Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts
agreed. they are doing a great job up there and i had a great season. will be buying another season pass next year!

since i also have a winter season pass, its now time to start snowing!

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,906 Posts
I agree, great job with the new trails! Rainmaker is awesome. Will get a pass again next year.

Two requests though... a double diamond jump line, and more challenging techy, natural lines. But especially more rocky, techy stuff like High Speed Dirt, Jam Rock and Evenflow at Keystone.

·
Alt-132
1,564 Posts
Yep, that place is real fun.

I've really enjoyed some of the new stuff, like Search & Seizure and the new natural section off of Boulevard. And of course, same as the others, I'd love to see some more natural, rooty, rocky terrain.

Angel Fire is still open for a few more weeks :)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Yep. WP is getting it. Trails tuned to the masses of progressing riders. Tons of fun for almost everybody. Sail it if you can - roll it otherwise. It was fun seeing my wife growing wings this season. On the last day she sailed all features on No Quarter and Be All You Can Be.

Having said that:

WP is still too smooth for serious gravity riding practice. It lacks the natural trails as mentioned before. Even Trestle got groomed to single black diamond level. Going from WP to Keystone, Solvista, Telluride, Angelfire, Whistler or Bootleg is stepping into a new world of nasty gnar.

WP is like too much of a good thing. I need to balance riding there with going other places. Season pass or not is a tough decision and very price dependent.

But don't get me wrong: WP is an awesome place to ride. I do like all the confidence building groomed stuff. I do love seeing the progression the place facilitates. With some natural gnarly trails added it could be the only place I ride.

·
Alt-132
1,564 Posts
I'm the last person to complain about Trestle DH, but yeah, they did groom a few spots on it this year. I wonder what's up with that?

Trestle DH should be full of the gnurr. And, yeah, after riding Whistler gnar, Trestle DH feels like an easy single black (except for a couple steep/rough spots)...roughen that thing up! Go groom the brake bumps on Shy Ann! Leave Trestle rough.

I totally agree on the progression. My wife also stepped up a lot this season, clearing table tops and even rode Trestle DH, which was awesome to see, and now she's real stoked on riding DH.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,906 Posts
With some natural gnarly trails added it could be the only place I ride.
That pretty much sums it up for me.

I love riding at WP and will buy a pass again, BUT... there is nothing even remotely technically challenging at WP. Yes, it is fun trying to ride Trestle as fast as possible, but the challenge comes only from trying to go faster, not from gnarly terrain that is challenging to ride at any speed. I'm talking about rock gardens and steep rollers that are completely absent at WP... and steeper terrain in general. Tight singletrack with challenging switchbacks, like the switchback at the start of Helter at Keystone... rollers like the middle line in High Speed Dirt... gnarly rocks like the optional lines on Jam Rock to the left of the main line right after the wood bridge... and the switchbacks right before the long wood bridge on Evenflow. If Trestle would step up and build some real double black techy trails it would be awesome, because WP's jumps are SOOO much better than Keystone. The section of Rainmaker from 5 points to the start of No Quarter is about the most fun you can have on a bike.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,906 Posts
I'm the last person to complain about Trestle DH, but yeah, they did groom a few spots on it this year. I wonder what's up with that?
I'm not too sad to see the new berms on Trestle DH. The corners were slow, off camber, and a PITA... although I admit they were challenging, especially the last corner before Trestle crosses Boulevard, I saw a lot of people skidding off the trail right there... gotta look ahead :D

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I hope they continue to focus on progression. It's the best park to be a new downhiller and take new downhillers too. And that's where the money is, right? The more people we get into the sport, the more money the DH resorts will make and the better the parks will be. I'd like to see more natural, techy terrain, but I'd also like to see something like an intermediate jump/drop line with go-arounds. There's a girl I've been riding with who has been progressing fast and doing really well, but something like rainmaker or no quarter is still pretty intimidating for her. You can roll all that stuff true, but I think it's more the people barreling down behind her and flying through the air that has her scared to ride it. A blue jump line would allow her to practice without worrying about all the expert riders riding up her ass or crashing into her if she falls. Riders aren't always the nicest to slower riders trying to progress onto the harder trails. Some are downright rude and dangerous. Right now, there's not much to get you ready for a trail like rainmaker other than riding rainmaker. I'm not really sure where to take her other than riding it during a weekday. I'm sure it was crazier up there Sunday because it was the last weekend it was open, but I think she would have followed us down rainmaker if there weren't so many hardcore rippers dropping in all day. She has done smaller jumps and drops before.

The one thing I will say about the buff trails at WP is that it is nice to have some of that stuff where you can take your average AM/trail bike up there and still have a good time without having to rent/buy a full-on big rig. It has great flow too. I do agree that you need at least one trail with some natural chunk though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.