Built by the Walton Family....

More:
https://ozarkoffroadcyclists.com/html/news.html

YouTube:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIL8Ij3_D6E

Mountain Bike Trail Open For Healthier Lifestyles
System Available For Beginning, Advanced Riders
Richard Dean Prudenti | The Morning News

BENTONVILLE -- Freedom. Nature. Self-exploration. Life.

Those who made possible the new Slaughter Pen Hollow Mountain Bike Trail in north Bentonville say the sport offers all this and more to mountain bikers -- whether you're a novice preferring the single track "easy line" or a hard-core biker wanting to master the challenge of log rides and the "free ride" park.

Freedom

"A lot of people don't know what it's like to be in the air," said Don West, an avid mountain bike rider.

West, while touring the free ride section of the mountain bike trail, pointed out a berm meant for beginning riders to experience what it's like being in the air. Next to it is a "rhythm section," a series of flat-top berms identical in height for more experienced bikers. Next to that are the "gap jumps" for the most advanced riders to do more difficult bike tricks such as 360-degree spins in the air.

"Everyone is out there for a different experience," the 31-year-old West said. "Freedom is the most important thing. Just enjoying life. Not just living life or letting life happen to you, but living life to the fullest."

While the cross-country part of the trail is meant to get a rider from point A to point B, the "free ride" park helps bikers develop skills on man-made structures such as ladder bridges and other elevated riding surfaces.

At least 40 riders each day are expected to use the five-mile mountain bike trail West helped design and build north of Northwest "A" Street while working for The Grey Barn landscaping company in Fayetteville.

The trails are open to nonmotorized bicycles only, promoting human power and an adrenaline rush like no other, West said.

Self-Exploration

Tom Walton, 23, thought of building the mountain bike trail and saw it to completion.

"It's hard to understand what it's like," unless you are a bike rider, Walton said. "I'm able to clear my thoughts -- a feeling of gratitude and wellness. Everyone on that ride has that same feeling."

Walton said he wanted an outlet so he and others can enjoy the meditative aspect of bike riding in Bentonville.

Walton was born and raised in Bentonville and found his joy of mountain biking in Flagstaff, Ariz., where he went to college. There, he joined the community of mountain bikers and took advantage of about 200 miles of single-track mountain bike trails in the area.

"(Slaughter Pen Hollow) will help differentiate Bentonville from the rest of Northwest Arkansas, to put us on the map as a biking community," he said.

The mountain bike trail is named after the early slaughter houses in Bentonville located in that same valley during the early 20th century. A nearby dirt road also bears the name Slaughter Pen Hollow.

Nature

Unlike riding a bike on a paved trail, mountain biking "connects you to the natural beauty of the area," West said.

West is also president of the Ozark Off Road Cyclists, a nonprofit group with about 120 members that promotes responsible mountain biking, trail maintenance and preservation of green spaces.

Trail construction preserved most existing trees and took advantage of natural terrain.

At one spot, called "Gnar" -- as in "gnarly" -- a 50- to 60-foot downed tree provides a natural "log ride" for bikers. Advanced riders can veer off the 18- to 24-inch cross-country trail and use their skills to ride on top of a series of planks on top of the log and attempt not to fall off.

The score of log rides off the main trail give advanced riders a chance to push the limits and find a more invigorating experience.

There is no shame in mountain biking, "so ride within your abilities," Walton said. "Take it slow. The technical section is not for everyone."

Life

The park's location within the city limits is fitting for those who want to stay in shape.

"I loved the proximity. There are tons of neighborhoods around it. The idea is you can ride to the trail from your house," Walton said.

Drivers can use the North Bentonville trail parking lot on North Walton Boulevard about a half-mile from the mountain bike trail head.

The Bentonville/Bella Vista Trailblazers organization dedicated the 130-acre trail property to Bentonville on Wednesday.

Walton also hopes Bentonville takes the mountain bike program a step further by building many more miles of bike routes, especially downtown, to enable riding to work rather than in cars.

West said the exercise from riding bikes helps provide a better quality of life for people.

"They are going to take care of their body and most will eat right, as well, and hopefully live healthier and longer lives because of their active lifestyle," he said.

Grand Opening

Makers of the Slaughter Pen Hollow Mountain Bike Trail System have planned a grand opening from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday. Attendees will have the chance to win a Cannondale mountain bike, eat pork sandwiches, drink coffee and gather information about Ozark Off Road Cyclists.

Directions:
"Take I-540 north to Exit 93 (Bentonville). The road goes back under the interstate and heads south on N. walton Blvd. Drive about 1/2 mile to N Bentonville walking trail trailhead. Follow the paved trail to the mountain bike park trailhead. Can't miss it."

More pics:

Pix from from a KC area board

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
cactuscorn

How do the jumps feel? I'm going this weekend for the Grand Opening. I've heard from a couple people it's easy to over jump a couple of them. I'll try to post up some new images from saturday, if i get some good shots.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
just saw yer post. im not much of a jumper, yet, but the stuff we hit was pretty sweet. woody did a excellent job. what did you think? lookin fwd to the GO report. kinda surprised theres not much bein said about it so far.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It was totally rad, I'm not much of a DJ'er either, I actually ended up crashing prettu good on the last table(dead sailor style) and landed with my leg stiff, jacked my knee up. I got a a lot of good shots though that i will post after i resize the images. E2

·
12,942 Posts
drag about the knee. hope alls well soon. cant wait to see the shots and gettin folks pumped about the park. our trip was short and the weather kinda sucked so we didnt take many ourselves. next time!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
here goes nothing

Just a few from the Grand Opening. The atmosphere there was great, all the people were getting along great no shi# talking between 20"er's and mtbr's, and there were a few kids having a fun time on the tabletops at the bottom. The wallride is huge, i think it's like 16'x20'. I will definitely be going back soon, and hope to be able to get up there once a week, or at least once a month. The level of riding by the 20"er's was OFF THA HOOK, Jeremy(the guy gapping the ladder bridges) was doing 360's off of the drops, there were even a couple dudes pullin' backflips. I'll post more photos when i get time. I think there might be some "slaughter pen" stuff on youtube.com. Ride On-E2

Attachments

·
12,942 Posts
nice! im totally into the wall ride but it needs a smooth entry b line for us old men who dont wanna launch off a lip onto it. wait... yer pic shows 1 now. cool! is that guy gappin onto the 6' ramp from the small? sheesh!

il be down on biz occasionally over the next several months. lets stay in touch.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Yeah, there is an alternate line now for the wall ride. And yes that guy on the 20" is gaping the ladder drops, and he rides brake-less! PM me next time you're in town and we can go hit up the park, I'll show you some other trails around here if you have the extra time. Ride On- E2

·
12,942 Posts
will do e2. not sure when its gonna be but it wont be long. the v-3 rfx should be in hand in a few weeks, then its off to the black hills fat tire fest in late may. maybe soon after that. what other trails ya have in mind?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Here you Catus

More photos of Slaughter Pen, the GNAR ladder ride on the cross country trail, and the bigger of the ladder drops. I actually had more fun on my hardtail than with my 6" bike. The transitions are just awesome. The track was too wet to ride the jumps, but the ladder drop was so fun I had to hit it 5-6 times in a row.

Attachments

·
12,942 Posts
nice! very impressive. new bike should be here this week and that means another trip south very soon. maybe ill find some nuts by then and hit some of that action. i see the gnar carved in the tree. is that new or was i blind?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
cactuscorn said:
nice! very impressive. new bike should be here this week and that means another trip south very soon. maybe ill find some nuts by then and hit some of that action. i see the gnar carved in the tree. is that new or was i blind?
That must make 2 of us being blind- I didn't see it until after i posted the images.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts