Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little story to tell you guys. As everyone here knows, I love my Sir 9. About a week after I posted some pics and wrote about how much I loved my bike, I noticed an area with "distorted" paint in the top tube gusset area. After a couple of rides and looking at the spot, I got to thinking about how many times I've heard somebody say, "man, I sure wish I'd taken a picture of that when I first noticed it-a year and a half ago!"

So, I wrote a letter to Niner, emailed it, and followed up with a couple of photographs. Within 24 hours I had an email from Chris and a request for me to call their office. When I called, Chris immediately said that yes, in fact we have a warranty issue and what did I want to do. I think my first reaction was of shock, I had to ask Chris what he meant. He basically said, "what color do you want your new frame to be?"

We then had a brief discussion regarding bike fit and what my current setup was and Chris was of the belief that maybe I should be on an XL, instead of the Lge, so that was what he was going to ship me as soon as he received my frame. I then had that feeling of panic that I was going to be without my bike for at least a week! We worked out an amicable deal where he shipped me the new frame and I just packed my frame in the same box, put the pick up slip on it and took it to my LBS for return pickup (I purchased the original frame through my shop). Chris should have my old frame tomorrow or Tuesday.

This was as seamless as any transaction that I have ever made (assuming Niner gets my bike early this coming week!), not to mention that it was for a warranty situation!

I've ridden the bike about 40 miles this weekend. The XL feels like a stiffer frame. Some of this may be due to having less seatpost exposed. I put a 5 degree 110 Thomson stem on it with my EA 50 riser (I had a 130 on the lge) for the first ride. I flipped the stem down for the second 10 mile stint, big improvement in handling, major improvement climbing! Flipped it back up and rode the same 10 mile section again and suffered in comparison to the low bar position. I have a flat bar on the way.

I rode trail that's very tight with some steep, short, rooty, rocky climbs this morning. I'm pretty sure that Chris was right, I'm loving the XL even more than the Lge already, I can really stretch out and climb on this bike!

Thanks Chris and everyone at Niner Bikes. You went above and beyond and I appreciate it very much.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
This is exactly one of the main reasons why I continue to recommend Niner Bikes to people .... the incredible after sales service and warranty back-up is second to none.

I had a slight problem with a decal on one of my Niners, and the guys did the same deal for me. They sent me a brand new frame directly from the factory, and I sent the old one back in the same box. No riding time was lost.. :)

That sort of service is what makes for great customer relations. That sort of service is why I always recommend their product.

Their bikes aren't bad, either ....... :thumbsup: :D :D :D

R.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Not surprised. Although I've not had any such issues, the guys at Niner have always answered any question(s) I've had about either of my frames.

If/when I buy a full squish frame the Niner will be at the top of my list

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Hey Carter1, what's your measurements, height, inseam and what made you try the Large first? Just asking as I'm in the research phase of getting a RIP 9.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.