully, I'll draw a better hand! (JQK48...#$^#^@!) :rolleyes:

·
Respect Your Trails
329 Posts
Poker Run

The Poker Run was a great time. I really hope it does take off as an annual event. With such a great turnout for the first one I'm sure it will. Not to mention how smoothly it ran and how well organized it was...there shouldn't be a problem getting more and more people to come back each year. I'm glad I could be a part of such a cool event, which benefits the park I ride all the time. Once again, a thanks goes out to everyone involved.

Oh yea, plus it was the first time I've ever seen a tube explode like that while not riding! That thing was shredded. Good stuff.

·
Inbred Homebrewer
847 Posts
dahoos said:
Oh yea, plus it was the first time I've ever seen a tube explode like that while not riding! That thing was shredded. Good stuff.
LOL. I was sitting on the ground right in front of the guy with the 'exploding' tire. That was crazy. I thought somebody threw a firecracker into the crowd. Then I saw the tire all blown off the rim. Wild.

·
Respect Your Trails
329 Posts
Firecracker

Ha ha ha! I was about 10 feet away. I know I jumped back. The best part was the guy didn't know it was him...he was looking around too, until he started spinning his wheel and realized there was pieces of rubber sticking out of the rim where there shouldn't have been!

Stick said:
LOL. I was sitting on the ground right in front of the guy with the 'exploding' tire. That was crazy. I thought somebody threw a firecracker into the crowd. Then I saw the tire all blown off the rim. Wild.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
awesome ride!

and eric? (i think that was your name) if you check back here it was a blast riding with you!

i ended up with a pair of kings that scored me some schwagtastic maxxis tires making my 20 bucks the best money i ever spent to ride!

maybe just one thing if i may.... maybe give the checkpoint guys and/or the guys at the end of the ride a few snacks to hand out to riders along the way??? i was thinking i was gonna get food and stuff so i packed pretty light and was just fine. but i am sure others would have appreciated a bananna or two at the last checkpoint before those killer final climbs.... JUST A THOUGHT i am in no way want to take away from the great effort/ride you guys produced saturday.

GREAT JOB!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Great job

best time i had out this year. i especially appreciate how organized things were and the quality of people that mountain bike. my wife is always saying how much nicer MTB'ers are than the folks in our own neighborhood(north philly).

the exploding tire was the coolest, i thought i was home for a second.and i was sitting on the bench across from him and almost pooped myself.

and thanks to all the guys out there for helping my daughters already swollen head get bigger with all the compliments. i tried to get her to go on the beginners course (for fear of someone maybe running her over ) but she wasnt having that.

i'm already looking forward for the next event that JAR puts together

·
Inbred Homebrewer
847 Posts
bigkeith said:
and thank to all the guys out there for helping my daughters already swollen head get bigger with all the compliments. i tried to get her to got the beginners course (for fear of someone maybe running her over ) but she wasnt having that.

i'm already looking forward for the next event that JAR puts together
Hey bigkeith,

I ran into your wife and daughter out on the trail after the checkpoint by Indian statue, and followed your daughter up one of the longer climbs toward the end of the 'difficult' course. I was very impressed. She seemed to be having a little trouble getting her right foot clipped in to her pedal (might want to take a look at that and her cleat!) but she just kept on grindin' away up that hill, regardless. Really cool...

My friend and I were sitting on the ground just to the right of the three of you when the tire blew.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey,
Im the tool with the exploding tire!!! The tires were Kenda's that my buddy gave me off his haro. They were Blue groove (front) and Nevagal (rear). Both 26x2.35. Right after I mounted them about 2 months ago, the nevagal blew, bead separated from tire. Thats how the front blew...good thing it didnt happen on one of the many rocky sections there... :confused: I liked the front heard good things about the nevagal, had him order me a new pair (he is a manager of a shop here in NJ) 2.35's with the sticky rubber compound, and downhill castings. Really like them...but they are HEAVY. May buy another 2.3 conti, and eBay the kendas.....Besides Im a little nervous with kendas now.

Anyway,
awesome event, havent been to the wiss in 2 yrs, been riding the local nj parks thru the winter, and was mostly on the road last summer........forgot how much fun the rocky desends there are....May hit the wiss after work tomorrow.
Bryan
BTW who is going to Jim thorpe MBW....I may start a new thread.

·
rider
808 Posts
max-a-mill - If I had snacks at my checkpoint (#4/5) I would have shared. I was getting hungry myself!

bigkeith - Your daughter deserves the ego boost! She put some of the guys to shame! :D I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her come motoring up that switchback climb.

Thanks for coming out,

Scott @ Indian statue checkpoint

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.